Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > h1n1 vaccine    

h1n1 vaccine

_babz
Canada

h1n1 vaccine

hello fellow teachers...

a while back I read on the forum something about h1n1 vaccine and whether or not it was safe to take it

in my country, I �m one of the first wave of people to have taken it ...and I haven �t felt abnormal....nor sick

I �m sure some of you are worried....at my school...there have been so many cases, well at least now I �m protected

hope this helps Wink

6 Nov 2009      

Dina Isabel
Portugal

Thank you so much for sharing this information. I haven �t taken the vaccine yet, in Portugal things take a while to happen Cry there haven �t been cases of h1n1 at my school, thank God!

6 Nov 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

I haven �t decided yet....

May I add some info?

http://life.familyeducation.com/swine-flu/62173.html?WT.mc_id=FE_Your-Child_0-6_2009-11-02_email

6 Nov 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I �m having my vaccine on the 18th. It was tough to get an appointment. I believe I had the H1N1 a while ago but I �m not taking chances and getting the vaccine even if I may already be immune.

6 Nov 2009     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

There are many confirmed cases in my school here in Hong Kong. It �s just part of life.

In fact, the student I am training for the choral speaking competition is one of those cases.

Neither myself or fellow students have access to vaccine but we are not in the high risk group. Its only warranted here in HK if you have any previous existing conditions or are old/young with weak immune system.

School life goes on ...

6 Nov 2009     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

There are many confirmed cases in my school here in Hong Kong. It �s just part of life.

In fact, the student I am training for the choral speaking competition is one of those cases.

Neither myself or fellow students have access to vaccine but we are not in the high risk group. Its only warranted here in HK if you have any previous existing conditions or are old/young with weak immune system.

School life goes on ...

6 Nov 2009     

Mahalo
United States

I heard on the radio today that all 50 states now are in "high pandemic" conditions. My whole family (including my 10 year old daughter) recieved the shot two weeks ago. We had to wait in line for 2.5 hours. Many places are totally out of the shot. Many local schools are giving the shot for free to students, after parents sign release forms. (We paid $15).

We also got the flu vaccine. That hurt more than the H1N1. Dr. �s are saying that yes, even though the vaccine has not been thoroughly tested yet, it is safer to get the shot, than be sorry.

I am worried about the side effects, especially seeing all the pregnant women getting the shot also. It has not been tested on unborn children yet either.

I also heard on the radio today that a local cat just died of complications and the H1N1. It seems that animals are now susessiptle (sp?) to it also.. VERY SCARY~please get it the shot.!

6 Nov 2009     

Mahalo
United States

I know this is not ESL related, but here is the article from the newspaper...SCARY!
Nov. 4, 2009 -- A 13-year-old cat in Iowa developed signs of a respiratory infection after several people in the household were ill. Preliminary testing was positive for 2009 H1N1 on October 29, and the results were confirmed on November 2. This is the first report of a cat infected with H1N1. The cat has recovered from its illness.

To date, this is the first cat confirmed infected with the 2009 H1N1 virus. Two ferrets, one in Oregon and one in Nebraska, have also recently been confirmed infected with the 2009 H1N1 virus. The Nebraska ferret died, but the Oregon ferret has recovered. To date, there is no evidence that the ferrets or the cat passed the virus to people.

The American Veterinary Medical Association and American Association of Feline Practitioners are reminding pet owners that many viruses can pass between people and animals, so this was not an altogether unexpected event. We are advising pet owners to monitor their pets � health very closely, no matter what type of animal, and visit a veterinarian if there are any signs of illness.

For more information, visit the AVMA �s H1N1 resources Web page: avma.org/public_health/influenza/new_virus.

Be Concerned, Not Panicked

The upshot is that we need to be concerned for our pets, but there �s no need to panic. Knowing that cats and ferrets are susceptible to the swine flu virus adds a heretofore unknown twist to the rapidly developing H1N1 story, but all it means is that you need to take precautions should you develop flu-like symptoms -- even with your pets.

It �s no surprise that the recommendations for reduced human to animal transmission are similar to those for preventing human to human transmission: Cough into your elbow, wash your hands before handling your pets and give them a wide berth until 24 hours post-fever.

Again, take into account that so far it appears as though only humans can transmit H1N1 to cats and ferrets. They haven �t yet given it to us, nor have we given the virus to dogs. Only time will tell whether this will remain the case. Here �s hoping that �s as far as H1N1 goes.

6 Nov 2009     

eng789
Israel

I �m still a bit nervous about taking it.  I got the my regular flu shot about 2 weeks ago.  There have also been some cases in my school.  
I �m glad to hear that you feel okay babz because - personally I feel that they haven �t researched it enough to be confident that there won �t be side affects in the future.  The movie "I Am Legend",  kind of scared me.  

* I would really like to know how many doctors have had the shot.

6 Nov 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I have decided that I will NOT take the shot.  I don �t take regular flu shots either.  I wish everyone a healthy school year. 

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

6 Nov 2009     

ants
Switzerland

I won �t be doing anything either....never get the flu....and Switzerland doesn �t seem to be pushing this issue of vaccinations.
And even if they did...I still say, it �s a personal choice.Hug
Have a good day,
Fiona.

6 Nov 2009     

1    2    Next >