Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > SHOULD STUDENTS PAY FOR REINFORCEMENT AND EXTENSION ACTIVITIES IN A STATE SCHOOL?    

SHOULD STUDENTS PAY FOR REINFORCEMENT AND EXTENSION ACTIVITIES IN A STATE SCHOOL?

JUANBEGI
Spain

SHOULD STUDENTS PAY FOR REINFORCEMENT AND EXTENSION ACTIVITIES IN A STATE SCHOOL?

Hi Everybody!!! I come home so furious today Angry!!! Maybe the topic has nothing to do with the content of the forum but I need to tell you that the manager of my state high school in Spain has ordered the "photocopy" staff not to allow me to make more photocopies to my students because they are have to pay for them. It is a public school and he has let me speechless. However, we celebrate the Andalusia Day, and today all the teachers in my school have drunk wine, cokes, beers and eaten ham, cheese, bread with olive oil and many many more things I cannot remember. The High School has money for these events but from now on I can �t give these maverllous worksheets to my students unless they pay for them. It is so sad!! Please, I need your comfort Cry

25 Feb 2010      

mena22
Portugal

According to Portuguese legislation that is forbidden. We can never ask students which are within compulsory education to pay for any of the worksheets wr give them. Please, check the Spanish legislation. I �m sure it says exactly the same thing. What your Principal can do is limit the amount of copies per teacher. Many schools do that in Portugal. But you are definitely entitled to a certain amount of copies per term, even if a reduced one. As I �ve just suggested, please check the legislation.

25 Feb 2010     

JUANBEGI
Spain

Thank you so much MENA. Your words comfort me. Believe me, it has affected me a lot.

25 Feb 2010     

Judith@rwen
Argentina

Wow! Where I live, and I guess all around my country is the same, we have to pay for the copies we give to the students OR make a booklet at the beginning of the year for students so that they (the students) buy it from a photocopy shop. The school would never pay for it... In fact, this is so installed in our heads that we would never even argue why the State School doesn �t pay for the copies given to students. But I think this is totally wrong! I will also check the legislation!

25 Feb 2010     

lshorton99
China

I feel your pain! I also work in Andalucia (Seville) but in a private academy so the rules are different. Have you talked to the other teachers - do any of them feel the same?

Happy Day of the Teacher for tomorrow! (Private acadamies don �t get the day off so think of us!)

Hug

25 Feb 2010     

memthefirst
Turkey

Here in Turkey we can �t use our schools � budgets for food or drinks.We can only use it for educational affairs.Demanding money from the students in a public school is forbidden in our legislation,too.but many school managers are sometimes obliged to collect money from the students.They pay monthly for photocopies and printer expenses,except the poor.They collect a little money.My school prepares a kind of show for the parents.Teachers and students entertain people.So we raise a huge amount of money at the end of the school year.I think spending money for the teachers � personal needs is unethical and unfair.If you ask me they should be ashamed!!! Besides I do not approve collecting money from the students...We are free to take photocopies as much as we want in my current school and I really appreciate it.I understand how you feel... 

25 Feb 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

I understand you perfectly.I �d follow Mena �s advise ,but  I think that most of the high schools have the sme problem. I guess you �ve heard the word "crisis".Wink
Have a Happy Teacher �s Day tomorrow.Hug

25 Feb 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi,
in France teachers are limited in the amount of photocopies they can make but we definitely can �t ask our pupils to pay for the photocopies... althought we ask our pupils to buy "workbooks" that go with the books we use in class and where there are many exercices... but if you �re not using the book all the time, because you don �t like the themes or whatever, you can �t have more photocopies...
i hope you �ll find a solution! good luck

25 Feb 2010     

JUANBEGI
Spain

Many colleagues think the same. The problem is that most of them remain silent for the fear no to have a good timetible next year. I you don �t accept his rules, you become his enemy. Thank you so much for your words. I am really feeling much better. Thankkkkkkk you!!

25 Feb 2010     

Catalina Sorina
Romania

Well, I work in two public schools - in one we have our xerox machine and each class of students has a pack of printable paper. And this is a school in the "countryside". But in my other school, a city one, it is the teacher who has to pay for the photocopies... And it is one price for a side of a paper, and double the price for two sides... Don �t ask me how my anger is....AngryAngry Especially when you see some of the students throwing the wss in the recicle bin after the class...

25 Feb 2010     

JUANBEGI
Spain

Of course I follow the textbook, but I use (or used)worksheets from esl printables quite often. You know that textbooks not always cover the curriculum the way we would like. On the other hand, it is impossible to deal with the diversity of learning styles of our students only following the books fixed by schools. I don �t earn money when I give my students photocopies. As you can imagine,my final aim is to improve the teachin�-learning process in my classrooms.

25 Feb 2010     

1    2    Next >