Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day (2nd shift)    

Word of the Day (2nd shift)

PhilipR
Thailand

Word of the Day (2nd shift)

After the dust of the skirmishes of yesterday had settled, I was declared winner of this dubious word game. Anyway, here goes.

New word of the day: WINKLEPICKER

Please post your definitions here. Just to remind you, DON�T use a dictionary (or the Internet). The most humourous or creative definition wins. (You can �t imagine how many illiterates there are on this site) 

PREVIOUS WORD OF THE DAY: Bombilation

Definition: It �s what Taliban commanders or other terrorist leaders say when one of their number has successfully blown up something - if they �re around to hear it of course.

Bombilations, dear (name of the culprit), right on target!

After that, they might sing a slightly adapted version of the song:

For he�s a jolly good fellow (3x)
Which nobody can survive!

1st shift answers can be found here.

30 Sep 2010      

manuelanunes3
Portugal

The word can be divided in three parts:

wink (facial expression by closing one eye) + le (French word for "the")+ picker (someone who is picking something).

Conclusion: It �s when you find someone picking fruit and you wink at him/her.

30 Sep 2010     

Fallen Angel
Portugal

It �s a very poor man who collects fruit for a living and whose wife is really a pain in the neck. He often wishes he were Rip Van Winkle (to get rid of his wife), so his friends call him "Winklepicker"!

30 Sep 2010     

stexstme
France

I �ll play the game when people stop making spelling mistakes!
W-inklep-icker ! = Two Rs are missing! ie = Wrinkle ,and  ....Embarrassed
-Er is the owner.
Approve Dea Philip, I�d suggest you have you keyboad epaied, othewise it�s not fai game!

30 Sep 2010     

libertybelle
United States

It �s a person who picks at their wrinkles and has a speech impediment.
(therefore winkle instead of wrinkle)

30 Sep 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Winklepicker

I missed yesterday�s deadline for �Word of the Day�, (midnight, Spanish time), because someone in Khazakstan got me out of bed to ask for an order of Chicken Chow Mein with Fried Rice and Onions.  (My home phone is 1 digit away from that of the local �We Deliver Anywhere, Any Day, Any Time, Takeaway�.)

She apologised for disturbing my sleep, but I assured her that it was unimportant.  After all, it was necessary for me to get up, because the telephone was ringing.

Incidentally, I don�t wish to be offensive to other nationalities, but why does it have to be �midnight, Spanish time�?  After all, it was we, the English, who invented time.

Possibly, you have heard of the phrase, �Greenwich Mean Time�?  Yes?  Greenwich, London, England, is the centre of the horological world, and in Greenwich, when they say: �Time�, they mean �TIME!�

To pass on to the definition of �Winklepicker�, I am surprised that so many Abcedarians, Paronomasians, Phoneticians and other nationalities can be so ignorant of words in the English language.

My own fellow-patriot, Dawn Main, has given a spirited, but sadly, inaccurate definition of the word.  This is because her forte is music!  She once had the honour of meeting the world-famous Italian composer Giuseppe Verdi � but that was when he played drums as plain, old, Joe Green!

Dawn and I both come from the north-east of England, an area rich in linguistic heritage.

The local dialect, Geordie, is replete with Nordic words and expressions.  �Ah�m gaan hyem!� (�I�m going home�) can be understood by any inhabitant of Scandiwegia � Holland, Norway, Sweden, etc.

The area has numerous towns with French names � Hetton-le-hole; Houghton-le-Spring; Chester-le-Street; etc.

(The principal city, Newcast-le, does not fit in to this category!)  Originally, in the Middle Ages, there was a wooden Castle.  The castle was burned down � some say, due to a faulty thermostat!  After obtaining Planning Permission, the castle was rebuilt in stone.  There was a one-month public debate, funded by the European Union, and the city was renamed New Castle, which received a prize for �Original Thinking�.

In order to curry favour with the incoming king, (the French �William the Conqueror�, a Norman, from Normandy), several citizens changed their name to �Norman King�.  It was also suggested that Newcastle be renamed �Nouveau Ch�teau�, (�New Castle� in French - pronounced �Noov-oh!  Shat-oh!�)  However, once the words had been clearly enunciated, one-by-one,  the name was rejected, for obvious reasons!

Now, in modern times, �Geordie-land� continues to welcome visitors from other shores.  A local suburb, Pelaw, houses a large contingent from Poland, because there is a huge chimney on the sky-line, welcoming Polish people: �Pelaw � Polish!�

The locals are too embarrassed to reveal that it is actually an advertisement for boot-polish manufactured in Pelaw.

Incidentally, why can you buy pelaw rice in Newcastle, but you can�t buy newcastle rice in pelaw?

To return to the definition of Win-klep-ick-er.  It�s too easy for words!

Win = (Anglo-Saxon): succeed; klep = (Greek): kleptomania, a desire to steal; ick = (Old German for �ich�): �I�; er = (Urdu): hesitation.

�Winklepicker� = �I am a successful thief!  (At least I think I am!)�

Les Douglas

30 Sep 2010     

stexstme
France

Dear Les,
1/ ( someone has to tell ya! ) : Make it shorter!LOL
2/ As a Norman ( Big smile ), I feel you �ve got a problem with being British! ...Well, anybody would!Approve
3/ Last - but not least : You �re sort-of giving me the idea of visiting ...Nouveau-Chateau ( Newcastle)  some day. Though I �m not quite sure of what I am going to find, after all these years ...Approve
William �s great -grand -daughter.Evil Smile

30 Sep 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Oh dear Les! I went to Redcar near Newcastle 2 years ago and had some trouble coping with geordie! However I found the people there ever so friendly but I never met any Winklepicker as good as you! Je vous tire mon shap ooooh, cher ami!  

30 Sep 2010     

stexstme
France

Marie-th�! Sooooo, You �ve been to Noov-oh! Shat- Oh! ... Lucky you!
( BTW, I learned Polish! LOL)

30 Sep 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Sylvie: noooooh ty  girl!  So pleased to see you again! Did you see the pics of my meeting with Ana Isabel at the caf� ? I am sure you did because I Know What a winklepicker you are! LOL

30 Sep 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Wow, I actually know this one, but I �ll keep schtum...

30 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >