Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day - DEFENESTRATE    

Word of the Day - DEFENESTRATE

moravc
Czech Republic

Word of the Day - DEFENESTRATE

The word of the day is DEFENESTRATE.

Is it a thing? a person? an adjective? an action? an animal?

My second favourite weird word is "onomatopoeia" ... So if you �ll be able to make both definitions, you �ll get extra points. :-D
I hope you don �t know the the word "defenestrate", it �s not used very often but I have heard it several times...

No dictionary, no Wikipedia definitions. Make your OWN definitions please!!!
I am waiting for your witty guesses... Thumbs Up

15 Oct 2010      

stexstme
France

Splash! : The noise I made when reaching the ground... Bl..... broom!!!!!!!!Ouch ( Still alive, I �m afraid ;o)
(edit : The definition is for both ;o)))

15 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

onomatopoeia is a term you have to know if you want to learn Hebrew since it is very common in the modern Hebrew language. The one word which will always make me remember it is bahk-buhk meaning �bottle �. Maybe if you ponder this bit of info you might figure out the meaning of �onomatopoeia � for yourself in case you didn �t know it...then again, it might not help at all...
Defenestrate is also very connected to our reality here;
It refers to the way in which the Ministry of Defense or "security considerations" always tend to castrate great ideas like a spontaneous school trip outside the city (NO, you need  permission and an armed guard) or a simple visit to a friend in Betlehem (No, no entry to Israelis) or, of course, him visiting me (No, no passage for Palestinians) Of course, most of the excitement of flying out of the country is defenestrated by hours of waiting and unpacking and re-packing your luggage because of security checks. Even the most banal and innocent endevours like smuggling some homemade popcorn into the cinema are doomed because of the security guard checking your bag (for weapons and bombs) who will notice you tried to avoid paying the absurd prices for popcorn sold in the lobby...Defenestration is experienced at every turn.. I am not sure but I suppose that after 9-11 also other countries are starting to suffer the effects of defenestration.

please don �t make this into a political discussion, I just wrote the first association to come into my mind....Even though this is very serious, it still is meant to be a funny post if you know what I mean....a bit of laughing at ourselves, always healthy and a bit of free association, the main idea of the game, no?

15 Oct 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Clap killing the good ideas? so we have many "defenestrators" and defenestrations here in Europe too :-D

15 Oct 2010     

meuge
Argentina

We are always trying to "defenestrate" any contributor who cheats .... Evil SmileWink ... I was thinking that the sound a contributor would do when defenestrated would be "aghhh oh aghhhh" ...here you have the onomatopoeia part....LOL

15 Oct 2010     

reeta1
Canada

defenestrator--people who try to defend something during a demonstration. Okay, that sounds cheesy lol

15 Oct 2010     

agagug
Canada

Sorry everyone,

But as a Quebecois (Quebec is a French province of Canada) who knows a bit about French, I have to say that the root of this word is very similar to the word � �fen�tre � � wich in English means � �window � �. Therefore, the use of the prefix � �de � � making it an action verb, defenestrate would probably mean something like: to take out a window where there was one previously.

Now, why would anyone take out a window? I guess the best answers would sound like:

To keep students away from having their heads in the clouds and stay focused on their learning...

To run the chance of finding a window of opportunities...

Now, about opportunities, I heard (and I am pretty sure this one is true) that Montreal buildings were at a certain point in History taxed according to the number of their windows facing the streets... Thus, defenestration became a trend in Montreal for the time the tax lasted.

As for � �onomatopoeia � �: I would really like to take the time to explain it to you, but... Aaaatcha! I caught the flu lately and my dose is rudding plick... plick... plick..., and I ab bretty sure you heard that, which bakes be veel ashame of byself. Anyway, I should nod... Aaaatcha! condabinate the school gombuder geyboard any longer, so I�ll end my bost here.

Dhang you!

15 Oct 2010     

leprofweb
Canada

Hi, about the words of the day:
defenestrate: is when you you throw somebody or something out of the window, preferably from above the fifth floor, just to make sure... It tends to be used a lot in Hollywood films in action scenes with all sorts of spectacular effects (slow motion, shards of glass thrown up in the air and so on)
onomatopoeia: is when somebody imitate with his voice the sounds made by an object or an animal for instance : the screaching of a door opening or closing, the sound of car starting, or somebody mickmiking the sounds made by a foreing language mostly for funny effects...
Hope my definitions will stike a cord
Bye
Claude LaFontaine

15 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

I know this one! It was a friend of mine �s favorite word.

as for "onomatopoeia" --

o- oh
no
ma-mother
to-toe or to
peia - pee (urinate)

Oh no mom �s going to pee. or

Oh no mom, I peed on my toe.

Sorry, it �s a little disg�sting, but it �s Friday lighten-up!

Edit: could also be "to pee on Oma"  (Oma is German for Grandma)

15 Oct 2010     

JudyHalevi
Israel

Defenstrate:  Strate being the old spelling of Straight and Defene is an abbreviation of definitely.  And as most americans swallow their words, the meaning of defenstrate is Definitely Straight.  As in "The line is defenestrate."
Onomatopoeia:  Is the Latin for "it peed on the mat"  As in "The cat onomatopoeia"

Hugs from Israel

Judy

15 Oct 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

very easy!
defenestrate = we have the same word in French, the French word "fen�tre" means window
so here �s my definition
"ding! yeah, i �ve got an email, let �s open it! pop! Oh noooooooo, it was a virus, what have I done... windows crashed... well there �s only one thing left to do... swoosh.... bang! What the hell happened? Where �s our computer? Windows crashed so I threw it out of the window! slap!"

15 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >