Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Like?    

Like?

Zora
Canada

.......*shrugs*....

Sorry Pietro, I need my sleep... maybe goodnesses can take over from here.... since he likes these debates too. LOL

5 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Actually I am already in bed Zora.

Phrasal verb, two words verb, three words verb, multiple word verb according to me it is all the same; it refers to a verb followed by some other words (prepostions, gerunds, infinitive consyrtuction, ...)which modify slightly or compleyely its original meaning.
For me "look" and "look at" are not the same as for "look in" or "look ... up", "look through"; look out" and the list is long.

As I said I am already in bed and I am "looking after" two PCs. Just "waiting for" they finish some downloads to "shut them down";

Good night all

5 Dec 2008     

Pietro
United States

Well, maybe this is not quite evident when English is your native language, but in Russian these are prefixes and suffixes that change the meaning of the word, and prepositions that serve just to connect words in the sentence. Sure, the meaning is different for me between "look at" and, say, "look into", though personally for me the verb doesn�t change it�s meaning, but the preposition shows some direction in which you look.

There are some prepositions that really change the meaning.

"...several verb combinations can function as more than one type, depending on the
context."

And still, it�s not just my personal idea of phrasal verbs.

All in all, a lot of people mostly teach the way they see this world.

5 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Pietro, 

I know most of your adversaries have gone to bed...  Hope you see this.

I think you actually proved Zora�s point.  If you take look and like as two different words you can not find the meaning that we get when we put them together, hence the term �looks like� is a phrasal verb.  I would really like to see your definitions for the two words separately that makes them ermmm �not a phrasal verb�.

I will check back tomorrow to see if you have replied.  My bed is calling.
Good discussion though, What!

5 Dec 2008     

memthefirst
Turkey

it means "as if"

8 Dec 2008     

Pietro
United States

Vickiii

Hello! Maybe it is reasonable to say that there is something in common between Zora�s and my visions of the problem, but I still can�t see how could I have proved her idea of the whole thing when I was trying to prove mine =)

Well, you see, �look� is used in the function of a copula here, and in this case it can�t be a prasal verb by all means. And the preposition �like� which follows the word is used in the meanin �as if�, which memthefirst has already said.

9 Dec 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3    4