Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Speaking of vowels... I...A...O...U...     

Speaking of vowels... I...A...O...U...

meuge
Argentina

Speaking of vowels... I...A...O...U...

So as to go on with  the letter issue..... Have you ever read the story that is written using no letter "E " at all?
It is called "Gadsby" by Ernest Vincent Wright, an American writer... (follow the link in the name)

As he himself wrote ..."THE ENTIRE MANUSCRIPT of this story was written with the E type-bar of the typewriter tied down; thus making it impossible for that letter to be printed. This was done so that none of that vowel might slip in, accidentally; and many did try to do so!"

A lipogram is a text that purposefully excludes a particular letter of the alphabet, in this case the letter is the "E".

Have a look at it and have fun!

M. -ug-nia LOL

10 Dec 2008      

wolfy
Chile

wow that story is amazing. �I didn�t know you could do that. omitting �"E" from a post, but a story wow.

10 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

that is very cool thank you meuge!

I think i could manage it without a K...lol

10 Dec 2008     

meuge
Argentina

Yes!!! So could I!!!! In fact all argentinian members could do that! LOLLOL

10 Dec 2008     

ichacantero
Honduras

Thanks soooo much for this website and story... It�s indeed very, very interesting, and I�m sure my sts will love it as well Wink

10 Dec 2008     

NeonRain
South Africa

Amazing story! I�ve just had a quick look at it and then did some more research into lipograms. Another author wrote a similar story. It�s called, "The Wonderful O" by James Thurber. Apparently it�s a story about a pirate who hates the letter "O" and when he takes over an island, he bans the use of the letter "O". It seems like a really cute story, it�s geared for children and young adults. I�ve tried to do a search for it, but it seems to be out of print and no ebooks to be found. Has anyone else ever heard of this story?

10 Dec 2008     

jujuka
Hungary

Hi meuge,
Thanks for this interesting find. I have added it to my bookmarks, which is so long now that it takes a lot of time to read Smile.
Just an interesting fact about my mother tongue, Hungarian: it is possible to speak and write using the vowel/letter E only for hours  (if you are talented enough) Big smile

10 Dec 2008     

mildredpierce
France

Hence the opportunity to make a tribute to Michel BUTOR, the French writer who wrote a novel without a single "e". It�s called "The disparition" and I�ve always wandered if it could possibly have been translated!!!??? Have a good day everyone!

10 Dec 2008     

firstime
France

Sorry Mildredpierce, don�t you think it�s Georges Perec?

10 Dec 2008     

mildredpierce
France

Oh my!!!!! I feel so ashamed! Of course it�s Perec! Pardon my French.... :) It�s too early and I should not write messages yet... Shame on me!

10 Dec 2008     

spring
Turkey

Wow,
This is amazing.
I had a quick look of Gadsby and found it wond-rful.
I am trying to avoid " e"  in this thread too:)))))
But it seems impossible..
Oppsss..Lots of "e"�s
I am gonna be crazyyyyyyyyyy:)))))
But it is so enjoyable..
How did he managed to write Gadsby.
I have failed at first tryEmbarrassed

10 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >