Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Do we really believe we created something new    

Do we really believe we created something new

roneydirt
United States

Do we really believe we created something new

Now this is from some discussions I have had.  Do we really think we are creating something totally new?  Now we are actually taking old items and thoughts and adding some new twist as new thoughts and technology advances but the basics are old material.   Now not saying don �t try to make new stuff because we can always find new twists on selling old ideas.  I just found it horrible for an individual to post items on here that is un-editable because they fear someone would steal their idea.  They are too focus on self gratification than what most of us are on here for.... reaching "our" students even if they are in someone else �s class.

20 Feb 2011      

foose1
United States

Yes, we are creating new stuff.  I see it everyday on this site.  Some people will eventually learn to be more creative as it takes time to learn the tricks in microsoft word and powerpoint.  Innovation is the new buzz word in the the bigger companies.  Using old stuff to create newer stuff.  I have seen with my own eyes some very creative and innovative work on this site.  I found that if I download some of the newer work with 3 or less points, I find some good ideas and more than likely will use the slide even if I have to beef it up a bit.

20 Feb 2011     

lshorton99
China

Hi

I don �t believe that all uneditable worksheets are born of a selfish desire for self-gratification. Some people work in formats (pdf for example) that, without the right technology isn �t editable - that �s just the way it is. They should be free to share their worksheets with us by cutting and pasting into word without being criticised for it - I �m grateful for their contributions.

Other people do feel the need to protect their copyright - given the number of contributions reported daily for copyright violations and the number that slip through the net, I also feel that this is not unreasonable. Obviously, it �s frustrating when a worksheet isn �t editable and contains errors or isn �t quite suitable for your class but it is up to the individual to choose what they do or do not download. Technically, by editing any worksheet we download we are breaching the author �s copyright as we are not supposed to change them in any way but I think people here upload their work on the understanding that individuals will change worksheets.

I �m sure everyone is aware of the theory that there are only 7 stories in the world - every story is a variation on one of seven themes but that doesn �t stop us enjoying those variations. I feel the same about the work people are so kind to share here.

Now I personally prefer worksheets I can edit and tailor to fit my classes but that doesn �t stop me appreciating other worksheets or finding some which I can �t edit but are still suitable for my needs.

I �m aware that everyone has their pet peeves but to be honest, this is far from being one of mine. YMMV of course!

Lindsey

20 Feb 2011     

roneydirt
United States

foose1 do you really think there is originals on here?  First you say so and then re-enforce what I say that we are just taking old materials and adding new twists to them.

Ishorton99: yes there are some that put their stuff into programs that make it difficult to reuse in other programs.  I had made this comment on some comments I had received that they on purpose make their items uneditable because they fear people would steal their ideas.  The othe issues is when we go to download the items it doesn �t say that it is editable or uneditable.  Now there are some that will add that and they are under or around 1% of the items uploaded.  If I could tell an item is uneditable I would not download it unless I knew for certain I could use it as is.

For those that purposely upload items un-editable especially two individuals that mailed me.  Why upload if you fear people stealing your ideas?

20 Feb 2011     

lshorton99
China

Hi Roney

Not so long ago there was an issue here when someone had taken worksheets from this site and published them in a book. More recently there was a facebook group that was distributing eslprintables worksheets - still sharing them with people but without their permission. I for one am happy to share my work on this site (and a couple of others). I certainly don �t want people taking my work and attempting to profit from it. I don �t have the technology to make my work uneditable (and I probably wouldn �t anyway because a lot of it was specifically geared towards certain textbooks so useless unless edited) but I don �t see that it should be that big a deal if other people choose to protect their copyright more strictly. I do, however, agree that it might be nice to include the fact that it can �t be edited in the description but I wouldn �t oblige anyone to do so.

A lot of those whose work isn �t editable have plenty of points and don �t share for any reason than they hope someone can use their work somewhere in the world. They aren �t breaking any of the rules of this site and they continue to contribute even after receiving criticism rather than thanks. a lot of hard work goes into what everyone does on this site and I �d rather just be grateful for it than find more reasons to complain - can �t we just stick to complaining about those who break the rules of the site by uploading stolen work, non-esl resources, work containing languages other than English, purely images, watermarked clipart, repeated work, etc? For me, that �s more than enough to be going on with!

Lindsey

20 Feb 2011     

blunderbuster
Germany

Yes, love myself and I never hesitate to yell it out from the top of my lungs.  Because I love myself and my work so much, I make all my things uneditable now. I feel others owe me close to their first-borns, simply for the fact that I lower myself and share my creative genius with them ;o)

Okay, I am kidding? Well, not only.

I don �t want any fights like others had them before, call it arrogance, call it foresight, If I am forced to make my things editable, I won �t share anymore. SINCE most of my things that I share are not editable, I really do my best to make sure there are no errors.

People steal graphics all the time, there is no day without stolen graphics not given credit for. Not speaking about ideas and designs here, I am really too disappointed today.

Regards

20 Feb 2011     

donapeter
Romania

I used to make wss and upload here. There were times when I made my wss un-editable, the limit was 300 k and I used to use many pictures, so.....the wss were too heavy for this site to bear. The only solution was to make them .jpg and place the .jpg in a word document. But I mentioned that I can send the editable version via e-mail. I even sent it when people claimed for it. But, maybe other people forget to mention they can send the editable version. Or they don �t even think about this aspect. 
Originality......hmmm...this is an issue here. How original can we be? Can we re-invent the grammar? Even the speaking topics are limited. 
But I can see so many original works here, I can see how people try to develop their skills to design great wss (only to share them- this is something...our appreciation is the only thing they want), i can see people trying to re-invent designs and topics. Good job people!!!!

If we take a look at the first contributors (the ones with the most points/downloads) we can see they do not protect their work at all. The best wss I �ve downloaded are editable. 
I �ve noticed medium-valued wss are overprotected. But...still....that is their choice!!! 

OMG...this post was written before/in the same time with Blunderbuster�s. So..PLEASE do not interpret!!!! 
I don�t download anymore, so I didn�t know she makes her wss un-editable! 
But I still want to keep this post as I was pointing something else here. 

20 Feb 2011     

blunderbuster
Germany

Dona, simply not true (anymore), at least as of last week.

In addition, over 400 dl is not mediorcre ;o)

20 Feb 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Speaking about being original... well, I have some doubts; we all do things from some kind of scratch.
But, even from scratch, we can be creative, or not - and creative people is something we have plenty around here, in this site.

The other point, editable or not editable: as my dear Dona has pointed out, her words could be mine - I rarely download things here and even more rarely do I upload here.
My first contributions were all editable ( very poor ). Later I bought some packs of clipart, from lisacountryclipart and thistlegraphics. I do have to respect the way I can redistribute this cliapart.

I am not allowed to upload printables in such a way that everyone can copy/hpaste the clips.
I don �t intend to make printables to upload here - I make the printables I need, to my students. When I finish them, if they are under 500k, ok, I can put them here, if they aren �t, and most of the time they are over , I simply don �t have the time to go on working on them to try to make them lighter. There was a time when I used to upload them in a .jpeg, but then, so many people started complaining about that, that I simply stopped.

Anyway, I try to pay a visit, more or less daily - I love reading the forum, there are always many ideas, many new links provided and many people asking for help.

I take note of the first ones and I do pm or answer in the forum when I think I have something useful.

More than this ?  Well, I have said and written in some of my contributions - I can send the original word.doc. I have even rebuilt printables for some people who didn �t have a slight idea how the printable could be changed. They just pmed what they needed and I did the work - no problem.

I think, each one shares what each ones has - either you like or not, well, that �s the same thing in shop - you don �t complain about what the shop doesn �t have; you buy or not, what the shop provides.

my opinion

Have a nice Sunday
Linda

20 Feb 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I used to have my own assumptions regarding non-editable wss... not anymore. It �s funny sometimes though, because as Dona mentioned, more often than not, non-editable wss I find here are, well... I find more editable wss that don �t need to be edited.

It �s like many have said before... it �s sharing... so get over it.

As to reinventing the wheel... it �s funny too. I �m not that old, but in the 11 years I �ve been teaching English, some of the most interesting things I �ve found, came from here. Many others are textbook practice... the more the better. It �s funny because every time someone comes to the forum to talk about original this, original that... their work is, well...

20 Feb 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Maybe we are not original but at least we are trying! If anyone who comes and shouts loud on this forum started to try and produce some material whether it be original or not so original, maybe they would not find so much to say about other people �s work!!Angry

Would it not be a good idea to allow only these members over a certain number of points to open it up on this forum?Wink

20 Feb 2011     

1    2    Next >