Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Latest news from Japan    

Latest news from Japan

alien boy
Japan

Latest news from Japan

Things are very bad with Reactor No 2 today. They haven �t been able to pump water into the reactor because of a valve that was accidentally  closed. The pressure build up has sealed it, so no water can get in... and no gas can be released to relieve the pressure. The container itself may explode as distinct from the external buildings (this is what happened with 1 & 3 reactors).

Current news broadcast if you want to view it

Regards,
AB

15 Mar 2011      

manonski (f)
Canada

Thank you for keeping us updated.
Hope you are doing well.

15 Mar 2011     

alien boy
Japan

Another explosion at No 1...

& wind is apparently blowing south - which is where Tokyo is...

radiation reading is 8 times the normal annual exposure.

15 Mar 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi AB

Yes, you are right; things seem to be turning really bad. News here report that the radioactivity levels are already high/ very high, they have raised enormously today; the explosions, probably, are not only hidrogen; besides, it has been said that the nuclear plants have their own wastes stored inside - an American military ship which was in the Sea of Japan has already moved because of the high levels of radioactivity.
People are starting thinking that this may be worse than Chernobyl. It has been said it was a 4 level, but people start speaking of 6 level

If you are near and can leave, please, do.

In these situations it �s hard to believe in governments - try to listen to news others than the Japanese ones, try to think by yourself - you can be in danger

Wishing you all, my dear friends, all, all the best.

Linda

15 Mar 2011     

alien boy
Japan

I �m a couple of hundred km away.

Chernobyl was level 7, so I �m hoping it doesn �t get that bad.

I �m watching the live news bulletins which are very good.

Radiation is still at low level contamination. The contamination suffered by US sailors can safely be removed by soap & water, so it �s not quite so bad, yet...

15 Mar 2011     

giovannademartin
Brazil

Well, I really don �t know... take care of yourself, dear AB!!!! 

15 Mar 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

AB, please take care! and thanks for the updates! Hug

15 Mar 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Sent you a pm, AB.

Take care, I �m speaking very seriously.

15 Mar 2011     

Zora
Canada

I hope you all find yourselves (David, Julia, Bryce (AB), Errie ... ) and your loved ones safe and sound. My prayers go out to you all and to everyone in Japan. I am not religious at all... but right now, I feel the need to send some positive (and hope-filled) energy your way.

Take care of yourselves, pls...
Linda

15 Mar 2011     

alien boy
Japan

& if you don �t want to watch streamed news this site will give you some reports to read along with breaking information:

thanks for thoughts, prayers & support. Even Lady Gaga & Katy Perry are raising funds for relief... WOW!

There are now 13 international relief teams here.

Nice to see everyone chipping in. Japan is a major contributor financially to UN programs... it �s sad that we �ll need to make use of them here...

Cheers,
AB

people within 30 km of the reactors have been advised to head inside immediately & clean all jackets etc that have been worn. Do not go outside unless you absolutely must, keep all windows shut & close all external ventilation.

Radiation levels at the plants are now at a level that could effect human health.

More news as it happens...

15 Mar 2011     

juliag
Japan

Thank you AB for your updates.

Very disconcerting news. Now that has to be the understatement of the year.

Will keep an eye out for your updates here as you seem so much more well informed than I am.

Thank you all for your concern.
I thought I was fine here but not so sure now. At least for the time being the radiation hasn �t reached this area.

Errie, I know you are a lot closer.
If you can please update us on how you are doing.

And Kohaku where are you and how are you?

David can your sons come home to you and your wife for a while?

Do take care all precious friends.
Love
Julia

15 Mar 2011     

1    2    Next >