Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE...    

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE...

christybridgeman
Japan

Haha! Yeah, I got angry about 5 weeks ago!  I went out of my way to get permission to use the FORMAT of someone else �s worksheet!  Even had the e-mail saved to prove that I did it with permission.

My worksheet was COMPLETELY different exept that it used the format and it was for a different grammar point.

Someone felt the need to report me though and the managers on this site were like oh well, even if you got permission, you shouldn �t do it.

I thought to myself, well that is just ignornat because this worksheet really would have helped people with a completely different grammar point.  And, I too was thinking that as a community we could share ideas and build upon old ideas and make them better.

But logic goes out the window sometimes.

1 Apr 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Just a few wise words to consider about the problems we have regarding "copying" and "stealing". The words are not mine, of course, they are Oscar Wilde �s:

"It is only the unimaginative who ever invents. The true artist is known by the use he makes of what he anexes, and he anexes everything".

1 Apr 2011     

christybridgeman
Japan

Teachers are supposed to be collaborators.  At least, in my country and culture, teachers are considered to be a part of a team and are suppose to share ideas and make ideas better.

No one person comes up with something great.  Someone has a great idea, then other people see the great idea and make it better, and before long you have something brilliant.

Now for people who like to steal and take all the credit, now that is unconceivable and not beneficial.

In fact, I learned long ago in my science classes in college, that people purposely hold back technology and patent it to ensure that other scientists cannot take their ideas and improve upon it, thus hindering science advancements until the patent runs out (which in science patents do run out and the technology becomes free game).  Seems pretty egotistical and lame to me.

If a person doesn �t want their idea improved upon, that is their choice.

But, in my case I had permission and only used a format that I had permission for. 

1 Apr 2011     

Stellam
Argentina

Hi maroemma
I just don �t understand your point. Are you suggesting that there might be a teeny-weeny chance that perhaps somebody from the South Hemisphere might have found inspiration in your work ??? Why don �t you just talk turkey, dear.

1 Apr 2011     

Errie
Japan

Hi Maroemma,

Thnx for your wss and keep up the good work.
Don �t bother the negative comments you get like,,,you �re a newby etc. Everyone was a newby once and everyone has a right to say something, newby or not.

Happy teaching
errie

1 Apr 2011     

maroemma
Greece

Thank you Errie! Happy teaching , too !

1 Apr 2011     

maroemma
Greece

What happened to Ischala26 was very unfortunate because let �s admit it guys. We find our images on the net, where  else? So, was it really right to report him? I think NO!!! This is my point and I think that now I �m talking turkey.

1 Apr 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

@ischala26

Sorry, but there had to be something more to it, otherwise your ws wouldn�t be removed. But if you (or whoever else) think you have been treated unfairly, you can send a PM to Victor and ask him to have a look at it.

@maroemma
Sorry, but I didn�t get the point of your thread. The reporting system is necessary because of copyrights and if someone copies and uploads here a ws from others Esl sites, he/she breaks also the rules of other sites, not only of this one. I am not saying mistakes don�t happen, but as one of the moderators I can assure you it�s very rare. And for your information - not only moderators report wss, but every premium member can do that. I don�t understand why some people here blame only moderators for reporting.

Have a nice day everybody, Michaela

1 Apr 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Copies are against international laws and people who infringe the law are to be punished. I see no cruelty in punishing guilty people, whereas I find it immoral to let people get away with presenting other person �s hard work as theirs.

Cheating is one of the worst things students can do during their academic lives and in some contries it �s punished as any other crime.

If we punish our students when they copy other student �s homework or assignment, shouldn �t we give the example presenting only our original work? Shouldn �t we respect copyrighted laws and punish the people who infringe them?

We don �t report the cheaters out of pleasure; we report them because we respect the hard work of the ones who share their work with us. Would it be ethical if we just ignored the rights of people who work for us and protected the "poor" cheaters?

And - please - don �t tell us the copies we remove are a mere "coincidence", it �b be hypocrisy.

IMHO you missed a good opportunity to keep silent.

1 Apr 2011     

maroemma
Greece

Dear Michaela,
Thank you very much for your response since you are one of the moderators. I was just trying to be  funny...and some people thought I was accusing them. It wasn �t anything personal.
But believe me, I found a song here that I taught my students two weeks ago. I �m sure it was a coincidence (this person couldn �t possibly have known that I also used the same song. Moreover, there are some songs that are very popular, the activities vary).
Maybe I shouldn �t have used dots at the end of my title, but exclamation marks. I DO believe that we are great minds, I �m impressed by the work of some people in here. And since this site is about sharing, I just wanted to share my amazement . I even expressed my admiration to that person for the paper and if you take a look at my papers I also expressed my acknowledgement to another person for the template.
If I still haven �t clarified things, then I will have to apologise to everyone for offending them.
Thank you,
Maria

1 Apr 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3