Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Problem 2: Should    

Problem 2: Should

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi Zora.
Really, I can�t catch the point in your last post.
As I said in another topic some days ago, I have heard something such as "If I is you, I does the work quick." This is a sentence from a very British person.
I am sure that even if you see this sentence for the first time you can understand its meaning immediately. But you agree with me this kind of language is far away from what we teachers of language call spoken or written English.
I still believe that spoken or written when I say "If I were you" it does not  mean maybe I am you maybe I am not or maybe someday i could be you. When I say �If I did it" it means I didn�t do it. When I say "If I came from Australia" it means I don�t come/am not from Australia. When I say "If I graduated from university" it means that I am not a university graduate although we can understand that I am graduate from other school but still I am not a university graduate.
so,
1 - If we refer to the fact of not possessing the uni. certif, we should use type 2 (If + Past simple + "would/should/could/might" or <"will/may/can"=mixed cond.>). --> Unreal situation and its possible present or future effects.

2 - If we refer the action of not having passed some exam to get a uni. certif., we should use Type 3 (If + Past Perf. + "would/should/could" + have + PP). --> Unreal situation in the past and its possible effects at that moment. Because possessing or not the certif. now means I postulated for it before now.

PS: If you want to hear more amazing "spoken" English just look for Ali G�s clips in YouTube especially the speech he made in from of the Harvard uni. student and staff.

26 Sep 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

"IF I is you" - ugh - definitely shocking english. 
"If I were you" infers that you are giving advice, imagining you were in the other persons shoes.
"If I did it" - needs context but would usually refer to a future act you are considering doing.
"If I came from Australia" - I agree it means - I do not come from australia (thankfullyLOL).
"If I graduated from University" - can mean I am not a university graduate, can also mean I am considering my future options - one of which is University study - needs context
"If he graduated from Oxford" - infers that the person did graduate from Oxford and is a way of emphasising this fact or can mean he didn�t graduate from oxford - but he did graduate from a university.
If he graduated from Oxford he should get a fantastic job. (Type 2)
Can you give the oxford example with type 3 for me please?

26 Sep 2008     

Zora
Canada

Oops, sorry Vickii .. my post slipped in after yours :-) And thank you for the explanations... you probably explained it better than me and honestly.. I think that I am just getting frustrated -  lol

Btw the way... if I were you .. means "If I were in your position" nothing more, nothing less... It�s a phrase that denotes a polite way of expressing what you would do if it was left up to you.

Also, I�m afraid that it�s getting a bit hard for me to get across my point because you are sticking strickly to what you have learned grammatically. Also, just so you know, I do teach grammar and I see what you are trying to get across but in this case .. this example I used (which may have not been the best one to use for this) and in the context that I used it in, is quite correct. What I think is happening is just that it is not what you are used to seeing... possibly, because it�s form is that of a conditional yet it�s meaning is not following the set rules.

26 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Sorry, it�s late I know, but my keyboard is turning me crazy and I made "little" mistake that I�ve just corrected. It is clear if you don�t mind having a look again.
Please forgive me.

27 Sep 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3