Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > free template debate    

free template debate

PhilipR
Thailand

I think all the new worksheets with Thistlegirls designs should be reported (let the old ones be grandfathered in), not for violation of copyright but for simply for bad taste Pig. ROTFLMAO

@Liz: If you�re that good at (re)creating clipart, why don�t you draw your own set (which you can then share for free here) Thumbs Up

25 Jun 2011     

seansarto
United States

I �m pretty sure, DaVinci was under contract to the French government when he painted the Mona Lisa....He held an office there, so technically it probably is a French asset and their property...It was paid for, so it is safe to say it is owned by whoever bought it.
 Last year, I did a whole class, worksheets and powerpoint on the "Copyright Wars" here in China...When I get the chance, I will upload the worksheets....The Powerpoint is too large though....Also a strange coincidence, was just this morning, I informed the Teva manufacturers that the Carrefore chain stores here in Nantong, China are carrying bins full of "Teva" knock-offs called "Tuva" �s....That is a loss of potential revenue...And since it is French owned but Chinese run, who knows what kind of tricks the management here is pulling...I am a Teva customer....Then I read this post. Zeitgeist.

25 Jun 2011     

nofre
Germany

Dear lizsantiago!
I fully agree with you. We are teachers and - at least in my opinion - we have one of the most important professions in our societies. What is more, time is always short and our authorities are delegating more and more tasks to schools and teachers.
Therefore, this site is a great help to all of us and saves us a lot of time. As long as we use them for our lessons, it must be allowed when you recreate something. I mostly use the ws after having adapted them, because then they perfectly suit my students. In a nutshell, treating teachers like this is a nuisance.
(In regard to your special case, I agree with PhilipR.  These Thistlegirls designs are too mediocre for your inspiration. If I had the knowledge to create my own cliparts, I would get better ones for inspiration and recreation. Iwould really like to do that and share them with you.)

Hugs
Nofre

25 Jun 2011     

sweeves
Japan

Your w/sheets are great Liz and what you do is of great value to others. Anybody who wants to be picky can go stick their head back down the hole it came out of.
You aren`t copying, you are improving an existing idea.

25 Jun 2011     

mena22
Portugal

As I �ve said in the previous post -  http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=28235 - I �m not sure  we can copy copyrighted graphics, even if we draw them ourselves, and call it ours. Although I find the graphics you draw wonderful, they are exactly the same as those from thistlegirldesigns. I really do no think we can or should do that. After all, aren �t we removing worksheets from the site with copied layouts because most members who took part in the discussion in the forum agreed that it was not right to do so? I don �t know anything about laws. I �ll leave that for those who have the knowledge. For me it �s just a question of principle. Being such a talented person, I �m sure you can come up with a set of wonderful graphics created by you.
Have a nice day,
mena

25 Jun 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Liz
1 - Let me tell you I really admire your work and thank for your generousity
2 - You started this thread about Ashley �s graphics, your copies and a printable being reported - it �s only about this I �m writing my comment
3- Aslhey �s graphics have a copyright - it �s clearly stated in her web
4 - You can copy the graphics, put a frame and hang them on your walls
5 - You can �t use your copies in your printables, here or in any other web.
6 - You can �t offer your graphics, because, at the same time, you are offering something that is not yours
7 - you should write to Ashley and clarify this with her, I have recently emailed her and got permission to publish one story, written by my students, with her graphics - I must say she was very kind.
8 - I would love to use graphics made by you, it seems you have a great potential, it would be great

Mu humble opinion, obviously

Have a nice day, you all

Linda

EDIT:

Hi Liz

Liz, believe me, I�m just trying to clarify things, not pointing fingers, this problem of copyright is a very sensible one; this thread made me have a look at your web page and I noticed one thing you have written there; may be you want to read it and try to compare your position, which I absolutely agree with, withe Ashley�s.
Here:

" In NO WAY YOU ARE ALLOWED TO REPRODUCED THEM FOR PROFIT OR UPLOAD THEM IN OTHER SITES ON THE WEB"
My opinion, these are similar situations, with a big difference;Thistle is a commercial web.
Please, don�t misunderstand me, just trying to help finding a correct solution.

Have a nice day
Linda

25 Jun 2011     

Sonn
Russian Federation

I wonder will anyone ever be punished for having a copyrighted image as an avatar? I �m almost sure, will!

25 Jun 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Liz: We have a saying- I wanted to do what �s best but it turned out as usual :) I just hope you get the humour....
Sophia

25 Jun 2011     

silvia.patti
Italy

I agree with Mena: if someone can wonderfully draw, he can create a new set of pictures.
This is my opinion.

Silvia

25 Jun 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

guys, you are not getting my point.... i am not claiming owning the cliparts, this was about giving a little something to does who can not buy the originals and a try to stop the fights and accusations of stolen cliparts.  @olinda  i am not using ashley �s clips.. i made new ones taking hers as a model, @mena  we are not removing copying layouts.. we are removing layouts where the member simply erase the information and copy his/hers... that is why we check the properties, since we can claim as ours the use of textboxes, colors, wordart, or any other tool from office.  and as i said, i make my own cliparts but that was not the point.   
 you know what?  what i still dont get is what is all the fuzz about this cliparts since at least i took the time to make them by hand when i dont even use them for my ws and we have thousands of ws here with just a copy/paste  from the images that are also copyrighted and no one is defending them. are we going to remove and report those as well? 

25 Jun 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >