Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD     

WOD

edrodmedina
United States

WOD

Thank you Bruce for choosing me as the winner of the WOD. I think more of our colleagues would have participated had they known about the 72" flat screen TV. Anyway... The new WOD is STEATOPYGIC.  Remember, no dictionary definitions. Be as creative with your daffynition as possible... nothing is too absurd.  Andmost of all HAVE FUN!!!!

13 Jul 2011      

Mariethe House
France

Dear Ed,
You will forgive me , I am sure, for saying on this forum that I am quite
with Word of the day!

when it first started I loved it because it was new and original and allowed us to stretch our brains but:  is it a sign of ageism  ? I don �t find it so stimulating!
 I must admit I still laugh a lot at your daffynitions and Les �s and some other natives � or near natives �  and comments or totally absurd remarks and this is why I would suggest , so that noone will think I am totally negative... I would suggest we have a daily (or every other daySmile)chronicle started by you , for us , non natives to read and learn and react if anyone wishes to!
I know you won �t take it personally or if you do I have under estimated your sense of humourWink
So I just wonder what everyone else thinks ! Please don �t shoot the pianist!Big smile

13 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Hi Mariethe. I �m sure you �re not alone. The game has been on the decline. For a while there was none then it was revived and now it seems to be on its last legs once again. I still enjoy it but less and less people are participating, therefore I declare you the winner of today �s WOD. Only kidding. Let �s see how it goes and maybe we �ll put it out of its misery.

13 Jul 2011     

suhakhader
Jordan

Hello Ed,

I �ll be the first one to say my own funny definition..

Here is my DafYniTion:)haha!
S is for me: Suha
T-E-A- is for my tea which is
G : green
T-O-P: TOP
I-C: Iced

All that comes in ..." Suha �s top iced- green tea!!" Wink

Have a nice day!

13 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Here �s my vote to keep WOD alive! I think the "problem" could be:
1) the time differences. sometimes some may be wide awake and starting a new day, and others may be sound asleep!
2) Work. Many times there �s a specific time, when our work load doubles or triples!
3) Sometimes we choose a word that is not interesting enough for others. We are all different, have different tastes, humor, moods, etc.

Personally, I �d rather see WOD and its few participations (I learn alot even from those!) than all the fighting we sometimes see here! I like these games (WOD & CAPTION) because it brings out all the imagination each of us have. I also bring these games to my classroom once in a while, and you �d be surprised at some of the students � responses!

Well, having said that... here �s my shot at WOD:

STEATOPYGIC

The "strategy" of developing an effective way to bring the first rock to the top of the hill to build tables where you can eat and have a splendid panoramic view!

14 Jul 2011     

Mariethe House
France

I see your point of view Mar, although there �s still fighting and bickering in spite of WOD

I loved this :
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=29221

and was thinking of something like that , which got many answers and was so funny!

We all know what ED is capable of and we could count on his   creative mind to start a topic from which we could all benefit , learn and to which we could react .
I once strongly defended wod but the fact that there are fewer answers now shows that people are loosing interest and maybe it is time for a change! Only suggesting!Smile

14 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Dearest Marieth� Hug  all suggestions, opinions, etc. are WELCOME! And I also understand your point of view! Believe me! It �s just that one day a WOD will get 2 responses, maybe even one, maybe none! and the next day, it can get 30! I �ve seen it!

But I �ll second whatever the majority decides on! So, I �ll be open and welcoming whatever comes next! ;)

14 Jul 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

I have to say I think both the time difference and the workload sometimes can be blamed for the decline of the WOD, but I like it soooo much!
I mean, if nothing else, you get to learn new things every day! However, a new kind of game would be welcome as well!

Anyway, this is my daffynition for today:

STEATOPYGIC is an adjective describing a person who eats in a messy way. It �s short for the phrase "STop EATing like a PYG(pig)"Tongue with the suffix -ic to make it an adjective.

e.g. My little brother was so steatopygic during the Sunday BBQ that my mother had to tell him off!

14 Jul 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

By the way, Marieth�, I had actually missed this talk on the forum, thanks for bringing it up again...so funny! Ed, you rock!

14 Jul 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Wow - as soon as I saw this word I thought to myself "I actually know what this word means".  Before WOD I would not have had a clue - so thank you Frank for introducing this game 11 months ago because I know it has increased my vocabulary as well as provided a lot of entertainment along the way.

This word was Frank�s second entry for WOD and the entries were hilarious, just as they are today.

Cheers

Jayho

14 Jul 2011     

thedropper
Japan

Steatopygic = having the ability to eat pies, especially apple, with great speed and agility.

The steatopygic man won the pie eating contest with ease!

14 Jul 2011     

1    2    Next >