Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Can someone help, please?    

Can someone help, please?

Mar0919
Mexico

Can someone help, please?

Hi, everybody. I �m going to be teaching clothes vocabulary next week. Since I have the advanced group, I want to take it a little further than just the basic clothing vocab. But... I �ve been searching all morning, and have not come up with a reasonable way to explain the difference between sweater, cardigan, and pullover. If I use the internet and google, the same image comes up for the 3. IS there a difference? I understand the 3 are types of sweaters, but how to explain this to ss in a clear way????

Thanks in advance!

17 Sep 2011      

perma
Greece

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardigan_(sweater)

for some in depth look into the sweater family LOL

17 Sep 2011     

manusyasya
Ukraine

I found this explanation:

A Pullover doesn �t have buttons and can be worn with a collared shirt underneath.

A Sweater is usually worn alone and is also a pullover (no buttons)

A Cardigan is a V neck sweater with buttons that you wear with a nice shirt matching underneath.

And this:

A pullover is a type of sweater. It �s the type of sweater that you pull over your head, ergo the name. But there are other types of sweaters, such as button-down sweaters, which include cardigan sweaters, and sweater vests. Sweater vests are another type of pullover.

I do hope it will be helpful for you.

17 Sep 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you, Perma and Manusyasya for your quick response!!! Mmmm....... I..... think I �ll not make my life miserable and just stick to plain old sweater LOL!!!!  I �ll just say sweaters can also be known by different names: cardigans or pullovers, being the pullovers "usually" with no buttons and must be PULLED over the head. Wink
Thanks again!!!

17 Sep 2011     

Zora
Canada

Here �s a canadian perspective of a teacher who used to also work retail when she was younger...

A cardigan tends to have a large V neck and usually a button or two but a "sweater" doesn �t. 
A sweater is basically the same thing as a pullover - one is just American usage and the other British.

Smile

17 Sep 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you Zora!!!!!! What a clear and easy explanation! Hug 

Lots of Hugs!!!

17 Sep 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

pullover, jumper, sweater are all synonymous:)
They can be polo neck sweater/jumper (turtleneck AmE), v-neck sweater/jumper or crew neck sweater/jumper, which all can be pulled over:)
Cardigan is more of a soft jacket to me.
Well, I guess you got your answers already anyway.
Have a nice rest of the weekend, Mar:)
Sophia
P. S. You could always bring a fashion magazine for your advanced students to try and describe the photos of models and see if they are short of vocabulary and then offer them to do some research on their own to sort of fill in those blanks. Then, there�s always an option of creating a very detailed description of some "garment", and here you could use the description of the Royal Wedding Dress as an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wo4XP1YKHI. I�m sure they would come up with some interesting ideas of "garments"  to describe (judging by the general tendency among young people to enjoy fantasy novels, I would guess they�d choose some of the characters). Without a doubt this will take them to a different level of discussing the at the first glance stale topic. Just thought of giving you a few ideas if you haven�t thought of them already:) (I know you didn�t ask for them, I couldn�t resist... I guess bc I haven�t talked to you for quite a while:)

17 Sep 2011     

BlancaNC
United States

In the U.S., no one uses the word jumper for sweater.  This must be a European term.  I call just about any top that is warm and fuzzy a sweater.  Pullovers are typically very warm.  I mean, I don �t have any light weight pullovers.  They are what I would wear skiing.  I also have a lot of turtlenecks or various weights; the lighter ones I wear by themselves or with a shirt, jacket or a pullover on top, and the heavier ones I would wear over a shirt so I can take them off later in the day or while I am indoors.  I never call my turtlenecks pullovers.  My pullovers all have rounded or V necks.  Cardigans tend to be part of a school uniform, or else they imply a school uniform.  I do not consider cardigans to be a popular style.  That may be different for men, if they want something business casual, but I am not sure I see it.  I would not wear one.  But if it �s a cashmere cardigan, I will definitely make an exception!  That leaves three terms for the U.S.: sweater, pullover, and turtleneck (or "turtleneck sweater").      

17 Sep 2011     

libertybelle
United States

The thing about a sweater is -  that it is knitted. (not woven)
A pullover - you pull over your head.
A cardigan has buttons and isn �t necessarily a v-neck
A V-neck sweater does have a V neck.
A turtleneck has a high collar that covers the neck and can also be folded down.
A jumper is a British term for sweater.

18 Sep 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Well, to all our American friends: http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/pullover

18 Sep 2011     

Zora
Canada

If everybody might forgive me for using Spanish here since it may help somewhat...

Cardigan - in Spain it is called a "rebeca" (little girls tend to use it here BUT the style is what a classical "cardigan" looks like.)
Pullover - jersery de cuello alto
Jumper - jersey
Sweater - is the category all these fall under as well as being a synonym for pullover and jumper.

18 Sep 2011     

1    2    Next >