Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What is your definition of an ESL resource? (Beware: probably a hot issue)    

What is your definition of an ESL resource? (Beware: probably a hot issue)

frenchfrog
France

What is your definition of an ESL resource? (Beware: probably a hot issue)

I am so stupid!!!!!! I thought that an ESL resource was an activity that could help my students to either SPEAK in English, WRITE in English, LISTEN to some English, READ some English!!!

I simply don�t get it (because I am really stupid!!!) when members upload Christmas / Valentine / birthday cards to colour (without even the names of the colours in English!!!!), carnival masks, gift tags, bookmarks, frames, cliparts, rewards �.

I am NOT saying that these materials are not nice. I am simply wondering if it is fair to upload them� Many members spend quite some time suggesting activities that will help our students improve their English. How can you help students improve their English with a bookmark or a card to colour (when there is absolutely no � or hardly any - vocabulary in English on it)???!!! I am eager to know, please explain all this to me!!!! (Please, don�t give me the argument that young children can�t read, because, although I am stupid, I know that.)

At the end of every lesson, I want my students to be able to say: �Well, today I have LEARNT HOW TO �� or �Now I CAN DO THIS, DO THAT� or �Now, I CAN TALK ABOUT ��, etc. I want to see an EVOLUTION!!!

17 Jan 2009      

Bibbertje
Belgium

Hey Frenchfrog,

I have not been a member of this site for long, but still I�d like to react to this. I have been wondering about the same for weeks, but I didn�t dare ask.

I don�t see how children/adolescents can learn anything from all these colouring pictures / stickers / masks / ... Every day, these things can be found in the new contributions. I just skip them, but still they take up server space and make the list of contributions longer.

So I too am really interested to see an explanation!

17 Jan 2009     

eaglestar
Philippines

I agree with you 100%. Those kinds of worsksheets are just clogging the system. Coloring pages have their own place in other websites for art stuff, not here.

17 Jan 2009     

xcharo
Spain

I agree with all of you. In fact, I�ve always wondered at the fact that so many people download them. Shocking!

17 Jan 2009     

frenchfrog
France

Thanks for giving your opinion!
Personally, I don�t just skip them, I also report them as "not an ESL resource". I hope I am not the only one doing it.

17 Jan 2009     

xcharo
Spain

thanks for your suggestion. I thought I was mistaken in my idea of what an ESL resource was and didn�t know what to do about it.

17 Jan 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi frenchfrog,
Of course, everybody here knows that just pictures are not ESL ressources, but  people upload them to get points. And there are people who download them . It�s the same problem as the stolen worksheets. If nowbody downloads a stolen worksheet or just pictures and if people reported this kinf of material, the unfair uploaders wouldn�t get points and would be banned from the site. I always report. But I think there is no way to avoid this kind of abuse. I think the best way is to ignore material which is not useful.

17 Jan 2009     

frenchfrog
France

I think we have to report any material which is not useful. Not simply ignore them.

To members who upload these materials: please, give us an explanation / suggestion about how you use these materials with your classes and above all, how your pupils / students learn some English with them!!! It will help us understand!

17 Jan 2009     

Mietz
Germany

I totally agree with you saying, that these materials aren�t ESL-resources unless the people uploading them give an explanation how to make it one.
Maybe that should become an obligation?!
If people upload just (colouring) pictures, bookmarks etc. - they have to give an explanation how to make constructive use of that in an ESL setting.

17 Jan 2009     

frenchfrog
France

Exactly!!

17 Jan 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Well done Ms Frog, once again you have hit the nail on the head. I have also long wondered about this issue, but have been too much of a coward to bring it up in the forum. I recall that when I was doing teacher training I was amazed at the number of teachers of primary level would give colouring as part of their homework. This was not an English exercise but just so that the picture would look nice. It is a lazy unimaginative teacher who just gives their children just something to colour as part of a lesson. Maybe in future I will also follow your lead and report such things as non esl resource.

17 Jan 2009     

1    2    3    Next >