Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Word of the Day

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=40186

14 Feb 2013      

edrodmedina
United States

Engineer George Ferris a Pennsylvania USA native whose birthday happens to be today, was the  inventor of the Ferris Wheel. Few though know of his lesser used invention the combobulator. The combobulator was a machine used in hair salons during the mid 1900s. The combobulator was used to treat women �s hair and make the hair luxuriously curly. Unfortunately it was later found that the combobulator had disastrous after effects causing many of its users to loose their hair. Thus Mr. Ferris had to invent a machine to counter the effects of the combobulator and so the discombobulator came to be. Ed

14 Feb 2013     

douglas
United States

discombobulator
A word derived from something a poorly educated hairstylist of the "Roaring 20s" said to one of her customers after finding the comb she used to perfect the trending "Bob" hairstyle she was so adept at had broken and it would take a few days to get a replacement comb:

"Dis(this) comb, bob you later."

For those unfamiliar with the "bob" hairstyle that is contributed to such historical greats as Cleopatra and Joan of Arc and was adopted by the "flappers" of the Roaring 20s after being made popular by such socialite trendsetters as Irene Castle and actresses Louise Brooks and Polaire,

Here is French Actress "Polaire" with her bob hairstyle:

PS--isn�t that waist ridiculous?

15 Feb 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

WORD OF THE DAY, 13 Feb 2013, WINNER

Not many members have yet posted entries defining the word "discombobulator", but I feel I have now to choose a winner.

Congratulations, edromedina,You are the WINNER of the COMPETITION

I have appreciated your history-based definition of the word.

I also thank the other entrants. They have all offered witty and funny entries.

It �s your turn now, edromedina,  to submit a WORD of the DAY to the Forum, and then choose a WINNER.

mohamedthabet

15 Feb 2013