Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Dissatisfaction     

Dissatisfaction

cami30
Romania

Dissatisfaction

The other day someone said that people would do anything to get points. That is true, we need points in order to be able to download materials but, from this.. to simply imitate/steal the type of worksheet people publish, that�s unbelievable.

After the success my worksheet had yesterday, today, there�s a huge number of similar worksheets. How strange is that? Well I didn�t upload 8-9 pages of exercises+key just to get points, I did it because that�s how I work, mainly with advanced students who are big worksheet consumers. I don�t have time to draw butterflies and flowers on my worksheets and I do provide keys because they are time savers when it comes to correcting papers. My students would solve 50 to 100 rephrase exercises an hour so that�s why I placed such a large amount of exercises. I could have split my worksheet in 10 �. that�s how people do here .I need points but because I need to find out how other teachers work with their students, methods used ,so that I could learn from them and become a better teacher. I don�t need points to qualify for a gold medal! �

So.. what �s the idea with this place here? Is it for exchanging ideas, methods, types of activities or get points ?

29 Jan 2009      

domnitza
Romania

Well.....

I haven�t had time to download the new ws for a couple of days, so I had to take a look of yours, first, to see what you are talking about. (I have already saved it in my PC, thanks!)

But let�s think before making some accusations, shall we?

People usually download printables that they are looking for, a certain grammar point or maybe a particular subject. So, worksheets they need. Secondly, there are some very eye-catching worksheets, very well designed and beautiful. So, worksheets they like.

Now, it is hard for me to believe that there are so many people who are desperately trying to imitate somebody�s style in order to get points. Come on, points are not money! Then, dear Cami, what you imply here is that there are some people who hurried to imitate your style yesterday and produce the same worksheets as you did two days ago. Or maybe they already had them? Unhappy If you are right, then we must congratulate them on being so busy bees, don�t we?

And yes, you are right, there are some of us who prefer to split their worksheets instead of uploading it as a whole, but why should we always judge them? If you don�t like it, don�t download their worksheets. It�s like watching a certain channel and always being angry at what they are showing, but you don�t switch to a different channel.

So... the idea about this place here is: and let me quote Jecika: "eslprintables is like a box of chocolate."
Let�s see how many chocoholics we have here!

29 Jan 2009     

cami30
Romania

Yes, actually you are right, maybe I jumped to conclusions �.I see you�ve got some experience here and you�re entitled to make good observations. And Kecika is right. Thank you anyway!

29 Jan 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Now that THAT problem is resolved, I�d like to thank you Cami for uploading all your sheets as one.
I see today that some have uploaded a single worksheet at a time as a part of many. (really many!)
Victor wrote that we should upload in 2 parts, only if necessary.

As most of us are really busy, it is a total bummer to have to upload 100 pages just to have the whole set of something.

I, for one, just don�t have the patience or time for this.
I�ve even seen people upload the  answers to a worksheet separately!
(which makes no sense at all!)

So, again, thanks for you great contributions.
Libertybelle

29 Jan 2009     

Khadooy
United Arab Emirates

Hi all,

It is actually good to look at different methods of activities and what matches the interests of different teachers...

I, for example, don�t like matching exercises in which a worksheets has more than 10 vocabulary...as I believe they are not practical in real classes or lesson... but I do download some of them if i see them....I sometimes try to modify them to make them match my own interests...

BUT let me tell you something... sometimes we are forced to make different worksheets for one set... for example, I designed certificates of achievements in PowerPoint that is 2007... Unfortuantely, when I saved it as PPS 2003... that size doubled from 150 KB to 700KB or even worse to 1.5 MB ... this is true and I am not kidding... so I had to separate all the certificates and redesign them again and save them as pictures first and then to the PPT...

Things go and go... and we don�t know how things work...

THIS SITE SHOULD USE THE NEWER VERSIONS OF MICROSOFT OFFICE =2007 NOT 2003 THE OLD ONE HAS BEEN EXPIRED .... WE

29 Jan 2009     

Khadooy
United Arab Emirates

We are in 2009 and the site still uses  Microsoft Word and PPT 2003... that is not good...

The newer version makes it much easier and takes less size

Khadooy

29 Jan 2009     

spring
Turkey

First of all thanks Cami for your contributions.I am glad that the problem was solved.Domnitza has always wisdom in her words.Secondly I wanna ask a question to all members.Do you think imitation is bad???If you ask me,I try to be original in my worksheets.But I don�t blame others who imitate. I feel proud if s.one imitates my work cos this shows taste.And also he/she may find my work useful and wanna increase the opportunity of much practice with similar exercises.I just wanna see them as inspirations rather than imitations.I think everyone cannot be in the thought of gaining points by doing so,but I may be wrong..

What is your opinion????

29 Jan 2009     

Khadooy
United Arab Emirates

YEA ...One more thing i forgot to say....
I am sometimes foreced to upload printables as PPT instead of MW just becasue the size of the printables

29 Jan 2009     

cami30
Romania

Thanks for all your answers. Fortunately I�m not a moody person and I get over thinks really fast. I�m �a Taurus and when I see red�Evil Smile I say whatever crosses my mind at that moment.�

Spring I�ve never thought that imitation might be a good thing but I see there�s a point in what you�re saying. �You might be right!

As for myself, living and working in a never-ending transition from bad to sometimes worse ( Long live our politicians!) I never find enough time for nicely coloured worksheets! ( is that envy?) . I always try to get the most out of something .

29 Jan 2009     

spring
Turkey

Imitation is not a good thing indeed but when it comes to teaching-learning......???
Some theorists even claim that imitation has a role in language acquisitaion.
So,in our profession we cannot consider it as a bad thing.
For example an imitation gold has no worth but an imitation worksheet does.
It still gives smth to SS.
Do you see any harm related to learning in imitated worksheets???
I think the aim is important in here.
So that the aim is benefit of SS in imitations,there is no problem with me.
Best regards...
:)))

29 Jan 2009     

cami30
Romania

Learning by imitating �is a good thing but too much imitation makes us less creative. So I give my SS models which they should take for granted but I also ask them to be creative. �

There�s a difference between what we are doing here and what we are doing in class. If I knew that they imitate for, and only for the benefit of their students I wouldn�t mind...

The aim should be THE STUDENT!

maybe the rules on the website all wrong. People would be more creative if there weren�t any restrictions! I mean a teacher should come here and upload materials just for the sake of sharing and not because they need points so as to be able to download other teacher�s materials.

thanks anyway!

29 Jan 2009     

1    2    Next >