Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Frustration?    

Frustration?

trelly
Argentina

Frustration?

As some of you know, I moved recently to Buenos Aires and I had to finish my course of studies in another institution. I had just 4 subjects left, and now, I have to sit for an entrance examination at -as it is said- the most important institute in Buenos Aires. (That�s not all, they acknowledge up to 30% of my former course of studies, and that�s up to 10/11 subjects out of 32)

You may think why I am frustrated.

The idea of sitting for an entrance examination was not nice, since I was almost finishing my course of studies, but I knew that if there was no examination of this kind, anyone would enroll just to learn or to polish their English.

And today we had the first meeting for the entrance summer course and I was completely frustrated. I don�t mean to criticize others, but I can�t understand what do some people think we learn at teaching training colleges. We were supposed to talk about our partners, and more than half of the people in my classroom were not able to say two words together. The woman sitting next to me told me she had enrolled in that institution to learn English and to speak English with other people. Then, we had to paraphrase 10 sentences and most of my mates couldn�t finish.

Sitting there, those two hours seemed endless. And then, I remembered an article by Ms Mar�a Lidia Camporro, �A Toast on Professionalism� in The Teacher�s Magazine #109 (this is a magazine from Argentina - if you want the text I can scan it for you). And I also remembered what I wrote in my blog after reading that article, and I thought:
What would I do if some of these people were my children�s teachers? They were not confident enough to talk in English to their mates, nor could they answer easy questions (for example, one girl asked "how old are you?" to her mate, and the answer was just a number in Spanish. So, they go into the course of studies, struggle to pass every single subject and get their degree, they then start working at different schools, and they are teaching our children something they still don�t know.

Is is like this everywhere? I don�t understand how this works, I studied English since I was a little girl, then started university knowing I had some knowledge on the language. Is it just here in Argentina that people go to teaching training colleges to learn English?

I just wanted to tell this to someone who could understand how I am feeling and perhaps receive some pieces of advice, because I can�t stop thinking that way during the meetings, and I know it would be really hard for me to stop doing so.

Thanks for listening :|

6 Feb 2009      

chobby
Mexico

Dear trelly:

I certainly understand some of your emotions of frustrations as I went to a similar experience when I got my degree as a teacher, in my school in a city which is the capital of the state, I wouldn�t know how to rate amongst the country but in the state is the best normal superior as It is called the university where students get their degree to be teachers in Mexico.

Here when I started the school which it is divided in different areas depending on the subject that you are going to graduate. I chose English because it was a language that I was familiar about since I spent some time of my life in the U.S.A. and I�ve lived in Cancun which is very touristic and you have to speak English in order to get a good job.

Anyway when I studied in that school many of the students aspiring to be English teachers did not have a clue of what they were going to study, like in your case many thought they were going to learn English and they did not know that the plan and progran of the school is intended to teach Pedagogy.

So I also struggled with those class mates that did not speak any English, at the end many quit the school in the middle of the first semester, and the ones that decided to stay, took courses on their own to improve their English

Regards 

6 Feb 2009     

trelly
Argentina

So is it lack of knowledge before enrolling? I mean, when they choose the course of studies to follow, don�t they ask what it is about at least?

I feel really awkward asking this kind of things, since I know the situation is similar in most places. Thanks for your words chobby!

BTW, I came across this article that sounds really interesting so I decided to share it with all of you!

6 Feb 2009     

Paola_
Argentina

I totally understand what you�ve been through!
The level and quality of education in our country is getting lower and lower.
But I wouldn�t say that this is just a problem concerning the teachers - believe me when I say that there are great teachers - who try to keep updated and even go to university at the weekend! They buy all the materials they need for school (books, markers, papers, etc) from their own salary - they also pay for their students� photocopies!!! And of course...they pay for their upgrading studies / courses / seminars/etc.  And consider that the average salary of a lucky teacher here is of about 450 American dollars.
I am a teacher myself.  I got my degree in 2000 and honestly, my college teachers were very demanding and strict with us. I only missed one class in 4 years and that�s because our teachers evaluated us every class!!!
Now that I am a qualified teacher, something that only in Argentina can happen...well...has happened to me...  After three running years of been working at a primary school, a "teacher" asked for her transfer from another city to the school where I work...and as I consequence I�ve lost many teaching hours.
I hold a "temporary position" and she has a "permanent" one. But what really makes me angry is the fact that this "teacher" is not really a qualified one. This means that she only attended some subjects at college but she�s never got her degree. Nevertheless, the Ministry of Education approves of such "abuses."
So as you see, sometimes the educational system is faulty.
You have to be ready and - most often than not-  expect the worse in our system Ermm
Just one last thing...keep on studying...�cos nobody can take that away from you!
HUGS

6 Feb 2009     

[email protected]
Canada

Hello,�

Let me tell you I feel your frustration. Unfortunately like in any field we have people n our field who shouldn�t be there for a wide variety of reasons.�

I went to one of the best universities in Canada, with a very well known Education program. Let me tell you, most days I would just be shocked to see how many people are allowed to slip through the cracks and get their degrees even though they are terrible educators. I heard of cases of people (deservingly and miserably) failing their field experiences and being allowed to continue in the program after appealing. It�s a joke unfortunately. Luckily, for every horrible graduate there are great new teachers ready to inspire a new generation. But still, it�s enough to make you want to homeschool sometimes. ��

6 Feb 2009     

cesitaluis
Argentina

i agree with all of you and i do understand your situation and feelings. it�s true many people here start studying English forgetting that it�s all about teaching. they think that they are there to learn english and that is it. it�s a pity that many of these people do get their degrees (i don�t know how omg!) and this is really sad because they leave no place to the rest who want to be TEACHERS. It is also an awful and inconceivable truth that the ministry seem to allow all these things (and many others)to happen. at the end of the day how you feel towards teaching and the effort you make is what really matters. you are not alone...
hugs from santa fe!!

6 Feb 2009     

chobby
Mexico

BTW.

My advice to you trelly while your attending this school is to be patient whith your classmates that can keep up with the rest and what I did in the past I tutor some of this students to help myself gain more  experience and just like we do with our students that are behind with the rest of the class, make them force themselves to be better students so tomorrow they will be better teachers.

I agree with m sansalone the educational system on our countries gives too many chances for bad students to approve their subjects and continue even when it is clear that they may never have the vocation to be teachers and that shows precisaly when they have to make the field experience

6 Feb 2009     

brookee
United States

Hi Trelly--

I just wanted to say thank you for the issue that you have brought up in your post.

First, I love The Times article you linked.  WOW!  What a shockingly sad reminder about the state of the education system in my OWN COUNTRY.

Secondly, let me say that I have the utmost RESPECT and ADMIRATION for all the English teachers around the world that are not native speakers of English.  I myself have studied Spanish and Portuguese in school, but never (I�ll repeat NEVERRRRR) do I feel that I could gain the CONFIDENCE, have the KNOWLEDGE, and master the EXPERTISE in either of my "second" languages to be able to TEACH them.

Your achievements thus far can be noted are REMARKABLE.  Please do not feel dissapointed, depressed or distracted by your experience at your university today.

I believe that you add VALUE to your students� lives everyday.  And because I had a semi-"tough" day in my own classes today, let me repeat the words that one of my colleagues said to me.  "Do not linger on these matters over which you have no control.  Just continue to be the awesome teacher that you are."

All the best (y buena suerte)  ~Brooke

6 Feb 2009     

soleole
Uruguay

Hi all,
I just thought I would add my 2 cents to the discussion :o)
I am originally from Uruguay which has a very similar education system (along with its shortcomings) to that of Argentina. Although I have never been to University in my own country (I moved to Canada to go to Uni when I was 19) I have heard from many of the friends I left behind that this is a big problem, and have your same frustrations, as well as what Paola mentioned.
However, what I actually wanted to point out, is that this not only happens in places like South America. I was working as a Spanish teacher last year in England, and let me tell you that the HEAD of the Spanish department, couldn�t hold a decent converstaion with me in Spanish. I assisted in a few of her classes, and her teaching skills were even worse. My students used to tell me they liked my classes 100 times better than hers, and I don�t even have my degree yet (not trying to brag here or anything, just using the example for comparison purposes Smile). Currently I teach English (and some private Italian lessons) in Germany (as an Intern) though being the only English teacher in the company I have the responsibilities that any "actual" teacher would have, and even so, having studied Psychology in Canda, Languages+Teaching in England (still in the works), and having a few years of teaching experience, I feel I have more work to do before I can call myself a teacher and face my future in a school/Uni as a teacher.
I think it really depends on the person (and having a good education system always helps) and what he/she believes to be enough formation to be called a teacher. Some people study only to get a degree not really caring if they come out of there unprepared, and unfortunately that really happens everywhere.
Anyway! I think this has turned into rambling now... so I�ll leave it at that! Embarrassed 
I feel your frustration too though! and that�s one of the reasons why I left South America, but I�ve come to find out, it happens all over.... go figure... Tongue
Un abrazo and hang in there!
Sol

I just wanted to add (yes, I know, I�ve already written enough! Tongue) in my course of studies in a British Uni (I do Languages (German, French, Italian) + Teaching) there are people (like me) who did not have prior knowledge in some of the languages when they started (I knew NO German at all), however I would NEVER dare teach German (and I have acquired a decent fluency level) unless I�ve mastered the same level that I have in English (which took YEARS). However, many of my classmates in my same situation, actually would, and probably will teach the languages after leaving Uni, and let me tell you, though some are quite good, some... well... aren�t. Smile

6 Feb 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

AND THIS SAME FRUSTRATION I FEEL HERE IN FRANCE TOO

Strangely enough, I have experienced more or less the same thing as you

Grown up in Morocco, where I studied English for 7 years, + 2 others in England, then came here in France to finish my studies (doctoral dissertation)

How was my frustration with the educational system, when I had to attend lectures  in my ENGLISH department where teachers speak French more than half of the time... In some lectures English was rather exotic, We had to write papers in French too, defend them in French....,
Later when I graduated, almost nothing changed.  Most  of my colleagues would respond in French...  when you start speaking English to them, The teaching itself is most of the times done in French.. Inspectors would give instructions to teach grammar points in French... as, they say, it is complex... so always opting for facility

Now it�s not at all strange to see that here in France we still have this reputation of bad English learners

To conclude, then, I think that it is more or less the same here

My advice????
Be patient , persevere, I would even add "be selfish" (sometimes it�s good to be selfish)
Afterall we can�t change the world, can we?

6 Feb 2009     

miss_yanis
Argentina

I totally understand you!!!

Something even worse has happened to me!! A few months ago I went to a seminar in a very important English Institution, and i was shocked to listen to a "teacher" who spoke in a terrible accent, it was English, but with a horrible Spanish accent, do u get what I mean?? She didn�t even make an effort to sound a little better! And to make things worse, she was a kinder and grades teacher!!

I think it�s terrible for children to have such a teacher, in the early years of learning because they will never overcome such a disastrous intonation! I was horrorized to think my kids could posibly have a teacher like her in the future!!

But, on the other hand, let�s thank God there are still many teachers like us, who worry about our capacitites and really try to stand out...

Kisses!

Miss Yanis

6 Feb 2009     

1    2    Next >