Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What do you miss first?    

What do you miss first?

anitarobi
Croatia

What do you miss first?

Dear colleagues, Most of us here really like teaching. Love it, in fact. I was just wondering, when your vacation time starts, what is the first thing you start to miss about teaching ( as that first wave of exhaustion passes;-)?

16 Jul 2014      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I miss my students...

16 Jul 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

My longest vacation is actually in December because I teach summer school. I �m with Sophia; I miss the students, and I also miss the schedule. What I don �t miss is paperwork!

16 Jul 2014     

manonski (f)
Canada

I miss not knowing what day of the week it is...  

16 Jul 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

manonski: LOL

16 Jul 2014     

you_per7
Algeria

I agree with ueslteacher. I miss my students. I miss the school canteen too (maybe because I am fasting ).

16 Jul 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

I gave up teaching 80 hours a week at an normal high school, and took a position at a Refugee Detention Centre. I don �t have 80 hour working weeks anymore, but I don �t get school holidays either. What I miss is these spare days of doing nothing, and what I like is to see those improvements of non-english speakers speaking english. That �s a good trade, isn �t it? Peter.  P.s. when you guys talk about school holidays, I do feel a bit sad.

16 Jul 2014     

carinita
Argentina

Some people...but not ALL people School atmosphere and jokes :D

16 Jul 2014     

karagozian
France

Oh Peter ! How can you possibly work 80 hours a day ? + the meetings! the paperwork, making ws! etc.....  + I. Forgot commuting, it takes me 2,5 hours a days. But for your poor students who endure terrible conditions it is a chance to have YOU with them all year round.
Personally I don �t miss anything, I have plenty of things to do and I enjoy to do things at a normal pace. After a month or so I �ll get a bit impatient.
God bless you Peter! You are a good and wise man. I always look for ware to your comments. BTW how do you manage to find the time ???

17 Jul 2014     

karagozian
France

A week of course I meant !

17 Jul 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Dear Karagozian. An 80 hour workweek is easily achieved by working at school from 7am to 7pm. And not five but seven days a week. I did that for seven years at a few aboriginal communities. We had to do everything including preparing breakfast and lunch, cleaning the toilets, fixing broken items, visiting the parents, make our own resources and so on. It was only a two teacher school with 50 kiddos. Over the weekend we often took the students on trips, and in the few hours left we did our prep work, the marking and the all other paper stuff. I remember not much about doing things for myself. That �s why I was burned out, and made a change in my career. Now I do 40 hours a week, but miss out on school holidays. And believe it not, I still love teaching :-) Cheers, Peter.

17 Jul 2014     

1    2    Next >