Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Grading help!! What would you do, teachers???    

Grading help!! What would you do, teachers???

Nebal
Lebanon

Grading help!! What would you do, teachers???

Hello dear ones,
As u know I �m under the stress of mid term tests � correction and grading.

As I was correcting the writing part , one of my 5th graders wrote about how he usually spends his weekends. However, the given topic was to tell how they spent yesterday!!!

So, my question is how would I grade his writing.
Would I consider it irrelevant to the topic and put nothing?
OR
Would I put marks for the form,  language and sequnce of events.
If the total mark is 8/24. Then, how much would I put?????

What do you think???

Waiting for your wise judgements ,as usual.
Hugs,
Nebal

18 Feb 2009      

Zora
Canada

Well, I would take one point off for not paying attention to the heading and then mark accordingly - since it is as you said a test and something quite important. Although, personally, I �d never fail a student for that... to me it �s important that the student wrote something intelligent and in the tense specified by the teacher... which in your case is the simple past or past continuous or both...

18 Feb 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

I think that if he was taking one of the Cambridge exams, or some other, it would be a fail, because it wasn �t the given topic. But then, i think it would be harsh to do that considering his age. If it �s his first time, be lenient on him. That �s how eye feel about it. 

18 Feb 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi Nebal,
I would consider it because the important thing here is to learn to comunicate. I think you could grade his writing and so one and just put a note under his work. I think it �s quite frustrating if a pupil writes a nice text and then it �s not considered because of such a mistake. It would be diffennt if it was a contest for advanced students.
A big hug
Silvia

18 Feb 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi, Nebal.
As I have already told you, previously, in my opinion testing and grading are difficult and very hard experiences.They get even more difficult when we loose the north of what we are doing. When we make a test, all we want to check is if the student "knows".
Let me give an example - I  am out of money, so I go to the ATM ( those machines to take our money from the bank, I don �t know the exact name ) to get some money from my account; I missclick my code, the machine won �t give me any money; well, I can �t argue with a machine, but I AM NOT A MACHINE.
I need money and, suddenly, I just can �t remember my password; what does this mean? I am handicapped in some way?
Even with a stupid machine, obviously something very efficient, but also a little stupid, I have a second and a third chance to correct my password.
Students suddenly don �t pay enough attention to instructions, but even so they are clever enough to see a possibility of arranging a new kind of exercise which, obviously, is also possible, BUT, IT IS WRONG; BECAUSE THE MASTER HAD DEMANDED SOMETHING DIFFERENT. Aren �t they given a second chance to correct their answers?
Well, my opinion is that we should always work with a positive aim.
My only question, and now regarding your last post, too, in my opinion, it should be up to teacher �s decision, because of the personal knowledge he/ she has of each student, to decide if the student is, or is not, cheating. If you are sure a student gave you a different answer, because he didn �t know the right one and, he is disguising a different answer pretending he didn �t read correctly the instructions... well... that �s another subject.
I like to discuss these topics, I feel they are so difficult that I always want to "listen" to other comments.
Hope I could give you some light.

18 Feb 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Well, just to finish, as harim reported, very well, that is what I call, obviously, cheating. My student = graded 0

18 Feb 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Thinking that the written part of the test would be "describe a garden",Tom had already copied one from the internet.To his big surprise,the teacher asked them to write about a plane.So,this is what he wrote:
"The plane is a very comfortable means of transport;but sometimes it isn �t.Last holidays,we took the plane to Norway but because of some mechanical problems it crashed on Tivoli Gardens.
Tivoli Gardens are located in..........(he pasted the text he had already copied)

What would you give out of ten?

I think,as teachers,we have to give clear instructions and assume our responsabilities.
We also have to penalize stds who cheat and be fair to others.I �d rather not be too
lenient because this can put honest and dishonest students on the same lines.

It �s hard to be a good teacher but harder to be a good judge .

All the best

18 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Reading the instructions and understanding them are part of the exam.
If my kids are too busy to read the instructions, I take them down one whole
grade.

This way they learn to take the time to read the rules - just like some newcomers here don �t read the rules and then yell for help on the messageboard.
We have to teach our students, that there are no short cuts.

18 Feb 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Sorry, I don �t know why my post come all out of order, It seems I made a great mess.

18 Feb 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Liberybelle is right about that. If carelessness is not penalised somehow, then how will you make sure that the student doesn�t make the same mistake twice.
Did you check the test i uploaded some time ago? It is exactly what we�re talking about. You can read what �s it about in the preview.
I �m more than willing to email it to anyone interested.

18 Feb 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Ivona is right: if you set the rules in the test nobody can complain later.  From now on you should try to set a grading scale. For example: content:15 points, performing the task according to the rules 20 points, Grammar 20 points, etc. I mean, according to your objectives you set your grading scale.

But now, sorry for being lenient, they are too small!!!!! Is this the first time they do such a mistake?? What about giving them fewer marks???

18 Feb 2009     

1    2    Next >