Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Why Did You Choose Teaching as Your profession?    

Why Did You Choose Teaching as Your profession?

Portugal

I belong to a third generation of women teachers in my family. I just can�t see myself having a different kind of job.

School is my natural environment. I feel happy in school and I enjoy being happy as many hours of my day as possible.
So, there you are...
:)))

12 May 2009     

carlaaguiarsilva
Portugal

Hello! I �m the only teacher in the family, so I guess it wasn �t a heritage... But I can still feel the smell of the brand new school materials when I started school, 31 years ago! I thought to myself: �this is what I want to do for the rest of my life, be at school everyday �. And here I am: 15 years of teaching and loving it more and more everyday!

12 May 2009     

rach81
Philippines

I want to share mine too. When I was a still a child, people often ask me what I want to be when I grow up. I always answer doctor or a lawyer. Since in our country many belive that if you �re doctor or lawyer you �re good, intelligent, it �s like one of the highest professions and it really impressed them. But my heart shouts deep inside me saying " teacher, I want to become a teacher." I love playing teacher with my friends before. They are my students and I am the teacher. When I wake up in the moring I think of being a teacher, when I sleep at night I often dream of teaching. So, I persued education course. Many discouraged me from taking up education since they say "Teaching alone cannot make you rich or millionaire" But I can �t imagine myself not teaching. I love teaching it �s in my heart.

I told myself so what if I won �t be a millionaire. Money is not what is important. It is the satisfaction and fulfillment that I feel at the end of the day. Yes it �s true that being a teacher is tiring but at the same time fulfilling. I feel fulfilled everytime I see my student �s smiles, laughter, being able to help them when they �re down. and receiving thank you letters that I became part of their lives and they want to become like me someday. These truly inspire me a lot.

AND IT �S REALLY ODD NOW I FEEL NOT ONLY A MILLIONAIRE BUT A BILLIONAIRE OR MORE THAT!

rach c",)

12 May 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

i guess Teaching chose me and i don �t think it ever regretted because:
- i get along with children much better than i do with adults; in fact, i get along only with children
- we "incite each other to ever new births" (nietzche), the more i give, the more they want; the more i try, the better i become; the more i want to fly up high, the more others (adults) want to bring me down, but then i get stubborn and go �banzai�!
- i can tell them everything to their face knowing that they won �t mind it (while adults take it to heart, being vain and stubborn)
- they can tell me everything to my face knowing that i won �t mind it (and adults talk behind my back, even though i accept whatever (un)justified criticism they direct at me)
- i work with a whole child, and many work with just the student
- i want to make a change (even though others think i �m crazy) and prevent them from becoming the adults i described above

12 May 2009     

gilorit
Israel

I kind of feel like Ivona that teaching chose me.
I studied English literature and Israel studies in University, thinking of becoming a tourist guide.In my last year in University I got pregnant (I got married before I began my studies), so I decided to become a teacher and not a tourist guide , so that I could spend more time with my child. I DO NOT REGRET IT!!! I feel this is my duty in life, and sometimes I think of myself as a tourist guide - I guide children, show them new and interesting "places", show them learning can be fun, like an adventurous journey. I just LOVE what I do.I LOVE people. I feel I give something to others and the feeling is just GREAT.
Orit

12 May 2009     

cgato
Portugal

Hi!

I �ve never thought about being a teacher! When I was a teen I thought it was such a boring job. I went to university to study English always thinking I �d be an interpreter and work in an embassy or abroad.

Then I started teaching and I just loved it! It is never boring and sometimes....just sometimes... we think we can make a difference!After 17 years teaching, it still amazes me how we can impress students, how we can "leave a mark"! How they rely on us when their family fails. And that is such a big burden!

I AM A TEACHER AND I LOVE IT Smile

A big hug to you all

12 May 2009     

mamamima
Zimbabwe

what a nice idea!!!! well here �s mine: just like Zora and Damielle I �m an inborn teacher!!!when still a little one, I would teach my friends, brother, neighbours and dolls. I was determined to be a teacher from scratchand no one in my family was surprised when I took up the teacher training course. first I thought of becoming a KINDER one but my love for the English language was so poweful that I soon decided to combine both and here I am. I love teaching English and kiddies have always been my passion!!!

12 May 2009     

gilorit
Israel

Hi
I must say that after reading some posts yesterday I got really depressed and thought I don �t want to be in this site anymore. I felt really tired and so unhappy.
But after reading your posts about this subject I am so moved and I see haw much alike we are,and maybe, maybe we have a chance, a little one to bring change and make the world a better one.
thank you
Orit

12 May 2009     

cgato
Portugal

yes orit!  Don �t be depressed Smile! no matter how tiny how the chance is, we must make an effort! After all, we are the profession that teaches all professions!

keep fighting.. always... to better our world.. to support students... and to teach englishBig smile

12 May 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

NEVER DREAMT THAT I WOULD EVER BE A TEACHER!!!!

After seeing all those wonderful posts I feel a little embarrassed relating my "journey" into the teaching profession. �But I think that I am among friends so here goes!

Shortly after I got married my hubby was imprisoned. �He got 6 years for burning down a school one night while under the influence of some drugs. �I was devastated as I was pregnant on my first child (Shiela). �

On one of my weekly visits to my (by now) very depressed hubby I suggested that he take up some kind of study to pass the long hours away. �To my great relief after two weeks he told me that he had a burning (sic) desire to become ( of all things!) �a teacher!! �He had arranged it all and had got permission from the prison authorities to begin. �Needless to say I was "over the moon"!

Gradually I became interested too and decided to go back to college and study myself. �I used to visit hubby every week and we would swap ideas and try to help each other in the short time allocated to us.�

To cut a long story short he qualified a year before me and when he got out of prison the government actually helped him to get a position in a secondary school. Two years later I was teaching English in a junior school. �So the bad beginning had a happy ending. Shiela is now studying to become a teacher too.

By the way, �if you are shocked and really believe the above you really need to get your heads examined hahahahaha! ��
�It was just that I loved the idea of being a teacher since childhood and here I am hahaha!Hug�Love you all on this forum.

12 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >