Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > DON īT MISS THIS    

DON īT MISS THIS

Katiana
Spain

Dear friends

Donīt believe Cristina. I swear she is lying. I left her a comment on her blog with my name and sent her an e-mail to her account asking her to delete my wss. She hasnīt answered me so far. Marisa also told her to delete her wss from the page and after this she changed everything on her blog, deleted the comment we had left  and again uploaded works from Marisa and other members. She has also changed the options to send comments to her blog. Now they must be approved by her before being published, so she must be afraid of something.

Thanks for all your support. Have a nice Sunday and a big hug!

Katiana

31 May 2009     

flo84
France

Dear Katiana

Displaying worksheets without giving credit to the real authors is letting people assume you did those worksheets yourself. It is dishonest. This is what I wrote to Cristina in a PM and this is what I still think! Sharing is not stealing! You can share only what is yours!!
Big hugs and a nice Sunday to you too.

31 May 2009     

Katiana
Spain

Dear friends

Donīt believe Cristina. I swear she is lying. I left her a comment on her blog with my name and sent her an e-mail to her account asking her to delete my wss. She hasnīt answered me so far. Marisa also told her to delete her wss from the page and after this she changed everything on her blog, deleted the comment we had left  and again uploaded works from Marisa and other members. She has also changed the options to send comments to her blog. Now they must be approved by her before being published, so she must be afraid of something.

Thanks for all your support. Have a nice Sunday and a big hug!

Katiana

31 May 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

We would all like to know what your post says Christina! I for one do not know Spanish. This site is for sharing so please interpret for us all. If the post is directed to a Spanish speaking colleague ..then please send it as a PM. Thank you.
Caroline.

31 May 2009     

Cristina8
Spain

Ah and I īd like also to mention that NOW I īve read your emails because you have posted that here, I don īt live in front of the computer and you can believe me or not, in the blog page it appeared the comments as anonymous. Again  this is a witch-hunt. I don īt hide, quite the contrary and I īm trying to explain.

Victor please I want to quit from this website as I don īt think I must be attacked and insulted for using the worksheets, I believed its goal was to be shared and used. I deleted all the worksheets I uploaded in the blog. So please I īve apologised what do you want?

Katiana you can believe it or not, depends of how much evil-minded you are, but my intention was to help my students not to offend anyone or appropriate the effort of anyone. I did īt earn anything from this, my students did.

I can īt keep on justifying myself forever. I can īt go on apologising everyday. So for all the people who are sensible, I īm sorry, thank you for teaching me so many things.

31 May 2009     

roneydirt
United States

If I translate correctly Christina īs post is this:
"VICTOR you REMOVE ME OF THIS PAGE. You ERASE ME OR WHAT BE, I do NOT WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN SOMETHING THAT is CONTRADICTED AND NO SENSE MAKES. You HAVE ASKED PERMISSION TO UTILIZE THE DRAWINGS THAT APPEAR IN YOURS PUT ON FILE?, THEREFORE WELL THOSE YES they HAVE COPYRIGHT THAT PASS GOOD WEEKEND, TO MY SOME HYPOCRITES they HAVE EMBITTERED IT ME "

Unfortunatly there is little recourse to "stolen" documents unless you actually went through the process of copyrighting your work.  There is a copyright thing that Victor can do for the site itself, but can īt remember the actual copyright form name for doing websites like this.  Why certain materials I have posted on other sites have watermarks on them because I have been burned before in this issue.  Loved it when a few years back a photographer won a nice prize and when they posted it in photography journal a friend recognized it and informed me.  Now because there was no watermark and he trimmed the original he was able to keep the prize and it was posted on a regular site kind of like this one but for artist suggestions exchange.  Yes Alienboy was right that there is an informal agreement when we signed up that we won īt post on other sites but it is not a legal binding agreement, it is what we call a spoken word contract.  Spoken word contract are harder to prove except in this case since it is viewable material.  If the individuals in question are making financial gains then they are legally liable and owe the original writer compensation as well as the site it was taken from.  So that is the question are the indiviuals in question making financial gains?  Are they selling the work as their own?  If the answer is no on both then there is little recourse that can be done legally.  This is information from a few years ago and there may have been some changes since.

31 May 2009     

renca
Czech Republic

Hi  everybody,

I have just read all the posts on this topic and checked out the provided links - and found some of my conversation cards in Japanese! Jecika, thanks for the link!

I donīt know whether I should feel offended or flattered, but I expected to happen something like this anyway. I only feel sorry that I wasnīt asked for permission, it is at least good manners to ask if you want to use somebody elses īs work.

I have been thinking of using some kind of copyright protection - we could add Đplus our name to indicate that the worksheet is only our work. How do you see it?

Cheers

Renata

31 May 2009     

ssrl10
Spain

I think Cristina is right on a thing: many worksheets contain copyrighted materials, even photos scanned from books. However, I guess that what happens with what she did is just that she did not ask for permissing even when being able to.  When we mention the word stolen here, I guess we all speak on moral grounds.

On the other hand, Cristina is trying to apologise for what she said and explain the reason why she did so. She is not hiding, as other people do (when I say other people I refer to person who have included materials from this site on their blogs and have been mentioned here but instead of apologising in public is sendind PM asking other people to appologise for having mentioned his name). Moreover, she did it to help her students and if she had asked for permission and mentioned the source everything would have been right. I guess everybody whom she took the worksheets from would have agreed to allow her use the worksheets if she had asked for, as thatīs the purpose of this site. If she were making money out of that, it would be illegal, of course, but what she did is not right on moral grounds.

31 May 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Thank you roneydirt. Thanks for the interpretation. I really have no idea of the copyright laws on websites. It is such a pity that it has come to this. 泎ut I feel sure that it will all become clearer as time goes on. I think that we must all "cool down" now and let īs see what Victor may have to suggest. Most of us have expressed what we wanted to say and maybe we should let it at that for the moment. I feel so sorry for Victor sometimes. He has put so much effort into this site to make it one of the best sites of it īs kind. It cannot have been easy for him. It took a lot of dedication and time. So lets all support him always in whatever way that we can.
Caroline�Hug

31 May 2009     

alien boy
Japan

As stated earlier:

In the rules which all members agree to when they open an account it states:
  • The printables included in this website are property of their authors. When you send us a printable you agree that other people can download and use it.
  • The printables included in this website can be downloaded for personal use only. You are not allowed to use them for commercial purposes, nor to publish them by any means.
This means that those members who have published worksheets & other uploads from here are breaking the rules of the site membership if they do not get permission from the owner of the work. (This is distinct from copyright laws & regulations)

It follows that those members should be advised they are breaking an important condition of their membership and should lose their membership status.

Hi Roneydirt!

The information you provided is really interesting... but... in many jurisdictions a copyright can be asserted from the time of creating an original form of an item. The distinction is that it is not a registered copyright! In the US this may present a problem if you were seeking recompense in a civil suit. Otherwise youīre spot on . If you wanted to take someone to court usually things hinge on the money issues. If you have made something available for free & someone has used it then you wonīt get any compensation for their use unless theyīve been making money from it. The offender may be forced to remove an item (in this case) from their website but itīs unlikely that a solicitor would recommend taking a case like this to court as there is no money changing hands.

Hi renca (& everyone else)! Adding a Đplus our name doesnīt actually mean you have a registered copyright. In fact, you donīt need to add anything to a work to copyright it - generally speaking as soon as you have created an original (but not necessarily unique) item copyright exists.

If you  wish to register the copyright (thatīs what the represents) then you have to do so with the appropriate government agencies/authorities. The registration may be recognised internationally depending upon the agreements between countries. Registered copyrights are for more easily enforceable in economic terms than unregistered copyright.

Thatīs enough guff from me on this one!

Good night

p.s. by using a work in its entirety without the ownerīs permission then copyright is definitely being infringed upon whether there is any income involved or not.

31 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >