Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar question    

Grammar question

juliamontenegro
Brazil

Yeah, I do believe that some books are printed with some mistakes, but, I need to know what to do about that sentence... Is it gramatically incorrect?

18 Jun 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

The sentence sounds correct to me - a mouthful for sure and something you could ask differently, but not incorrect.

18 Jun 2009     

johanne23232
Israel

I agree with Spagman that the TO DO should definitely be at the end of the sentence. 

18 Jun 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Sorry I type between classes, but the first was correct and so is Spagman.  It kind of depends on what is the rest with it, which rule you want to use, and what you want to show.  My opinion since there are a variety of rules that can be used. 

Now here is the co-teacher and my question for those on here to answer

(_____) today �s newspaper, it �s possible that humans will live on the moon.

A) Accordingly
B) In accordance to
C) Which it accordance
D) Accordance
E) According

I have my answer and we both think it is missing a word.  Because it is on the test and study guide we want to make certain our thoughts on it are correct.

18 Jun 2009     

genzianella
Italy

I was talking to a fellow teacher the other day and she was disgusted because she found so many mistakes in "Total English Elementary"! You find it hard to challenge what �s on print in front of your students! She said she had bought the book because of its good reputation and because she wanted to give her students a good book to study on but she was really disappointed!

18 Jun 2009     

douglas
United States

The first sentence is "acceptable", but Spag �s is the "more correct" answer.  I wouldn �t change it in the book, because (as you said) the students may see it again.

18 Jun 2009     

genzianella
Italy

@Roneydirt: I �d go for B (in accordance to)

18 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hi there, I agree with the boys this morning... (and the three really ARE guys... amazing! lol)

Both options can be used, "the advise" part in the question implies something should be done. But the "to do" question is more correct because it states and emphasizes something should be done.

And my little grain of salt here, and as a grammar nut that I am, grammar books do have errors. It �s just that most people don �t see them, so when something sounds fishy to you, or not right, it could very well be that the sentence is off.

Just remember - books are written by people and people make mistakes.

18 Jun 2009     

Apodo
Australia

"What would you advise someone to do who has a lot of stress at work?"

This question isn�t really incorrect, but I would ask:

"What would you advise someone to do if they were having a lot of stress at work?"

Why? Because putting   �to do � at the end of this sentence puts it a long way from the subject - even though it is technically correct - I think it would be better rephrased. It sounds much more natural, and is better English in my humble opinion.

It is possible that some English speakers would use this construction.

18 Jun 2009     

ishu
Turkey

@Roney

It should have been "according TO."

18 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >