Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar question    

Grammar question

Apodo
Australia

(_____) today �s newspaper, it �s possible that humans will live on the moon.

A) Accordingly
B) In accordance to
C) Which it accordance
D) Accordance
E) According

You �re absolutely right ishu.

The above answers are all incorrect. It should be according to.

18 Jun 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

We all know books may have mistakes, but we also know those of us working all our life in this do know which book to use and which to avoid and we can recognize mistakes because we have not learnt only from books.

Now, that has nothing to be with the original post and I stick to my answer  for two reasons:

1. it is what I have always known as correct English and it does follow the rules

2. because, even when acceptable, it may be confusing

I try to avoid ambiguity and/or confusion.
The same happens when you use an object in mid of a phrasal verb. Books say you should not. However, it is accepted.
In my opinion, common sense and good English say we should not.

Once more I would make a difference between what is every day language and what is truly correct when somebody is asking about grammar as that question aims to formal, correct English and what we use in every day life is not so correct but quite informal.

Going back to books: they help, but experience has the last word.

18 Jun 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Interesting responses on both questions and hope it helped... sorry forgot the name the original poster on his/her question.  Now on mine it was a question pulled from a textbook that the main co-teacher put on the test review and test.  Didn �t know till later but the co-teacher asked the main co-teacher that she thought it was wrong.  The main co-teacher goes it was written in the book so it is correct.  My co-teacher came to me.  I showed her this site and put the question up in case I am not around.  I then pointed the mistake to the main co-teacher and she about bite my head off that it is in the book and correct.  Just another battle being a Native English teacher in a foreign land I guess. 

18 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3