Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > help, please! I īm confused...    

help, please! I īm confused...

ajaaron
Thailand

As with cookinggongas, grammar is my subject...and Douglas I feel lucky that I have put so much into grammar and I like to hear my students use the correct form of the language. So I think I am lucky as well :)

I think we should remember that subjunctive that-clauses are manipulative in a semantic sense.  Luckily the subjunctive only includes a few verbs; advise, ask, demand, insist, recommend, request, and urge.

I also believe that they have no tense form in a subjunctive. I mean if the embedded verb is never altered, and we only use the base form of the verb, it means there is no form of tense at all.

The man demanded (that the store return his money).
The man is demanding (that the store return his money).
They insist (that all the student sign up for the course).
They insist (that the student sign up for the course).

The subjunctive clause has no tense!

The semantic use of the subjunctive is control, be it weak or strong.

We suggest that you stay one more day.
The university requires that freshman live in dormitories.
He requested that they give him an extra week to finish the assignment.

Which is why hope does not work the same way. There is no control.

She hoped that her husband get a better job. (Clearly wrong).

The subjunctive seems to reflect this common semantic theme.

I feel a worksheet coming on :)

P.S.
I hope we don īt start to think of using "live" language as an excuse to allow the use of incorrect grammar. Students should have a strong foundation before experimenting in my opinion :)

I am not trying to judge anyone at all, but funnily enough, I had a chat with a conversation teacher last week who stunned me with examples of what he accepts as English. "
My friend did bad in the test. / Him and me went to Italy.". He accepts these as "live" English because many native speakers say it. (shudder). Sorry, but that is rubbish. It is plainly poor English. Once students understand why it is poor English them I am happy to let them experiment. (IMHO)

30 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3