Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > unintentional typos    

unintentional typos

anitarobi
Croatia

unintentional typos

Hi, everybody!
I �m not seeking any long discussion here, but Baiba �s post about mistakes in wss made me think again and check and recheck mine. Although I know this is not what was referred in her post (I know what you meant - I �m with Mena on this one - if I see this, I send people pms, because sb did it for me when I first started here, and, just like Mariethe, I appreciated the care with which it was done and corrected things at once). However, I would post this as answer to Baiba �s post, but it �s at the bottom of the page and about to go away, so I �ll use this opportunity to say it like this -
I sincerely apologize to all of you who download my wss and then find words like sned instead of send, or celar instead of clear, etc. I have just started having this problem this spring - I mix up letters when I type them and often don �t see them when I check (I do check, and re-check, believe me). I �ve talked to a friend who is a secretary and spends a lot of time typing and asked her if this is normal or I should be worried. She said it sometimes happens when you type a lot(and I have spent a lot of time at the computer this year), and then your brain sort of remembers it and repeats it for a while, so you have to be extra-concentrated to get rid of the nasty little habit... I hope I make it (haven �t managed so far).

Anyway, what I was wondering was just - do things like this ever happen to you - like a glitch in your brain system? Forgive my curiosity - perhaps I �m just looking for sb who says �Hey, I have that problem, too! � so that I could feel better about myself.... (just ignore my post if you �re too tired...)
Good night,
Anita

27 Jul 2009      

mariannina
Italy

�Hey, I have that problem, too! �   Smile

Yes, it happens to me because I use the computer a lot, for myself and for those colleagues at school who can �t cope with a computer very well. The problem is that I don �t see the typos because in my mind the words are correct! Confused
Well, good night to you, too! Hug

27 Jul 2009     

meuge
Argentina

I do!!! I do!!!!
It happens to me all the time!! I think it happens more often when I am in a hurry... and I want to type too many words in little time... then it happens ... i mix letters and write staff like graet instead of great, Eunegia instaed of Eugenia, and so on and on...
Don �t worry!! Just relax and type slowly...

Husg!! (there.. Hugs!!)HugWink

M. Eugenia

PS instaed  I didn�t mean it... really... Wacko

27 Jul 2009     

Portugal

My dear anitarobi, after four years spent writing my doctoral thesis, I suddendly realized, when I was preparing for the defense, that I had one of those annoying misspellings on the very first page. I reopened the document on the computer and kept asking myself how this could have happened: the mispelling was underlined in red, for God�s sake!

These tiny little events just remind us of how human and fallible we are� the big issue is that we are also mortal.  (but very hardworking, too�)

:)))

27 Jul 2009     

douglas
United States

Anita, it happens to me all the time and drives me crazy.  I am an extreme editor of documents, I write them slow and reread as I write them, and then I usually go back and read for content and then for grammar.  But it still happens to me and it embarasses me--"that isn �t supposed to happen to me, I don �t make those mistakes"...haha
(chat messages, don �t get edited so much)

Douglas

PS- I agree with ladybird too

27 Jul 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Hi ainta, I dno �t knwo what yuo are tlaknig abuot. It hsa nevre happned to me!!!LOL

I soemtimse think thta my brain is giong to explode!!! 

27 Jul 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

I cdnuol �t blveiee taht yuo cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn �t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and the lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig, huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

27 Jul 2009     

Pinky Makus
Canada

It happens to me all the time.  I always mix up there and their, the and they, where and were and several other words.  I also have conflicts in my mind because of Canadian vs. American spelling.

:)

27 Jul 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, there

If you don �t mind, I don �t think Baiba was referring to typos and some inattention mistakes that one can make because in hurry or writing and thinking to something else in the same time or whatsoever reason it could be. I think she/he was referring to those WS that are completely unusable, especially in class, because of the unreasonable number and type of mistakes they contain.

As far as I am concerned, I can sleep a bit better tonight. Now, I know I am not the only one.
We are all humans and subject to mistakes. But when the number and �ore importantly the type of mistakes exceeds a certain limit, it becomes a problem. And problems need solutions.

BTW, and by curiosity, has anyone received a PM from a certain dananu pretending she/he is able to correct the typos and mistakes we �re talking about here.

Regards everybody.

27 Jul 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

damielle
ballycastle1

Yuo �er graet !

27 Jul 2009     

Portugal

I gsues tihs is gonig two trun uot a oht tipoc...
Wacko

27 Jul 2009     

1    2    Next >