Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Classroom management...help me please!    

Classroom management...help me please!

envi83
Malaysia

Classroom management...help me please!

hi,

I �m a practicum teacher and i have problem in controlling my class. the number of pupils in my class is 46 and the class is too small, i have to squeeze my way when i need to move around the class. they talk and like to move around, what can i do? any suggestion?

3 Aug 2009      

mariannina
Italy

I don �t know if it will help you!

3 Aug 2009     

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

46 students in one classroom????

3 Aug 2009     

jijim
Tunisia

well, sure that having 46 pupils in a small classroom is very tiring especially when pupils are not disciplened.  However it is not impossible to manage yor classroom.  here are my tips becquse i worked with 41 pupils.
     1) Try if ossible to divide them into 2 groups so thqt you teach each group seperately.  you will see a big difference both in their behaviour and learning.
      2) If you can t ,  divide your class into balanced area, mix your pupils so that you don t have naughty pupils all together in the same rank.
      3) Try group work and pair activities and make it clear to your pupils that they need to name a captain for the group and a speaker, the captain is responsible if members are not serious or naughty, the speaker s task is to report to the other groups his or her group work.
      4) When preparing your lessons choose motivating topics such as songs, short videos, crosswords, puzzle, short stories, visuals...    Remember when pupils feel that what they are learning is no more boring and that the way they are getting the information is exciting they will stop being disintertested.
       5) A good way to get your pupils involved is that to score each activity they do.

hope it s fruitful

3 Aug 2009     

sarahgriffin
Ireland

I could possibly have a fantastic solution to this problem... but I �m not sure!!

I will be returning to college im September to do what is called a PGDE (a postgraduate diploma in Education)  It �s a necessary evil for all us secondary school teachers!!

Anyway, I was given advice by a previous student of this course who had problems controlling her classroom.  She told me to visit a site called "Teacher �s T.V"

Here is the link straight to the �behaviour � section.

http://www.teachers.tv/behaviour

I have not had a chance to look over the site myself, but I am confident that it should help you somehow, and any ofther teachers reading this - maybe you might find some fantastic/creative ideas yourselves!!

Have a nice day!!

Sarah

3 Aug 2009     

miss_marina...
Chile

Thanks for the tip, Sarah !!

When you work with a large group of students you should always keep them working in pairs. In that way, instead of having 46 students you will have only 23.

Also, I would create a type of behavior chart per group. In that way, I will keep an eye on each group. At the end of the unit, you can give a prize for "best attitude",  effort, participation, etc.

What do the other teachers do with the chair distribution in their lessons? It would be very nice if you can change the "normal distribution" of the classroom and set new rules for your lesson.

Have a good day !

4 Aug 2009