Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > silent your phone?    

silent your phone?

Nabila Manzur
Argentina

silent your phone?

hi ! I have a doubt related to a warning sign that i want to use in my classroom , which one do you think is more suitable

please silent your mobile phone

please set your mobile phone to silent

i dont want to use please turn your mobile phone off, because they can keep it on, but i dont want it to ring.

I �ve  asked in wordreference forum and this is what they told me

but i�d like to read your opinion as well :)

thanks in advance for your help

regards

Naby

6 Aug 2009      

miss.cecilia
Argentina

Hi Nabila

That �s a good question!

I think I would say "Keep your mobile on silent mode" or "Please put your mobile phones on silent mode"

6 Aug 2009     

goodboy
Colombia

Silent is an adjective or a noun. Silence is a verb. It should be Silence your phone. Or you can say Keep your phone to a silent status.

/goodboy

6 Aug 2009     

_babz
Canada

Hmm, here in Canada, we �d say:

Please set your cell on silent

but I guess you can say: Please set your mobile on silent mode

sounds the best, I think...

or you can just make a sign, that way you don �t have to remind them every 2 seconds...ciao :)

6 Aug 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Or... you could ask your students to turn off their cell phones. Wink

6 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Nabila
Why in the world are your students allowed to have their phones turned on in class?
If you use phones in teaching - that �s fine - but if not - there is no reason for phones
to be on and disrupt teaching.
They can also text message with someone (under the table) and cheat on tests.
I think we have to stop giving in to the whims of these kids and set some rules!

6 Aug 2009     

FroggyClaudine
France

I have the same question as libertybelle. Pupils don �t need their phones during the lessons. Moreover, as far as the classroom I teach in is concerned, we have loud speakers around the room and each time a pupil gets a message, there �s a bip bip bip in the speakers... That �s the way I know that some pupils haven �t set their phones off. 

6 Aug 2009     

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

Here in Portugal, students are not allowed to have their cell phones turned on, and they know they can �t! However, they sometimes "forget" and  there we go "bip bip bip". They excuse themselves and turn it off or set it on silent.

There �s no other way! We don �t know if their phones are on or off when we go into the classroom!!
If the class is a nice one, there �s no problem. However, if the students have "special behaviour" or "special needs" it may become a huge problem. Sometimes they use their cell phone camera and it ends up on the net!!!

We have to be carefull with these ones, and I believe we all use the expression turn off your cell phones, so they don �t have any doubts about it :)

Gretings from Portugal

6 Aug 2009     

azaotl
Mexico

WELL...here we just say..."keep your cellphones in your schoolbag"... and works :P they know it �s not possible to use it in class...

6 Aug 2009     

carinaluc
Argentina

After a long period of political and social unrest in our country, setting rules is not that easy, especially at school.  I work in a state school, and if rules are not especifically set by the authorities, there �s nothing this humble teacher can do about it.  It sounds hard, but that �s the way it is.  Some students are sensible enough to turn off their mobiles during class (I set the example because I do that in front of them at the beginning of the class) but some others aren �t, so the only thing you can do is ask them to turn them off, and pray for them to do it!  This is a problem teachers have to face every day, and sometimes if you �re too strict you start having problems with the parents, who can even sue you if they feel you �re harassing their children.  Most of the times nothing happens, but it �s not very comfortable to keep on teaching a student whose parents have legal issues against you, is it?  We never give up, though.  In my case, I �m one of those teachers who believe in limits, and in the end the students appreciate that, but in the meantime... I work much harder than the ones who have decided to take the easiest way and of course I �m not the most popular teacher in the school!! 

It �d be great to have loudspeakers in the classrooms, but in most state schools in Argentina we have to consider ourselves happy if we have a blackboard and a desk for the teacher (sometimes I have to use a student �s desk and bring my own piece of chalk to the classroom)!!!

If I were you, Nabila, I would say "Please set your mobile on silent mode"

Hugs from Buenos Aires

Carina

6 Aug 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

Mobile phones are a problem when teaching adults as they think it is their right to choose whether or not they answer the phone.

We have a rule that phones must be turned off. This is expected in any public place such as cinemas, concerts, presentations so it is not really too much to ask.

I am lucky because I can appeal to their common sense which works for a while...then we start all over again.

The expression used here is "please set your mobile to silent" even though it is grammatically not correct.
It is similar to MacDonalds using "I �m lovin" it"...no continuous for "to love".

Just a thought....one of my colleagues collects all mobile phones and puts them into a basket until after class...works for her.......I wouldn �t do it myself.
Cheers, Joy

6 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >