Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Dumb question, but I had to ask    

Dumb question, but I had to ask

Emy Lee
Canada

Dumb question, but I had to ask

Hi guys,

My question may seem silly to some of you, but I am just curious.

Anyone who took a look at my contributions (sorry, no advertising here, really ^_^ � �) might have noticed that they are mostly in gray scale. The reason is that I only have acces to an black and white printer.

I am lucky enough to have a printer at home, but here in Mexico, an ink toner can be quite expensive. Just to give you an idea, a color toner costs 450 pesos, which represents about one tenth of my monthly salary. You can understand why it is not something I can afford on a regular basis. I have the opportunity to print color documents in an Internet cafe. Though, I can be charged up to 8 pesos for a single sheet. If I need to print a color document that has several pages to a great number of students, I just end up printing it in black and why because I just can �t cover the cost. And I find it extremely frustrating, considering the amazing contributions that I find on this site.

The school I work for has a laser black and white printer available for us teachers, but it �s out of order most of the time.

So, here is my question: you guys who create these wonderful and COLORFUL worksheets, how to you manage to print your material to all of your students? Do you have access to a color printer at school? Do you cover all the expenses yourselves?

I would like to hear about your experiences - or suggestions ^_^ Thanks a lot to everyone!!

17 Aug 2009      

RRocha
Brazil

hi there!
most of the time I use black and white material, and I have absolutely no problem with it... My school does have a printer, but we can only print black and white. And as I xerox most of the sheets I use, it �s pretty much all "colorless", but none of my students have complained so far.

17 Aug 2009     

ClaudiaCP
Peru

Hello!!!

You are right... there are some great contributions here! What I do is I print a color copy as my main one and then I make black and white copies for my students. If by any chance they can �t see the details in the b&w one I show them my colored copy (because I can �t afford colored copies for everyone either!... who can anyways?)
Have a nice day!

17 Aug 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I know what you mean about the cost of colourful sheets, they are quite expensive in Mexico...

But I always photocopy the worksheets in black and white, never in color... and there is not problem about it with my students, sometimes when it is necessary to show the worksheet in color I use the projector for the whole class...

Or when I need to print in color (like the certificates) I do it with an ink toner that I can fill with ink several times... in that way a bottle of color is around 100 pesos and a black ink bottle is about 70 pesos and you can fill your toner lots of times...

17 Aug 2009     

ranclaude
Australia

Hi Emy Lee,

I understand where you �re coming from, colour printing can become really expensive! I generally photocopy my worksheets in black & white because we all know the cost of colour printing and copying. However, I do use the colour worksheets on a data projector when I am explaining the worksheet. This is when students can see the colour version of the worksheet and it doen �t cost me a thing!

Cheers,
ranclaude

17 Aug 2009     

me_fig
Canada

ranclaude that �s a brilliant idea.  Showing the colour copy on the projector.

I used to only look for black and white printables when I was teaching.  Now I am more invested in this site and I love the colourful stuff.  There is no way I am making copies in colour though.

I do print things like cards though, in single sets, and laminate them.  They are amazing reusable resources.

17 Aug 2009     

Emy Lee
Canada

Thanks for sharing guys!!

I like the idea about the data projector, I �ll see if we have one available. Thanks ranclaude!!

JulietaVL, where do you purchase those bottles of ink? I �ll try to look for them.

17 Aug 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I do not know in which city you live in, but in most of the cities you can ask for "cartuchos rellenables" and "tinta para rellenar cartuchos" of course in the stores where you can buy stuff for your computer. HEre in Zacatecas I can easily find them everywhere

17 Aug 2009     

Anutka
Russian Federation

Thanks for good idea to use a projector,no use printing vocabulary sheets for everyone/ Still I have a colourful printer at home/ inks don �t cost much. 3,5 dollars for black and the same price for colourful

17 Aug 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I have 54 ss this semester and I print friendly (economic) colorful copies for all of them. I usually spend 1 b&w and one color bottle in 50, 60 days. My ss love the colorful wss and even the adults prefer to work with them. I cover the expenses myself but I think it �s rewarding, the ss work better with them.

17 Aug 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

As I have a private school, I have the choice of B&W or colour, and I really choose depending on the student.  For groups B&W always. 

Great idea of overhead projector.  I should be able to pick up one fairly cheaply.  Thanks.

Hugfrom Israel.

Judy

17 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >