Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Desperate Portuguese Teachers!!!!!    

Desperate Portuguese Teachers!!!!!

monicaviseu
Portugal

Desperate Portuguese Teachers!!!!!

Hi everybody!

I hope you are enjoying your holidays....
Most Portuguese teachers are not really enjoying their holidays because at this moment (17th August ) we still don �t know where we are going to teach in September.
This happens every three or four years; we apply for many schools and have to wait until the end of August to know where we are going to teach and what grades we are going to teach. It is awful and we ( I do ) spend most of our Holidays feeling anxious to know what our life is going to be like in September.  Some teachers (many) have to find a new place to live, a kindergarden or school for their kids and have to "reorganise" their whole lives in two or three days.
I think this is unnacceptable but unfortunatley it has been this way for years and years ( I have been teaching for 12 years now)....

What is it like in your countries? When are you placed in a new school? How does it all work out for you?

BYE and keep on having nice holidays

M�nica

17 Aug 2009      

Anutka
Russian Federation

Sorry to hear that. Herу in russia teachers work at school for many years. nobody makes you go away. no need to look for job. only teachers in small villages are suffring. small schools are closed now, because of little number of pupils. 

17 Aug 2009     

patty39
Brazil

Hello, Monica!

Here, in Brazil, the teachers don �t need to apply every year for jobs unless they are unemployed. They teach at public or private schools where they get their jobs until they are fired or quit. If they teach at a public school, they may be transfered, but if they teach at private schools, they �ll only be transfered if this school has branches. Otherwise, they �ll teach there for how long they want to. In my case (I �m an English Instructor), I work at Language Schools, where can be a little different.

Good luck there!

Patricia

17 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Dear Monica, I know the feeling. It �s been long time now since I�ve gained professional stability (1982), but still remeber those times of anxiety. I used to spend some time in August in the Algarve and I kept running from school to school, just to check on the news. If I can help you in any way, mail me. I don �t know if Viseu is your surname or some geographical cue, I �ll be visiting family this week, we could meet, since one of cousins is S. Pedro do Sul �s city Mayor.  If I can be of some assistance, please, don �t hesitate.

17 Aug 2009     

Carla74
Portugal

Dear M�nica:

I have been a teacher for 15 years now, but the last 12 were spent in a private school so I feel I am "dead" for official schools now!!

I am not in that private school anymore, now I only teach primary schools in the AEC �s, but I do spend my Summer suffering and praying because our boss the "Camara Municipal", doesn �t give us the answer right away. We apply for the jobs, we go through the compulsory interview but we don �t know what is going to happen yet. So I do understand your anxiety and that �s why I am keeping my fingers crossed for you (for me, for all of us)!!

And if Viseu isn �t your surname, so we are neighbours. I was born and raised here in this beautiful town!! Thumbs Up
Hope we can go out for a coffee one of these days and Idalina, you are also welcome Smile

Happy and positive thoughts for all (of us)...

17 Aug 2009     

monicaviseu
Portugal

Hi Carla and Idalina!!!!

I �m from Viseu but I have lived (used to live) in Idanha-a-Nova for the last three years. I am a QZP in Castelo Branco (now I �m a DACL since QZPs do no longer exist).
It would be nice to get together for a coffee but at the moment I �m on holidays in S. Jo�o da Pesqueira.
Maybe we can get together one of these days...

Carla!

I think I recognise you... We were in the same class in the 12th grade and in Coimbra too... Maybe you still remember me????

Hugs and Kisses and Good Luck for you (and for me...)

M�nica

17 Aug 2009     

Carla74
Portugal

Hmmmmm!! I think I do!
Sent you a pm to be sure ;)

17 Aug 2009     

Little Cida
Brazil

Although most of  Brazilian teachers are not  suffering unemployment we have other similar problems. We don �t know for many times what we are teaching for or whom. Low salaries, violence, lack of material or motivations have been killing our desire of teaching.

I had already worked with many people without stability in their jobs. It �s not a good idea. If we didn �t take care we couldn �t live together. No friendship by that time. Nowadays most of us start the year in a school and can go on for a long time. On the other hand we still depend on our representatives be a little more responsible not saying us "Nobody �s home" when we fight for our rights.

All of us are conscious that demotivated and worry teachers can �t be ready to take care of children �s education.

I hope things can be better in your country or, at least, for you. Competitivity. Man goes on being his own wolf.

Take care.

17 Aug 2009     

Sara Almeida
Portugal

Hi ladies!
Iam QZP 15 (Pen�nsula de Set�bal) for 4 years. Iam teaching for 8 years... 
I know what you are feeling... Iam feeling the same...
It looks like we are playing Euromilh�es...
Good luck to all of you (and for me too!!!!)
Clap
Iam from Sesimbra - a nice place for coffees too Wink

17 Aug 2009     

pirchy
Israel

Hi,
In Israel we stay at the same school for many years unless the teacher wants to switch school for personal reasons. I have been a teacher for 21 years and I have taught in two schools only because I moved to different cities. Well, except for the low salary, I guess I have nothing else to complain!
Hugs from hot and sunny Israel! Hug

17 Aug 2009     

giovannademartin
Brazil

Same as Pirchy (including the low salary LOL)
kisses and good luck.

17 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >