Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Stubborn student    

Stubborn student

JudyHalevi
Israel

1.  there is definitely such a thing as a learning disability.  I know, because, my daughter is dyslexic and disgraphic.  (She has a full matric with an 89% average).

2.  I always get the parents involved.  If their attitude is, "my darling boy, poor thing" then you have your work cut out for you.  I had one student, that I told him mother that he didn �t want to learn, and she disciplined him by not letting him ride his horse until he did the work he was assigned.  After every lesson she called me and asked me how it was going and if he did the assignment well.  If not, no riding.

3.  Try to keep his learning to his level, nothing loses a student faster than work he doesn �t understand.

4.  Good Luck Cliparts and Graphics  good luck.  Hugfrom Israel.

It is very frustrating.

Judy

21 Aug 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi,

I think you should talk about this with his other teachers. They may give you  useful info and in the case he has some kind of learning disability, the ideal thing is to adapt the lessons  so that he can manage the subject and feel  he can do it, he can improve.
It would demand some extra time to prepare the special work for him, but it would  be worthwhile doing.

What it is important is not to make differences. They are usually aware of their limitations and do not need pity but encouragement. Giving him some different activity to complement that of the rest of the group may work, too.

I have noticed that that awareness and frustration cause anger and the feeling is terribly painful for them so they act and react aggressively.

I just give my opinion based on personal experience with this kind of students.

21 Aug 2009     

ameliarator
United States

While I realize that this is a very frustrating situation, I have to say that your attitude of "learning disabilities don �t exist" is quite limiting and probably not constructive. �

As a child I was diagnosed with a learning disability after struggling to the point of tears with simple reading and math problems. �(Of course the fact that I am now a teacher attests to my having overcome these issues.)

Certainly, there are some kids who seem lazy or have had attitudes, but these are other issues and do not negate the existence of learning disabilities.

Ultimately what worked for me was having patient teachers who could tell the difference between not understanding and not trying, and who worked with me to set clear goals, then recognized my efforts when the goals were met. �

Also, I have found that giving the student a chance to be successful at something (a project or a game that is not effected by the learning disability) can work wonders.

21 Aug 2009     

zambia09
Czech Republic

I can �t agree with your attitude "there are not learning difficulties" either. I each children with dyslexia and dysgraphia and trust me - these really are learning difficulties. Of course, there are lazy children among them but it �s up to me to find the way how to cope with it.
First od all you should talk to other teachers and maybe his parents too. And he should be examined by psychologist specialized for this problem.
You shouldn �t have made any prejudications - maybe he �s not stubborn, he might be very unhappy �s he �s not able to manage.
And if he really is a student with learning difficulties you should think if it is appropriately to give him loads of writing.  Maybe you should direct him to more speaking instead.

Good luck.

21 Aug 2009     

pepelie
United Kingdom

I �m so not happy with Cauffeypot �s statement that �s there �s no such thing as learning difficulties. I myself have a sister who has learning difficulties and had to go to a "special school" to learn.  She definitely was NOT lazy. She tried hard but what she was taught just didn �t go in.  And yes sometimes she was difficult because of this.

I �m surprised your school doesn �t have an SEN (special educational needs) department to help out with children like this.

With an attitude like yours should you really be teaching?????????

21 Aug 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I am not sure that this poster is for real... only because of a previous thread they have posted that was incredibly inflammatory and was meant to get people all riled up....And so again here we have a new thread with statements again that are quite inappropriate almost outrageous and I don �t think I have ever met a teacher that would say such a thing.. "no such thing as learning disabilities"? It is this statement alone that makes me question whether this person is actually a teacher. Anyone who has been in a classroom and has worked with a wide range of abilities and levels KNOWS that many children need adapted and modified work or extra help/activities to help them achieve. If this person is a teacher then I feel incredibly sorry for their very unprofessional and poor attitude towards a student that needs extra help and motivation.Every internet forum has "trolls" and I suspect that we have one here.

21 Aug 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

I agree with Cheezels

21 Aug 2009     

mariamit
Greece

OK everyone. Cheezels is right. This member has posted other inflammatory remarks in the past just to stir up or even to provoke comments. Dear cauffeypot, I do sincerely hope this is another one of your posts meant to induce us to answer. If this is not the case, well allow me to say  you are in the wrong profession. It is derogatory to even suggest that there is no such thing as learning disorders. What about dyslexia and ADHD (Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder ADHD). Having many Albanian friends here in Greece, I know that not all schools in your country have special educational needs departments or a psychological department but you have other colleagues that can help. Now if on the other hand you posted this just to rock the boat again- give it up. Most of us have better things to do than reply to pranksters.

Maria

21 Aug 2009     

Portugal

I �m afraid member can �t respond: he �s been provided with extensive reading, so he �s still working on it, which could take some time. If he comes back for more, we will care enough to provide more reading, won�t we, dear members? Experts can be of much assistance here. I suggest we provide some scaffolding.

21 Aug 2009     

cauffeypot
Albania

tHERE is no such thing as ADHD. Dyslexia, yes, cause that �s a diagnosable issue, but ADHD is just something someone made up because they couldn �t control their kids.

21 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >