Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > So I have this advanced class right.......    

So I have this advanced class right.......

N.F.T
South Africa

So I have this advanced class right.......

Hi all,

As you know by now (for this is my umpteenth posting requesting advice and help) I �m a brand new teacher and I �ve got a very advanced class.

Here lie the problem:  THESE GUYS KNOW EVERY RULE ABOUT GRAMMAR!  They �ve been through ALL levels, graduated from one to the next, and KNOW THEIR STUFF.

Today was a �magic moment � day - I was gearing up to do my first (rather nerve-wracking) lesson in RELATIVE CLAUSES and THEY KNEW EVERYTHING!

Thank Goodness I was prepared for a complete change in lesson plan. 

The advice I �m looking for is this:  Is it ok to TOTALLY focus my lessons on SPEAKING (predominantly) and LISTENING/READING/WRITING? 

One of my korean students came up to me at break and requested we have a debate when we go back into the class - she felt we were doing too much writing and studying of english and, by her own admition: "can do that on my own with my grammar book � - I of course am VERY OPEN to the idea - no one REALLY wants to teach/learn grammar, lets be honest.

I went back into class and had a short chat with the students about this - they agreed that grammar was not where they wanted to focus, but rather on speaking and listening - reading/writing sometimes, but not as important at SPEAKING.

Is this ok?  Am I being a push-over in allowing my students to choose the lesson structure and focus?  I �m all for autonomised learning (wish I had more control when I was at school) but is there �too much of a good thing? � 

Again, these guys �n girls know and seem to have a good handle (possibly better than myself) and are ADVANCED - some doing the TOEFL next month.  I feel OK, but I also don �t feel like I �m imparting any knowledge as a teacher would.

Thanks in advance for your advice and thank you in general for your on going support,

Regards from Sunny RSA:) (any South African teachers in other countries out there? would love to hear from you!)

AND THANKS TO THE TEACHER WHO POINTED OUT THE ERROR IN THIS AD!  APPRECIATED!

24 Aug 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

Hiya Matthew,
i think you should go along with the SS � needs. It is very good that they were open about it and told you what they were really in need of. You already said they knew all about the rules and grammar and that they now only wanted to put it into practice while speaking. I see nothing wrong with that. There are a LOT of resources for advanced learners by any publisher of ESL material, there are good ideas from some of the members working with advanced students (I think HelenMcK has good conversation ws), you just have to do a little bit of research.
 I personally would work on enriching their vocabulary and make the most of their imagination, i.e. do re-enactments. They can do some writing along with it, too. I would go along with the debate that they suggested!

24 Aug 2009     

N.F.T
South Africa

thanks Ivona:):)

24 Aug 2009     

Jayho
Australia

I sometimes have the same - students are often very good at grammar but just can �t apply these rules to to the spoken language.  Given that conversational language is quite different to formal written language this then becomes an issue when they have to verbally communicate in English.

You may need to meet your employer �s requirements, if they have any, while also  meeting the students � needs - a bit tricky if they haven �t given you a syllabus as a guide and just thrown you in at the deep end.

There are excellent role play activities on this site where you use the cards to reinforce grammar points - revise the theory using the board then use the cards to practice it conversationally.  When you search select �activity cards �

There are also role plays to practice language functions which they will probably find useful and fun.

Try these links for other great ideas:

I start teaching debating this week and I use this link as a guide.  http://iteslj.org/Techniques/Krieger-Debate.html .  Last term the debating component was extremely successful and popular.

Last week I did an intro to debating using this:  http://esl.about.com/od/conversationlessonplans/a/debate3.htm.  Your group will probably enjoy this - it �s on the usefulness of grammar!

Cheers

Jayho

24 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I agree with Ivona and Jayho. I worked with CAE and CPE students, and what you need to do now is put their language to good use - have them working with difficult texts (medicine, court, newspaper articles - all unabridged...), have them debate and write a lot. Apart from ESL materials for advanced sts, I also recommend materials from these links...

Anita

24 Aug 2009     

N.F.T
South Africa

THANK YOU ALL:) You �ve really clarified things for me:)

LOOK OUT FOR MY NEW "DEBATING WORKSHEET" on the DEATH PENALTY - with related articles (for reading) and a WRITING section:)  Wouldn �t have been able to make it without all your help:)

Thanks guys!

Matt

24 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Enjoy it - not many teachers are blessed with having such an advanced group of sts who are still into learning more - it �s a fantastic challenge for you! As soon as you find the method that suits both you and them, you �ll be on a roll!
(Btw, a colleague of mine who substituted me in an advanced group like that last year had a fantastic lesson with them using the documentary Super Size Me - he said they had a fantastic debate on overeaters, bulimia, anorexia and stress, and I could hear their content murmur when they were leaving his classroom. Perhaps you could find an angle with this too.)
Good luck and really enjoy it!
Anita

24 Aug 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Advanced adult students are a blessing ... and are quite assertive in what they want.  If you give them what they want, while meeting your employers requirements (usually $$$s!) you will gain immense job satisfaction and they will say you are the best teacher they ever had!  I LOOOOVE working with these students.

BTW, if you are ever stuck for a filler just grab some articles from the newspaper and give them one each to read.  Then, in a party-type situation they mingle and talk about what�s in the news, using the range of language functions.  Watch their confidence grow as they circulate around the room.  I have a �party� every week where we do this - they mingle and talk about the weather then the news (just like in real life).  It�s great for improving their general knowledge as well as conversational ability and thankfully requires very little preparation or cost.

Enjoy!

24 Aug 2009     

N.F.T
South Africa

Awesome idea!!!  I �ll give that a bash!  I managed to organise an outing for my students for this week - to the OPERA no-less;)  We �re seeing a shortened version of the OPERA "Love Potion" - we �re lucky here in RSA to have theatres that organise special �condensed � versions of opera �s for school students to attend during the day. 

Thinking of having them write a short review on the experience of going to the opera and NOT the opera itself (which, of course, will all be in Italian).

Thanks again for all your encouragement and suggestions!!  I must say this is THE MOST SUPPORTIVE network of people I have encountered!  GO TEACHERS!!!!:)

M

24 Aug 2009     

Jayho
Australia

I think that �s awesome!  Once they have done their short review you could build on that by getting them to prepare a three minute talk on their experience and tie it in with peer feedback.  They could pretend that they are going to advertise the opera on the local radio or at a local school and they they only have there minutes to talk.  There are endless opportunities to tie written tasks into spoken ones.

Good luck and enjoy!!

24 Aug 2009     

N.F.T
South Africa

Ooo...great idea!!! Definately going to use that one! 

did a great activity with my SS today actually - we debated: TRADITION IS THE ENEMY OF PROGRESS.  Really interesting cause I �ve got a lady from a very intense moslem culture in the centre of Africa - a VERY LIBERATED young guy from the Dem.Rep.Congo as well as 2 very VERY bright students from Korea and Russia - all with different ideas of Tradition, and it �s role in society, as well as the need for human progress.  Strangely the discussion kept heading back to woman �s role in society and then abortion was debated for a long time (which stemmed from the laws in Korea on pre-natal sex determination and abortion).  Very interesting with a guy who lived in Congo and saw/knows about MANY woman who were raped due to horrific civil war crimes and a girl whose nation values males over females and has now imposed STRICT laws to prohibit couples from determining the sex of the foetus and aborting.  (the law apparently says that you can only determine the sex once the foetus is too developed to abort)  SO INTERESTING!  Also with the Russian lad who describe the alarming rate of teenage pregnancies in Russia. 

So what started out as a discussion/debate on TRADITION ended up being a completely different discussion but still related to the topic in a way because their ideas/beliefs stem from their Traditional values to some degree.

24 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >