Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teacher???    

Teacher???

Kriszta2009
Hungary

Teacher???

Dear Colleagues,

I have been on maternity leave for 5 years and I am going to teach again in September.

What do your students call you? /Teacher, Teacher Kate, Missis XY,etc.?/

The students report the following sentences at the beginning of my colleagues � lesson:

Teacher, I report you that the number of the group is 20. Nobody is absent today.

Is that all right?

How do you start the lessons?

Thanks in advance,

Kriszta

29 Aug 2009      

Sara Almeida
Portugal

Hi Kriszta2009
WELCOME BACK
My students call me "teacher" or "teacher Sara"... Approve

29 Aug 2009     

Carla74
Portugal

Hi, Kriszta and Sara:

My sudents call me "Miss" , "Miss Carla".

I always called my own teachers TEACHER but then I was taught that this word is only related to the job, the occupation itself. And if we watch American or English movies, students never call their teachers TEACHER. I �m thinking about "Harry Potter" or "Dangerous Minds"

But let �s wait for a native opinion.

Kisses

29 Aug 2009     

sirah
Argentina

Hi girls! my students call me teacher .
hugs
Patricia

29 Aug 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

My student call me teacher.

29 Aug 2009     

robertb
Australia

They call you "teacher" because you haven �t mentioned what you should address you, dear! "Teacher" is a job, and you students must address you with your title. They can say" Madame", "Sir", ... but Miss, Mrs (or Ms) and Mr .... make your relationship closer.

Best regards,
Robert

29 Aug 2009     

Mouna mch
Algeria

hi

my learners call me Miss or Miss Mouna..

and I agree with Carla that the word teacher is related to the job only..

anyway welcome back..

29 Aug 2009     

jamiejules
France

my students call "Miss ..." or just "Miss" except for the very young ones (4 / 5 year old kids) they call me by my first name.
At the beginning of the lesson it is better I find to have a set amount of rituals : ask the students to tell you if someone isn �t here/ ask them what the weather is like / how they are / if they remember the last word you said last lesson.... (for the last one in order to get my students calm when the bell has rung I say a list of words in a specific order or a sentence that no one writes but they have to try and remember as much as possible for the next time!) here are a few examples but I �m sure you �ll be ok!

29 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I disagree. Teacher is a title in many places. It �s just like Doctor or Professor.  I am called Teacher David in some schools here and in Korea  I was David Teacher. Sunsaeng is the Korean word for teacher.  I was often called David Sunsaengnim. (nim being a respectable phrase much like san in Japanese)  I generally write the date on the board just to make sure it is legible and to save time.  The kids learn to write the date in their kindergartens and since each school and teacher has a different system, I just write the numbers to repesent the date.  Today is the 29th of August, 2009 so I write 29/8/09(2009).  My classes are so small that I don �t need a head count. lol 

29 Aug 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

I like my stds to call me Veronica or Vero.
Hate "teacher" or "miss"...LOATHE IT
I also call them by their names it is a way of recognizing their individuality, I think

29 Aug 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I call my students by their first names and they call me by my first name.

I would imagine it may be different in each culture.  Spagman is correct in saying that teacher is a title in some cultures.

29 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >