Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Pictionaries - for what age group?    

Pictionaries - for what age group?

elderberrywine
Germany

Pictionaries - for what age group?

Hello my dear colleagues,

many of you make colourful pictionaries and worksheets linked to them, and the numbers of downloads show that many of you are crazy about them.

But I have a fundamental question about them or rather a dilemma because of which I haven �t downloaded a single pictionary so far.
The dilemma is this:
at an age when my students appreciate little colourful pictures and like matching words and pictures etc., they NEVER learn the entire vocabulary of one topic. Never 49 different vegetables, never 38 different sports or 44 different items of clothing - they only learn about a dozen at a time, then some more another time etc. So I can �t use the pictionaries I find here.

When they reach the age at which I can make them learn the whole lot, because their vocabulary has become so large, they �ll laugh at me and think I �m making fun of them if I give them worksheets with little colourful pictures or even worksheets with lots of pictures in black and white. So again, I can �t use the pictionaries I find here

Why does everybody download them? Is there something to them that I haven �t understood yet? Please tell me how do you deal with pictionaries.
Dorothea

7 Sep 2009      

GIOVANNI
Canada

Hi Dorothea:

Silke is correct in what she says.

I teach adults with pictionary worksheets and they enjoy the pictures, and don �t make fun of them at all.   Some students are visual and it helps them more.   I find that pictures encourage the  students to share their experiences and backgrounds as they relate the vocabulary to their own lives. 

For  example if , we are learning vocabulary on food it gives the students an opportunity to discuss their preferences and if they can �t recall the word the picture with the word  is right there to help them.

This works for me.

7 Sep 2009     

Malvine
Latvia

I completely agree with Giovanni and ladybird. Adults ALSO like (colourful) pictures, even if they are very serious people studying serious themes. I have a group of doctors who enjoyed a B&W pictionary "Health problems" (taken from this site) much more than all the word vocabularies taken together. Actually, I myself have taken to pictionaries! Big smile

7 Sep 2009     

puddyd
Oman

Most second language learners are visual learners and so by them seeing the pic it helps them to remember the name of the item.Some of us also teach ESP which involves a huge amount of vocab and so they are also useful when teaching the vocab again.
�A picture paints a thousand words �
;o)

7 Sep 2009     

ants
Switzerland

Hi Dorothea,

I use these Pictionaries with kids, teens and adults!! I find it helps give them more confidence....they feel secure with it beside them...and when they �re ready and think they know their words, they turn over the page and write the words or use the words in sentences. I agree with Giovanni and Silke and Malvine....a lot of people are visual and these are wonderful for them. I thought my teens wouldn �t like them....but they �re fine with them.Hug
You can also use them to prompt speaking....they �re very useful...so go ahead and try one of these pictionaries and you might be pleasantly surprised!!!Thumbs Up
Hugs,
Fiona.

7 Sep 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi
One of the reason I use pictionaries is that my students, who are elementary students, are really bad at using a regular dictionary. They don �t understand they have to look at the context and the category (verb, adjective) of the word.
I do teach them how to use a "real" dictionary but my pictionaries have been more useful to them than a real one.

7 Sep 2009     

vickyvar
Greece

Hello!
I agree with everyone  who has spoken before me.

Pictionairies are great in the sense that even if students do not have to learn all the words at once, they can use them as references whenever they need to find a word. And if they are neatly kept in a folder, it is much easier, too.

7 Sep 2009     

douglas
United States

Dorothea,

I use them with my students (I only teach adults, about 85% of which are males) all the time and they like them.  Once in a while I might change pictures on a worksheet that are a little too juvenile or "cutesie" (the guys would probably say something about hello kitty).  Otherwise they are well accepted--besides they use more "Eingangskanalen".

Douglas

7 Sep 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I use pictionaries with all ages and most of them LOVE it.  I have them tell whole stories around one picture.  Example:  Two Strawberries - Royalty Free Clipart Picture (This is from one of my students.  Age 42) I am walking in the trees (forest) and I heared a little sound.  I look down and see a strawberry sit alone.  "Please, take me.  I am all alone."  He sayed me. 

Beginners English.

My experience is, if you make them feel it is beneath them, then that is what they will feel.  If you enjoy it with them, they will enjoy it.

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

7 Sep 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I use pictionaries with all ages and most of them LOVE it.  I have them tell whole stories around one picture.  Example:  Two Strawberries - Royalty Free Clipart Picture (This is from one of my students.  Age 42) I am walking in the trees (forest) and I heared a little sound.  I look down and see a strawberry sit alone.  "Please, take me.  I am all alone."  He sayed me. 

Beginners English.

My experience is, if you make them feel it is beneath them, then that is what they will feel.  If you enjoy it with them, they will enjoy it.

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

7 Sep 2009     

douglas
United States

Judy said:

"My experience is, if you make them feel it is beneath them, then that is what they will feel.  If you enjoy it with them, they will enjoy it."

What a great line, I couldn �t agree with you more.  Learning is allowed to be FUN!

7 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >