Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What do i tell my students ... ? What?    

What do i tell my students ... ? What?

Samantha.esl
Italy

I think Ivona has a point! And only she could have made a post get so many answers, so I guess this is because people know you Ivona, know your work and your awesome approach to teaching.

I agree with you very much because, even though, greetings should not be bad after all, the point here is that one often misses nice, important, interesting posts on grammar or ideas to teach a topic (although I haven �t seen much), because there are huge salutations and greetings with huge pictures every day taking most of the board. And sometimes the same greeting re- posted again by other member.
Sounds and looks like to me that no-one listens nor sees and not even read to see if the same topic has just been posted again..-- everyone does whatever they like no matter what the rules are and the rest.

That �s what I think!

21 Sep 2009     

victor
Spain

Hi Goodnesses,

As I said, I would like that everybody used the cafe for that kind of posts.
What I say with my message is that we should not start a fight for this. People who send greetings are not trying to harm anybody, they are trying to make someone happy. We will have to explain them that, despite their good intentions, it can be a problem. But there is no need to fight.
I know that this website would need more moderation activity from my part, but I �m only human.

21 Sep 2009     

douglas
United States

Ivona

I think you �re leaving just because I won �t cut my hair Smile.

Would really hate to see you go.  I still remember when we would get bored and play word games using the forum (there was no problem with space back then).

As for your students, I �d tell them that they are above the others when they can set their own standards and hold themselves to these higher standards regardless of what others say or think.  It helps them to learn to live for themselves, not for everybody else (self discipline).

If you really are elaving, have a wonderful life, you have definately touched mine--THANKS.

Douglas

21 Sep 2009     

Andr�iaPinsan
Brazil

I �m new here. Everything is still too new to me.
I don �t know much about the rules yet, but some of them I already know.
But I �m still a human being, which gives me the right to make mistakes and learn from them.
And I �m grateful for that, �cause then I �m sure I �m alive.

But, please, let �s not take it any longer... I don �t know the people who want to leave.. I guess they �re really special people, otherwise, there wouldn �t be so many people talking about it so far.

Still then, I think if they wanna go, let them go and period.

We are free to come and go whenever we want. And if we break the rules, we recieve advices as happened to me when I sent a printable that I use with my 3 and 4 years old Brazilian students that don �t know how to read and write in Portuguese yet, then, in order to avoid mixing their ideas up, we don �t use written English yet...we just do the oral part. That �s why my printable had only PICTURES and NUMBERS. Because, after listening to my instructions they were supposed to color with the right color, and match the pictures with the right numbers.
Even so, my printable was considered only CLIPART. But okay, I don �t think it is, but I know how to respect other �s opinions.

So please, let �s end it and learn a little bit more about tolerance and how to deal with different oppinions.
Rules are IMPORTANT, period. But still we are human beings, not machines... We should give the example (but we can �t be perfect - never - no one is...)

Maybe your correction today will be your mistake tomorrow... we live in a world that is in constantly movement... it means that things and thoughts change all the time... even the rules have their exceptions.

Let �s take it easy dear colleagues.

My best regards from Brasil

Andr�ia Pinsan

21 Sep 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Hi there!

I am one of the members of the Cafe Gang (as Ivona calls us)...

I think all this is a real pitty, I am so sure this is personal Ivona since you only mention a few ones of the cafe gang and not all of them, maybe becasue you have a good relation with them and also �cause you call some members "the worst of all"

You have not only complained in the forum about us but in the cafe too...  do you remember your "games" (who only you and your friends consider funny) in the cafe? do you remember how bad you behave when you are there.

Maybe most ot the members have not seen that becasue a very few people go to the cafe. But you know and the cafe gang know what I am telling is the truth.

You have gone to the cafe several times to create conflicts,I mean... you complain about us in the cafe!!!!! you say there are too many pics and you say we feel the owners of the cafe and you�ve never realized that everytime a new member goes to the cafe we add him/her as our new friend, we even added you and Caroline in the maybe silly list of cafe friends and you rejected belonging there, remember????

your friends say you are funny, you are creative, you are AMAZINNNNNGGGGGGG and I have no doubt about it but you SHOULD understand not all of the people think as you do and we deserve your respect for that.

For me,  in my opinion you want to have the control of our acts and that... Ivona, is IMPOSSIBLE, we are not kids, you are right, and if we act as if we were kids it is not upto you and is none of your bussiness.

You�ve forgotten that you ask people to stop posting pics in the forum in the wrong way, you and some of your friends think you do it in an ORIGINAL and funny way, but has yur original way  been effective? you are kind of rude sometimes, I have saved in my computer some of yours posts just in case I need to clarify something...

My opinion is: If you wanted us to change our attitude, you should start changing yours  becasue you are the one who is complaining, not us!.... you should have found the way of making us reflecto r agree with you, the way you did it was totally WRONGGG!!

How many "battles" have we had?

And none of my gang attacked you first

You are not a kind person when asking for it, you act in a way that most of the cafe gang do not understand... politeness is the key, you may tell us that we have acted impolite sometimes towards you (especially me) and yes, you are right, but it was not me who started to be impolite.

You are not the owner of the site neither the police officer of the same.

So... that is all I have to say, I am terribly sorry becasue of the situation, I am sorry more for Caroline, I know she is super nice and we have a nice relationship and hope you change your mind and stay with us.

I like all of your stuff Ivona excpet this attitude you have had with us for a long time...

Hope you both are fine, cheers!

P.S As Victor just stated... starting battles was NOTTTT the way of stating your complain... I will stop wishing happy birthday in the forum BUT I do not want anyone go to the cafe and tell me if I should like or not like dogs and cats or tell me how many pics a day I can post...

See you!

21 Sep 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

@Victor

I am afraid that some people will say I am just seeking argument.

But, anyway, I think noone has ever been against greetings of any sort. That would be really silly. The real point about which many were complaining/disagreeing since weeks is that flood of pictures and images on the forum. Hence my question to you. No one as far as I know was or is against those pictures and images in the Caf� as well. It was created for this purpose though I share Ivona �s POV regarding the exaggerated number and size of the pictures, there, just to say "Happy Birthday" which may be "more" sincere than huge pictures for me at least.

21 Sep 2009     

gilorit
Israel

Ivona my dear,

I don �t want you to leave !! I really love the free spirit and inspiration you spread around, eventhough it is sometimes too bold. You are a star in my English classes - I �ve sent the video of "Let �s Twist again" to my students and they loved it,you.
Like you I am the mom of my 8th graders. Teaching them values is the most important thing for me,(...even more than teaching them English...) I try to set a good example to them and I am thrilled when I meet my former students (who are now 20 years old and much more) and they remember the morals and virtues I teach.
But,  on the other hand- I am a happy person, I love people alot and I love making them happy, so maybe I have a split personality but I just LOVE all the greetings and celebrations in the site. This is what make us a close community, a family. Above all- we are people. We want to share feelings and we want to know each other and to make each other happy.
Please don �t leace.
This song is for you:

If you go away, on this summers day
Then you might as well take the sun away
All the birds that flew in the summer sky
When our love was new and our hearts were high
When the day was young and the night was long
And the moon stood still for the night birds � song
If you go away, if you go away, if you go away
But if you stay, I �ll make you a day
Like no day has been or will be again
We �ll sail the sun, we �ll ride on the rain
We �ll talk to the trees and worship the wind
Then if you go, I �ll understand
Leave me just enough love to hold in my hand
If you go away, if you go away, if you go away

Hugs (without"stupid" cliparts - which I adore...)

Orit

21 Sep 2009     

ants
Switzerland

Hi Ivona,

I agree with Victor and Orit....we should be able to work out our problems together....so I hope that you �ll stay and also Caroline too!!Hug
It would be such a shame to have you both leave this wonderful site....and we would  miss you both!!
I really do value your words of wisdom when it comes to teaching kids and teens!!Smile

I know it must annoying with the birthday celebrations but if it �s only that....surely life �s too short and as Victor mentioned....people will eventually realize that they should go over to the caf� to celebrate birthdays and to post other pictures about holidays, etc.Thumbs Up
Hope you change your mind and stay!!
Hugs,
Fiona.

21 Sep 2009     

eng789
Israel

There are so many bad things happening in the world - we should be happy that we are here and have become a family with members that care enough to say "happy birthday" and make someones day.  I get PMs all the time thanking me for a greeting or for responding to their post.

21 Sep 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

No one person can moderate a website like this - and I �m not even talking about the reported worksheets.
Can �t you find people in your country to whom you give administrator �s rights and who moderate with you? Maybe someone for technical things, one for reported worksheets, one for rules in the forum ... ??

21 Sep 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >