Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Tense problem    

Tense problem

ivush
Czech Republic

Tense problem

Hello colleagues,

which sentence is correct:

Tom burnt his hand when he was cooking the dinner.

or

Tom has burnt his hand when he was cooking the dinner.

And why?

Thank you guys!

Ivush

30 Sep 2009      

moravc
Czech Republic

"Tom burnt his hand when he was cooking dinner." seems just perfect!
burnt - short finished action,
was cooking - long action in progress when the accident happened...
If you want to use present perfect, I would say "Tom has burnt his hand."
present perfect with no time reference... the sentence means:
Tom �s hand is in bandage, because he had an accident.
The accident happened recently, but we don´t know when exactly...
The time of the accident is not so important as  the result - "burnt hand"

30 Sep 2009     

ivush
Czech Republic

Thank you!

I have asked just to ensure I was right.

Because my boyfriend �s university teacher told him that the correct answer here was "have burnt".

Ivush

30 Sep 2009     

khattouch
Morocco

Both are correct and it depends on the situations or what we are speaking about.
If we speak about what happened to Tom last summer for example. the first sentence is correct

Tom burnt his hand when he was cooking the dinner
Two actions in the past one interrupted by another: Past continuous and simple past

But if I meet Tom and I see that he has a problem with his hand then the second sentence is correct . Tom has burnt his hand when he was cooking the dinner.
we use present perfect to speak about a past action that has an effect or result in the present .Tom has not recovered yet . But in the first sentence he has recoverd

30 Sep 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

The second choice seems incorrect to me, I agree with Moravc.  You are telling us when so I would not use the Present Perfect in saying �Tom as burnt his hand when he was cooking the dinner.  I would merely say �Tom has burnt his hand �.  I would also leave out �the dinner � and put only dinner. The is not necessary.

30 Sep 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Only the first one is right: we use the simple past and past continuous combined to tell an action in progress was interrupted by other.

Past continuous is used to describe the background to past actions.

You will never find present perfect and past continuous together this way.

30 Sep 2009     

mamamima
Zimbabwe

to me, the second choice is inappropriate precisely because the "when.. clause " sets a specific time reference that does not apply to present perfect.
 regards
mamamima

30 Sep 2009     

hafedhenglish
Tunisia

if burning hands has a result in the present such as
he can �t use pens , the second choice is relevent but spekiing in general
the first choice is more correct

30 Sep 2009     

zoemorosini
United States

I agree with Moravc and Giovanni.

The second form is NOT correct in any way.  Sorry to your boyfriend �s prof and Khattouch.

However, a sentence using Past Perfect is OK.  For example, "Tom had burnt his hand before cooking dinner."  (The "he was" is optional.)  In this particular sentence, you �re saying that the cooking was in the past, and the burning of his hand happened at some point prior to the action of cooking.  Basically, the burnt hand had nothing to do with the cooking at all.

Great question, and good job catching the professor �s error!

--Zoe Morosini

30 Sep 2009     

Adel A
Egypt

The first sentence is correct as far as i know

30 Sep 2009     

abdel
Morocco

only the first sentence is correct!
tom burnt his hand when he was cooking dinner.
"was cooking dinner" is an action that was in progress at a certain time in the past. hence, it goes that there was a reference to a past time, and so the present perfect can �t be used. we are only concerned with the BURNING  and not any result whatsoever. the act of burning definitely happened in past in the middle of the cooking action. Enen though Tom is still in bandage, we will never use the present perfect!
Consider:
John: what happened to your hand Tom?
Tom: I burnt myself.
     &
John: what �s wrong with your hand , Tom?
Tom: i �ve burnt myself.
ALL IN ALL THERE IS NO WAY WE CAN ASSOCIATE PAST CONTINUOUS WITH PRESENT PERFECT.
cheers .

1 Oct 2009     

1    2    Next >