Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > a smiliar idiom    

a smiliar idiom

epit
Turkey

a smiliar idiom

Yesterday I learned the idiom It was all Greek to me!" but here inTurkey we use a smiliar idiom to this,I remained French .I �m strange to this subject.Is there an idiom smiliar to this one ? We can �t say It is all Greek to me.We have common a lot of things like food (pilaki,sarma,baklava and halva)and Karagoz and Hacıvat from history.Do we use an idiom  like I remained French in English ?.Thanks from now.

30 Sep 2009      

mariamit
Greece

Hi epit,
You �re right we do have so much in common. In English if you want to say you don �t understand something you say " It �s all Greek to me". I can only think of one other thing to say"It �s gibberish" and you can say" it looks like gibberish" or "it sounds like Gibberish " . I don �t think you can use French or anything else. Maybe someone else can think of other things.
By the way in Greek we say "It �s Chinese to me."

30 Sep 2009     

wolfy
Chile

you could say some one is talking double dutch.
if you say a rude word #### : pardon my French.

30 Sep 2009     

carinita
Argentina

How about this one?
It �s above my head (Beyond my ability to understand)

30 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

"It �s beyond me." - is a very common phrase. 

30 Sep 2009     

mamamima
Zimbabwe

i also know the idiom  "it �s double dutch" witha similar meaning.

30 Sep 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Wow, here in Russia, when people accidentially say a bad word, they also say "Pardon my French". ANd if, for instance, there is a text and the menaing of it is not clear, some people may ask: "Is it in Chinese?"
Another phrase that can be used and it �s not an idiom is " It makes no sense". But that �s not an idiom...

30 Sep 2009     

epit
Turkey

Thanks for your answers

30 Sep 2009     

wolfy
Chile

Any more idioms with countries?

How about if we go dutch on this one?

30 Sep 2009     

ituska
Slovakia

Here in Slovakia if you do not understand anything, you can say - It � like a Spanish village.

30 Sep 2009     

ituska
Slovakia

pardon: It � s like a Spanish village

30 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >