Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Translation as homework    

Translation as homework

epit
Turkey

Translation as homework

Have you ever given a passage ,poem or a text translation as homework for 7 th or 8 th graders?It is not good way of teaching language I know, but I wonder.Thanks for your reply

1 Oct 2009      

mariannina
Italy

I agree with you, but it seems that many teachers use translations into their languages, even in primary schools Thumbs Down Unhappy 

1 Oct 2009     

winky2
United Kingdom

No, never.
Sometimes I only give students some sentences to translate into English, especially when a huge difference between Polish and English structure is cosidered. Eg. in Polish we don �t say I �m 15 years old, but I have 15 years. That �s why it �s very difficult for students to remember the correct structure. Translating can be helpful in here.

1 Oct 2009     

yalanguz
Turkey

Translation is for sure a good way of language learning. I offer you never to hesitate to useit as a homework task. It is good for both target language and the native. Making translations enables you to remember not only the structures but also the vocabulary, but some teachers use it too often to teach and it damages the speaking abilities of students deeply. They first think in native and then translate it into the target and it is too difficult, slow and results a lot of mistakes. I think as it is valid in everything, there should be a balance of using it. Best Regards.

1 Oct 2009     

mr.dgdln
Turkey

my pedagogic education says we must avoid over use of translation.

1 Oct 2009     

Allisa
Bulgaria

I can �t agree that we should forget about using translations in the teaching process. Last year I asked my 9 graders to make a list of their favourite topics and then I found a different text for each of them. Their task was to translate the texts and to learn the new vocabulary. I think my students were highly motivated to do this because each of them had the chance to learn more about the things that interested him/her - football, fashion, biology, technology and so on.

1 Oct 2009     

totya ( F )
Palestine

I also used it once and my students enjoyed it.

I bought for them small Arabic stories with pictures and they translated the words into English  then they pasted their translation instead of the original words.

Every day a student come and read her story to the students.
Finally they voted for the best one and she got a prize.

But I never asked them to translate from English to Arabic. and I �ll never do that.

1 Oct 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Personally, I avoid translation. It takes a university degree to become a translator so why would I ask my students to translate a text?
I think you need students to be really strong in the second language to have them translate because there are many layers in a text.

1 Oct 2009     

Copa
Italy

I use translation but just for sentences, not poems or texts. In these case I find it useful to let the students understand the differnce between our languages and to learn words, idioms, and of course the language structure, so different from Italian.

1 Oct 2009     

winky2
United Kingdom

Allisa - I really like your idea :)

1 Oct 2009     

yolprica
Spain

In my opinion it �s a great way to learn a foreign language because you realise the differences between languages.

1 Oct 2009     

1    2    Next >