Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Present prefect simple or continuous?    

Present prefect simple or continuous?

Roclam
Italy

Present prefect simple or continuous?

Hi!
 Which one sounds more correct to you?

I haven �t had dinner with Jane since October.
I haven �t been having dinner with Jane since October.

I have googled both options, and both are there, but ...I still don �t know which one sounds more natural to native speakers.

Thank you for your help!!!!

23 Nov 2009      

anatavner
Israel

The first one is correct.

23 Nov 2009     

maoopa
China

Grammatically, both should be right; but, since (I think) the important part of the sentense is the time or duration, the most accurate one is the PPC.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Mauro

23 Nov 2009     

esl-help
Morocco

Hi !
Obviously , it �s the first one " I haven �t had dinner with Jane since October .
We are talking here about an action which hasn �t taken place since a date . The continuous form of the present perfect is rather  used in the affirmative form to denote that the action is still continuing up to now or the action has been  repeated many times since a date up to now as in :
1 - They have visited us many times .
2- They have been visiting us since 2002 " regularly".
 Both are correct here , but the first is more a fact than putting stress on regularity as is the case with the second . Hope I gave you a clue . thanks

23 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

To determine which one is more correct we need a context to understand which meaning is most appropriate in the situation.

1. �I haven�t had dinner with Jane since October.� This means that you have had dinner with Jane in the past, quite possibly only occasionally/infrequently, and that you haven�t had dinner with her since then.

2. �I haven�t been having dinner with Jane since October.� This means that you frequently/regularly/usually had dinner with Jane, but since October you have changed your routine.

Regards,
AB

23 Nov 2009     

maoopa
China

Many many answers. I guess the best way to decide is going to a source.
See

Even though I would rather use the first one, I still think that both are grammatically correct; but I find Allien Boy �s answer somehow unclear.

Best regards,

Mauro

23 Nov 2009     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with maoopa and alienboy. I can think of scenarios where each would be the most appropriate response depending on the situation.

SCENARIO ONE
As a response to: "I made a reservation for a restaurant tomorrow evening, Friday, since I know that you and Anne have your dinners on Saturdays."

Oh, that is very considerate of you, Dear, but actually haven �t been having dinner with Jane since October. So, we could have gone out on Saturday evening. (The emphasis is on the habit which was continued over a period of time with an implied effect on the present.).

SCENARIO TWO
When was the last time you had dinner with Jane, Dear?

Oh, gosh! It �s been ages. Let me think...According to my calendar, haven �t had dinner with Jane since October. (The emphasis is on the date, and it has no implied effect on the present. It is over with in the speakers mind, and the speaker is no longer concerned with a current impact in the present).

23 Nov 2009     

alien boy
Japan

I �ll clarify a little bit

The first statement means that having dinner with Jane may not be a regular event. It could be, but it doesn�t have to be.

The second statement means that having dinner with Jane was a regular occurrence. The individual changed their routine in October, so it no longer occurs. It can be read as a response about the current situation  & when the change in routine occurred.

To decide which is more correct depends on how specific the individual making the statement wishes to be about their routine. If having dinner with Jane was part of their normal routine/daily/whatever/ ritual ... then the 2nd statement is more accurate than the first if they changed their routine in October.

The link you�ve given is very useful, Mauro, but it doesn�t provide the context to determine which answer is more correct - especially as no context has been provided by Roclam.

Cheers,
AB

p.s. Nice examples there Redcamarocruiser! (I think I�d better go to bed... I can�t read properly now!)

23 Nov 2009     

maoopa
China

That �s why I love this site, because of professionals like you guys.

Best wishes,

Mauro

23 Nov 2009     

miyoko71
Morocco

Hi everybody,
I �m for the first sentence. with "since" and "for" we normally use the present perfect or the past perfect.

23 Nov 2009     

Roclam
Italy

Thank you for all you help! Sorry I hadn �t provided a context, but the sentences were actually in a test and they were  out of context. In that case both are correct, but the explanations have been extremely useful! We never stop learning ;-)

23 Nov 2009