Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > ..................................    

zailda
Brazil

Well, I have no idea which of my ss had sex or not because I �m not their mother or therapist. If you feel comfortable raising such a topic in class go ahead, but for my turn, teaching standard English is enough and I prefer to keep such aspects of their personal lives out ot discussion in class. If they use this kind of vocabulary outside they didn �t learn it from me and I won �t let them use it in class.

Moralist? No. But I believe any thing or behavior belongs to a certain place or situation, but this ws won �t have place in my class and I prefer my ss learn things like those from others - if they find it necessary. For me, learning how to have a rude language doesn �t take even 2 minutes of my schedule.

21 Dec 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

This worksheet is stolen and therefore should be removed.  I posted the link in the �abuse reports �.

21 Dec 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Teaching trash is not a priority for any teacher. If kids learn to speak trashy language at home, then it is our job to try and eradicate this language which is nothing short of the lowest denominator in communication.

Our job is to lift up - not drag down into the slums. Kids allowed to speak rude and disgusting language have no future in the working world.
I also think that this language is sexist and stereo-types girls7women as sex objects and boys/men as machos with nothing but sex on the brain.

It is truly our job to break down these stereo types and teach children to respect each other as human beings.
Hard job with the way women and girls are exploited in commercials and Music videos.

L

21 Dec 2009     

gabitza
Romania

Well, yes I downloaded this Ws although I don �t teach adolescents or adults. Considering this Ws is stolen - see the reporting page - it will be removed, anyway.
I don �t know the reason why the others downloaded it, but I guess many of them saw the idea behind the bad language. I was drawn to this �Ws � by the title - to be honest - it sounded great �What if Santa wrote back �.
Now, when I watched the preview I saw the kids messages and the part where Santa calls the kid �gullible � and that one where he makes fun of the boys handwriting. So I downloaded it and yes, I thought the idea was fun and I could adapt this to my Ss level.
Of course I never used / will use that kind of language in the class / home. I feel stupid that maybe you think I considered that king of language �funny �.
I agree with the moderators who said that this kind of language does not belong here. I voted for removal for this one, too as I did for the one a few days ago.
I �m not trying to exculpate here. I really though this Ws was �innocent �. Silly me! I also think that many other downloaders were tricked into it like me.
Hugs,
Gabitza

21 Dec 2009     

serene
Greece

Sometimes I don �t read the whole content of a worksheet in detail before downloading it but I always check it thoroughly before using it in class. So there is no way this worksheet could find its way into my classroom.

21 Dec 2009     

monchis
Mexico

You �re right Zailda, and I totally agree with you. What I tried to say is that students have access to lots of wrong information and sometimes they need guidance (which I believe most be given by parents in the first place).
I personally don �t see how we could use this topic in class, but our students (in Junior-High) have a class in which they get information related to sexuality and birth contol but nobody dares to use vocabulary like the used in the ws.
Somebody mentioned that this ws had been downloaded several times, so I was wondering if somebody found it useful for esl purposes or just used this page as a free way to upload dirty stuff, and if so, is that person a real teacher?

Can this person be blocked?
This page is too great to allow things like this appear on it!

21 Dec 2009     

Malvine
Latvia

That �s why I am strictly against writing all those exalted and rapturous comments just UPON downloading! And people have been put to shame again and again for NOT writing comments on the spot! And then you read all those "Fantastic! Original! Great! Nice! Imaginative! and bla bla bla!", download the WS and.. it �s full of mistakes, not original at all, and, as it turns out, sometimes even downright rude. So why not FIRST read the WS, use it in class and only then write all those exalted comments? Do we praise a dish BEFORE eating? "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

21 Dec 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I have not seen last week �s sheet that was deleted so I can �t really compare. What I know is that I �d get in trouble if this printable made its way to my students. The language is vulgar and does not belong in a classroom.
It �s true that our students know a lot more than we believe but there is so many better ways to teach them.

The debate should not be too long for this one since the material was copied and pasted from another website. However, it won �t be long until another printable shows up in the contribution page. What will we do then?

21 Dec 2009     

fletsch
Canada

I am one of the downloaders of this worksheet.  When I quickly scanned it, before downloading it, I thought it was a great idea for a worksheet.  Of course, I would never use this worksheet "as is" in my University classroom.  I have already given the worksheet a �facelift � and now it is great for my classes.  I think that most people who downloaded this worksheet liked the idea of the worksheet, not the bad language.

21 Dec 2009     

Samantha.esl
Italy

This worksheet is copied after all BUT what if it wasn �t!? It has been taken from some ESL website too!?? wow

I completely agree witht he fact that this worksheet is inappropriate in all its ways to take into a classroom. I sometimes fear the same things some teachers have expressed in this thread too.. (the fact that there are �teachers � who can stand in front of a class and hand in such material) ...

I don �t really know how some teachers manage to be at the same level as the students and see no harm in handling this vocabulary in a class. OF course, teenagers nowadays are not that inocent and know many things, and have had sex.. But we are not there to be their �friends � and pretend we are cool! because we know their �language �!
It is very sad to think that some teachers step aside from their real role in the class and allow these things..

Of course, I do know some members made a mistake in leaving such great comments without really checking the vocabulary. And we often do this, we want to praise the person and the lovely worksheet because most surely we won �t come back to search for the worksheet and say thanks.. So I often do the same.. but I disregard this kind of material. I can �t imagine myslef in a class explaining the meaning of such rudeness.. And I don �t consider I �m old fashioned.
It �s like some teacher once said to me at school. .. �Why don �t you use this singer in class? � and I said..: �because I can �t see myslef explaining to students how the person refers to drugs all the time in his songs and also to sex.. and many other obsene words.."
And she replied: "Ohh don �t be afraid of that... students know!.. I was completely puzzled and felt I was the wrong one.. who can �t deal with such issues in class... ANd I could not do it.. How can I explain such rudeness to students!? ... I think some teachers become friends of their studetns and things look diffferent.. I couldn �t do that!..

21 Dec 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >