Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Contributing on two different sites    

Contributing on two different sites

Roman Svozilek
Czech Republic

Contributing on two different sites

Dear all,

I honestly do not know what else to do so I have decided to post a topic here.

My name is Roman Svozilek, I joined this site about three years ago under the nicname goofy75.

I sent three worksheets and gained some points. Everything was just fine. I loved it here.

Then, in August 2008, I joined our local website www.helpforenglish.cz where I started publishing articles, worksheets, tests and so on.

I did use those three forwksheets from here as well, but added many many more. At the moment I have more than 200 articles there. I cannot put them all here since most of them are in Czech, or explain things in Czech. (I actually published a review of this fantastic site on helpforenglish.cz. It was great success.)

I did, however, posted a few more here (the same worksheets that I have on helpforenglish.cz). I got a message from one administrator. The message accused me of stealing the material from the above mentioned site. I explained it to the person and she said to add the comment next to each contribution. I did so and now, next to my ws, you can see �also available at www.helpforenglish.cz �.

Nevertheless, I lost a few worksheets with comment that it has been stolen. I even wrote to Victor and explained.

I downloaded my worksheets back and erything seemed quite fine, until today.

Yesterday I actually posted three more worksheets and today I got a message from a different administrator (moderator), that I should state the fact that I contribute to a different site right in my profile.

I did so, and even changed my nickname from goofy75 to Roman Svozilek (my real name).

She then said it was fine like that. However, I just received a message from administration system that one of my worksheets has been deleted. AGAIN!
And it actually is not a new ws, but an old one which has been there for two months.

I honestly don �t know what else to do to prove that it is me. Roman Svozilek at helpforenglish.cz and Roman Svozilek (goofy75) at eslprintables are inded in person.

If you send an email to the author Roman Svozilek on helpforenglish.cz (there is his/my email address), it will end up with me.

AM I THE ONLY PERSON PUBLISHING ON TWO DIFFERENT SITES.

I am indeed quite frustrated from all that.

Thank you all for your comments, advice, suggestions and help.

Kind regards,

Roman Svozilek

8 Jan 2010      

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Dear Roman, that kind of situation wouldn �t happen if some members here cared enough to write another one stating his/her doubt BEFORE reporting.

I, personally only report wss as stolen if I know they �re taken from known websites like englishpage.com and others (and obviously the scribd nBS worksheets - quite a hit here in eslprintables). but that doesn �t seen to be the common sense.

I was sorry to hear your case and I hope after your post in the forum it won �t happen again and you �re not that upset, and keep uploading useful resources, I �m sure they will be appreciated. Be sure to add some kind of layout and colors and stuff to get your ws noticed (I was given the same advice when I joined), this is really important here in order to get points when you start and get use out of the resources of the site. After a little while you can get more points than you �ll ever need (some - few, sure - users have more points than the number of total printables in here).

I hope people read your post and the same injustice does not happen again.

Best regards and see you around!!!
Wink

Bruna.

8 Jan 2010     

occurin�
Spain

The moderators here do a great job of keeping the site "clean", using their own time. We uploaders can take simple steps to easily prevent this occurring. Probably someone flagged a worksheet of yours without seeing the changes in your profile, or some other confusion... clearly it�s not fair, but these things happen easily when things are not clear from the beginning.

Basically, I think it is easier for uploaders to take steps to avoid this problem from the start, than it would be to shift the responsibility onto moderators.

If you upload sheets in two places just reference ESL Printables in the other place, and the Czech site here, and put a reference in the worksheet description too. Problem solved.

8 Jan 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

I am the one who advised to Roman put a notice about the reference, and he DID so. I mistakenly reported his wss for the first time and after that he put the reference in the description. Today in the morning I found out another of his wss has been reported and the moderator even wrote something like" It �s also published on www.helpforenglish.cz". Please, think twice - why would someone noticed the site in the description? Probably because he doesn �t want to have his wss removed as copies.
I alreday wrote a PM to the moderator who caused this and I believe she will get things sorted out. Iˇve been a member of www.helpforenglish.cz for several years now and the name Roman Svozilek is very known there.

@Roman, I sent you a PM.

Regards, Michaela

8 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I find it veeeeery disturbing that a member that copies things from http://www.britishcouncil.org/ comes in here to say that moderators work hard to keep the site clean...

Before I, or someone else, report those, you should get the opportunity very few have to explain yourself, occurin�

Even though the moderators work hard, yes, to keep the site clean, we are not able to �catch � all the cheaters and more often than I would like, we put our hands over feet and report unfairly.

It is said under your wss that it �s not copyrighted but this is what is possible to be found:

Taken from the Bank of descriptors for self assessment in European Language Portfolios
� Council of Europe, Language Policy Division

That � makes a statement.

And even if that was the case... most moderators are under the thought that MEMBERS MUST UPLOAD ESL RESOURCES OF THEIR OWN. Stating "design and presentation are my own" does not make it your ESL resource nor does it make you allowed to publish it online as your own. There �s nothing different apart from the fact that you took a pdf file and pasted it to a doc file.

How should a moderator proceed in such case?

8 Jan 2010     

donapeter
Romania

i �ve made a simple calculation and I can �t see from where OCCURIN � has 91 points. There �s smth fishy, indeed. 

8 Jan 2010     

alexcure
Poland

Dear Roman,
I admire you because you share your ws on two sites. You are a wonderful person who shares. I do hope the administrators and moderators will help you solving your problem. I think you deserve a reward for what you do for other teachers,
Have a good day,
Alex

8 Jan 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

The system is really failing you :(

Moderators should have an ability to ad notes to an account that only other moderators can see, or flag an account as "safe" or "approved" "violator" "suspicious" or "prone to innocent mistakes" etc.

People shouldn �t be so trigger happy with reporting either, if there is any doubt in your mind you should contact the person who created the worksheet, especially if something exists on another site, there is no reason not to believe that the person is the original creator of the document. Innocent until proven guilty!

8 Jan 2010     

occurin�
Spain

I got the info from a PDF I found on the internet, which was from the swiss government.

It was this document: www.coe.int/T/DG4/Portfolio/documents/appendix2.pdf

I put it into a Word file, instead of PDF so that it can be updated and adjusted according to needs (I want to change it substantially for my own students). I specifically mentioned that I didn�t write the text in the comments! I don�t have the knowledge or skill to write technical pieces such as that. The document I saw didn�t mention anything about copyright (I assumed logically, since it is a resource from the government made for teachers).  If I was deliberately violating copyright, why would I admit that I didn�t write these sentences?

If I have violated copyright (of course unintentionally), I will delete the files from here and just use them for myself.  Please could you helpfully provide a link to show where the text is copyrighted?

Edit: I just googled the reference

www.britishcouncil.org/colombia-english-cef-general-english-self-assessment-check-list-english.pdf

The text is clearly copyrighted. I will delete the Word reproductions I have uploaded. I will only say in my defence that the source I got it from didn�t list it as copyrighted. Also apologies if my bluntness offended anyone, it seemed to be the culture on this forum, judging by past responses I have had, but I will be more careful next time.

Edit2 : Relevant to the thread, I think RabbitWho�s suggestion of flagged accounts is a good one.

8 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I will have to call the paramedics to get my foot out of my mouth.
I have just gone against everything I wrote. I judged you before checking. I deeply and honestly apologized for that occuring �

I will take you sincere words to be true and yes, advise you to delete those contributions, you are allowed to upload copyrighted things if you cite the source AND also add your own ESL RESOURCE to it.

Resources that can be found online are no to be uploaded solely in eslprintables.com.

Again, I �m sorry for my misjudgement.

Best wishes in you endeavors.

Bruna.

8 Jan 2010     

occurin�
Spain

You didn�t go against what you said at all, because you gave me a chance to respond.... And you were totally right to point out a copyrighted document. Thanks for the explanation about adding ESL resources.

8 Jan 2010     

1    2    Next >