Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Traditional drinks & beverages    

Traditional drinks & beverages

Emy Lee
Canada

Traditional drinks & beverages

Hello everyone,

I �m currently teaching food and drinks to my adult students, and I thought it would be a nice idea to work with international cuisine.

I could easily find traditional food, but I �m having a hard time finding traditional drinks and beverages from other countries. So I �m asking for your help.

Is there a typical, traditional drink in your country?

For example, I �m from the province of Quebec, Canada, and we have this drink called Caribou, a mix of red wine and spirit. Add a little maple syrup to it, and voil� ^^

Thanks in advance !! Cheers ^^

18 Jan 2010      

Gia Mel
Chile

Hello There!

Here our traditional meals are:

"Empanadas de Pino" That would be something like "Meat Pastries"
"Pastel de Choclo" That would be like "Corn pie"
In beverages, We have "Pisco Sour" Which is traditional in Peru too.

Here there some good webpages:

18 Jan 2010     

vardaki
Cyprus

In Cyprus we have this traditional drink named "Zivania"                              
http://www.mlahanas.de/Cyprus/LX/Zivania.html

I am looking forword to offer you a glass...   And then... sweet dreams!!!

18 Jan 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

in puerto rico we have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi%C3%B1a_colada

18 Jan 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

In Italy a traditional drink is limoncello it is an Italian citrus-based lemon liqueur that is served well chilled in the summer months.

18 Jan 2010     

Cartuxa
Portugal

Our traditional meals in Portugal include codfish or  sardines  and as for the drink, it �s red wine , Oporto wine or Sangria!

18 Jan 2010     

yessi
Chile

Hi ... I �m also from Chile...
and here we have a traditional winter drink that is called "navegado".
It is made of red wime plus sugar and cinnamon.
First of all, you have to boil re wine and then add the sugar, cinnamon and also some orange peel.
It �s deliciois and you can drink it as a dessert.
Hope it can be useful for you.

18 Jan 2010     

monchis
Mexico

Well, we have lots of typical drinkbut I think Tequila, mezcal and aguardiente are the most representative alcoholic drinks.
When it�s cold, mainly in the morning, we drink atole which is a hot drink made with corn flour (it can be made with water or milk and chocolate, vanilla or fruit).
In winter, mainly during the "posadas", we drink ponche (boiled water with cinamon, brown sugar and fruit). Ahhh, I was forgetting the "tepache" ( drink made of  pineapple "skin"?).

Some beverages sound strange but they are good.

18 Jan 2010     

dennismychina
China

Hi, You can�t have food of the word without including South African food and drinks. (Mmmm)

South African Cuisine is as diversified as its population. It�s a wonderful mix of adapted traditional food. (Mainly Dutch, Malay, French and indigenous people.) Later the English and Indians added their food to the mix

This is a link to a South African Cookbook Site.

http://www.africhef.com/South-African-Recipes.html

Rooibos Tea (Redbush) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos  (herbal tea)

Although there is a very wide range of alcoholic drinks available (as in most countries) a typically South African drink would be Brandy and coke. For sports meeting (or other serious outing ) take a two liters bottle of coke, pour out one third (no serious drinker drinks neat coke) and fill up with brandy.

Another brandy drink would be boere (farmer) coffee. Make your normal cup of strongly brewed coffee and add a good tot of brandy. Great for cold early mornings.  Cold any times actually�..

And then there is wine of cause. Brought into S.A. Dutch East Indian Company in the mid 1600 hundreds.  You can enjoy a bottle of good estate wine for as little as 2 to 4 Euros.

Some more really traditional drinks recipes can be found below. (Complements of a new Canadian) Home Made Ginger Beer, Pineapple Beer, Rooibos Tea with Orange and Honey Syrup, Van der Hum Liqueur, Peppermint Liqueur, Orange Liqueur, Lemon Juice,  Roibos Tea Ginger Beer and Cherry Liqueur.

http://funkymunky.co.za/thirsty.html

Enjoy,

Dennis

18 Jan 2010     

Larisa.
Russian Federation

As for Russian drinks an beverages you can find info there.

Here in Siberia we really like kvass. It�s made of rye bread. We usually drink it in summer when it�s hot. My mum makes the best kvass! But you can also buy kvass in bottles. But it usually tastes not so good as home-made kvass.
We also drink mors (pronounced as [morrs]) made of raspberry, strawberry or black currants. And when we have a high temperature we drink cranberry mors.
If somebody drunk too much vodka the night before they like to have a glass of rassol next morning. Almost every family makes pickled cucumbers and tomatoes in autumn so we have enough rassol for those Smile
. Russian kvass

Bottled kvass

mors

18 Jan 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

In Russia it �s pelmeni (something like ravioli), borsch (beetroot soup), shchi (cabbage soup), okroshka (soup made of  onion (the green part), egg, potato and kvas ), kvas (a beverage), shashlyk, kournik (chicken pie), bitochki (like cutlet or chop),  kasha, kutia, Zebra cake, Russian salad (salad with beetroot, onion, carrot and pickled cucumbers), Olivier salad, tabaka chicken, basturma, chebureki (pies with meat and onion).

These dishes are very popular in Russia and almost every woman knows how to make them.
I should say that some of these dishes derived from Ukrainian, Uzbek, Caucasian or other cuisine becuse there are many peoples and nationalities in our country, but almost every Russian family has some of these dishes for breakfast, lunch dinner or supper every day. Maybe is should be said "Food traditionally eaten in Russia"

Here you can find some recipes  http://www.ruscuisine.com/recipes/

18 Jan 2010     

1    2    3    Next >