Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > ..................................    

______
Germany

22 Jan 2010      

donapeter
Romania

Dear S,
To be a teacher in my country, Romania, is not the best choice one can make! That �s for sure!
It was my dream to become a teacher. My parents disagreed and aonvinced me to study Computer science. Well.......when i grew up, i decided to be a techer anyway and I studied English.
I have been teaching English for 8 years now and ....I am not so sure it �s my real vocation.

22 Jan 2010     

occurin�
Spain

Dear Silke,

Thanks for an interesting question. I had done some really boring jobs working in offices and corporations, and the atmosphere at those jobs was killing me.... I knew I had to find something where I could be creative, use my brain a bit, and take responsibility, even if the money was less. Teaching has met all those criteria, so I�m satisfied with the decision.  Of course, I also had to find something I could do without speaking great Spanish, and my sociology degree wasn�t going to be much help in that department....

22 Jan 2010     

priorita
Ukraine

First, I agree with donapeter because in Ukraine the problem is the same - in general teachers are not paid and respected as they deserve. But I like this work. Second, I fully support occurin � because I am not the person who can sit in front of computer, telephone or stupid boss (unfortunately, I had such kind of experience) from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m.

I heard once, that a teacher is always on the stage. And I really am. Besides, except creative work I have enough time to write a dissertation, work as an interpreter and guide.

Hugs from snowy Ukraine.

22 Jan 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I come from a family of teachers: my uncles and aunts are teachers; my sisters and cousins are teachers as well.

I refused to be a teacher for many years, but when I was 40 years old I quit my job as a bank teller and was unemployed.

The school director where I had studied Spanish and English asked me to participate in a two-week teachers � training, and since I had nothing better to do I agreed. After the course, the director asked me to teach Spanish classes once a week, and since I was still unemployed I thought that it wouldn �t hurt.

After one year teaching I was completely addicted: I was teaching 12 classes (English & Spanish), from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., from Monday through Saturday.

I think it �s in my blood because after I started I couldn �t stop. I am retired (since 2007) but keep teaching, I can �t help it!

22 Jan 2010     

vardaki
Cyprus

Become a teacher here is one of the best choices you have. Not too much working hours, big salary, respect and good conditions in work.
 But this wasn �t a dream for me because I thought I had no patience and I wanted something more creative.
 After the conquest of the half island in 1974, no work for many people here. My parents as refugees, urged me to study teacher and work in public schools. I passed the exams and after 4 years studies  I became a primary school teacher.
And I am proud of my job because I LOVE IT. And I have too much ... patience!Wink

HAVE A NICE WEEKEND

22 Jan 2010     

mariamit
Greece

I decided to become a teacher because I love young people. I �ve always gotten along very well with teenagers so I went into middle school. While living in the US I also taught adults but I didn �t enjoy it as much. When I married my husband and moved to Greece I wasn �t sure about teaching. In Greece, teachers are underpaid also. The working hours although are better than in most professions.  That �s how I got into it.
Now twenty eight years later I am certain I made the right decision. Why? Well it �s a job that keeps me young at heart. A job that allows me to touch (hopefully positively) the lives of others. Of course the most important point for me is that it �s a job that keeps me on my toes- I not only teach but continuously learn. That, for me, is as important as breathing.

22 Jan 2010     

tea4er
Russian Federation

I can say for sure that teaching is my cup of tea!!!
First of all children - such naive creatures Smile
Then - the English language I can`t live without and even can`t imagine my life without school... Of course, it`s also underpaid but a lot of duties to do :-(
You see 2010 - in Russia is a so-called "the year of a teacher"

Sometimes bad thoughts occur to me - to quit the work and start doing something different
What can it be? I don`t know... 
there`s the presentation ppt. "The qualities of a teacher" (have a look  http://www.eslprintables.com/powerpoint.asp?id=14493#thetop)  

22 Jan 2010     

Anapereira
Portugal

As for me, I decided to become a teacher when I was still attending Primary school. I remember arriving home and trying to teach my grandfather (now dead) how to write his name. And when I was playing with my friends, I always wanted to be THE TEACHER! Then I grew up and I started to learn English. I thought it was awsome! So, at that time I decided I no longer wanted to be a Primary teacher but still wanted to be a teacher and teach English to youngsters. I had an amazing English teacher when I was attending the 10th grade and she definitely was my role model. She was very creative and a true inspiration. I decided I wanted to be like her. I went to college and  did a training course for one year long. I must say I �m quite happy about it and I �ve been teaching for 10 years now. I can create a lot of stuff, use new technologies to motivate my students (even though many of them don �t give a damn!) and I can keep my brain active! I don �t regret having taken this decision. It �s not the best paid job in the world and it �s getting too "bureaucratic" (if I can use the word) here in Portugal but, well, life isn �t perfect!

22 Jan 2010     

DUSIA
Poland

I have been working as a teacher for almost 14 years... And it all started just by chance. I studied... African languages (Hausa language from Nigeria) and history of Africa at Warsaw University... after studies I had no idea what to do with my life and just to keep myself busy I started to work as a teacher... and I �ve just got stuck... Which I consider a good luck!  More free time than my friends working in an office have... HOLIDAYS!!!!... Salary... Well, it could be better... But the best thing is thet you cannot get bored dealing with children or teenagers... You have to be ready all the time and it keeps me alive! 

22 Jan 2010     

Blasetti
Croatia

Even though I am not a teacher yet (hopefully I will be in 5 months) I have to reply :)
I �m still a student but we have a lot of practice as a part of our teacher training programme at the faculty (100 hrs) so I think I can say a few words.
I have always known I wanted to become a teacher of English. I enjoy the feeling that somebody knows something because of me. That I taught them something. Even though I REALLY want to work in a secondary school, I also have fun teaching children. They always say what they think, they show you when they are bored and when they don �t like something, etc. However, I think is a bigger challenge working with teenagers (correct me if I �m wrong).
Here in Croatia, the job is also underpaid, but I really don �t mind because this is the only thing I ever want to do and be good at. I can �t wait to start working for real!!!!!

22 Jan 2010     

1    2    Next >