Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > and or    

and or

stexstme
France

I do not agree with Zora ... Just for fun!LOL

26 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

Shocked - Sylvie!!! Traitor! Tongue LOL

26 Feb 2010     

stexstme
France

Cool!! LOLLots of love & hugs!! You, Canadian winner!! ( Olympic games...Thumbs Up)
Glued-to-Tvset-Sylv...LOL

26 Feb 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Missola - that is a contradiction:

I will read a short story and a play but I do not have time for both.

If you don �t have time for both, then you will/can only read one of them!!

Therefore the correct answer is:

I will either read a short story or a play, because I don �t have time for both.

26 Feb 2010     

lshorton99
China

I �m with Zora!

26 Feb 2010     

stexstme
France

@Ishorton: You shouldn �t : SHe is a pain!!!LOL
but a wonderful one, though ...Big smile& one of best friends you could think of !
hugs,
Sylvie

26 Feb 2010     

missola
Palestine

Dear friends:
I �m quite confused about the right answer.Miss Noor told me she has the two choices that she has written. What I know is that "but" has the contradiction meaning in it. this means that when I use but it has to contradict what comes before it. So if I use "or" in the first part, then I don �t need "but" in the second part because I already decided to read one. The second thing that confused me is the use of "both" because means that I can �t read both of them, but I have to read one. If the writer wanted to say he couldn �t read "both", he/she would have used "neither".

I need an explanation not just that native speakers say so. I don �t mean any offense to anyone but I live in the USA too and surrounded by native speakers. Again, I don �t mean any offense to anyone but I need a good explanation to the answer you choose. I can �t take grammatical things for granted because these things have rules that we have to follow.

Best regards

Ola

26 Feb 2010     

miss noor
Palestine

thanks a lot dears.

It is a confusing sentence.

In fact, I have to choose only one sentenc of them.

By the way, I think these sentences both are not correct.

ooooh

26 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

Missola - All the "but" does is emphasize the idea. It can actually be omitted.

I will read a short story or a play, (but) I do not have time for both.

PS:

Sylvie... I saw that!!! LOL Evil Smile

26 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Zora, but you need a period after play (or at least a semi-colon) if you eliminate "but"

I will read a short story or a play. I do not have time for both.

Here �s a situation to explain that "or" is the correct choice.
Your class asks you to read a story and a play to them tomorrow. You explain that it will be impossible, but that you will read one or the other. You say, "I will read a short story or a play, but I do not have time for both." You can see that what "but" is contradicting is the request to read both. It doesn �t have to contradict something actually in the sentence.

I hope this helps.

Bruce

26 Feb 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >