Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > and or    

and or

missola
Palestine

Thank you Bruce for you answer. I can say now that I �m convinced in this answer in this situation that you said. But could it also apply if we don �t have this situation in mind?

26 Feb 2010     

isabelle99
Monaco

Miss Noor, I LUV your requests because thanks to them, I use my brain a little more than usual!

26 Feb 2010     

miss noor
Palestine

Bruce
Thanks a lot . it is a good explanation.

Now I �m convinced in your answer.

26 Feb 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Missola -
you may be surrounded by English speakers - but Zora and I grew up with English.
We eat, sleep, breath and dream in English. We know more than just the words - we understand what lies beneath, we catch the undertones and connotations.
We understand how an inflection of the voice can change the meaning of a sentence.

You can say "thank you" and mean thank you.
You can also say "thank you" in such a way, that it means you �re welcome or the same to you.
We understand figures of speech without taking the words literally.
I do find it offensive that you doubt  us.

How would you feel if someone doubted you in your native language?
Not only are we native speakers - we are also teachers.

26 Feb 2010     

missola
Palestine

Libertybelle,
I didn �t mean to offend anybody and I didn �t doubt anyone. All I wanted a grammar rule to support what you are saying and if you look again to my first reply to Zora, I told her that I can �t argue with a native speaker. Then I said that I �m still confused not because I �m in doubt of what you are saying but because I was thinking about the two sentences and needed a rule so I could follow it. If you were asked by your students "why should we use �or � and not �and �, you can �t say "because I said so". We have to give them reasons. Don �t you agree with me?

Anyways, I �m sorry if I offended anyone. I didn �t mean to do this.

Sorry again and my best regards to all of you.

Ola

26 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

Oh, I forgot to comment on Miss Ola �s suggestion of "but I may not have time for neither." It should be "but I may not have time for either." Unlike many languages, in English we avoid double negatives.

Bruce

27 Feb 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3