Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Happy Baba Marta!    

Happy Baba Marta!

Allisa
Bulgaria

Happy Baba Marta!

On the 1st of March Bulgarian people celebrate a traditional holiday called Baba Marta (or Grandma Marta in English) and it is related to welcoming the approaching spring. Peolpe all over the world meet spring with joy and new hopes but in Bulgaria it is saved as an ancient tradition.
On that day Bulgarians exchange so called "Martenitsi" ("Martenitsa" - singular, "Martenitsi" - plural) and tell each other "Chestita Baba Marta!" (Happy Grandma Marta!). This custom is essentially meant to bring great health, good luck, and happiness to family and friends. The name "Martenitsa" is taken from the Bulgarian word for March, or, as a legend tells, an angry old lady called Grandma Marta - Baba Marta in Bulgarian ("baba" means grandmother and Marta comes from word "mart", which means March in Bulgarian).
In Bulgarian folklore Baba Marta is a grumpy old woman who changes her mood very rapidly and it is reflected in the changeable March weather. When she is smiling the weather is sunny and warm, but if she gets angry the cold will stay longer and it may even snow. By wearing the red and white colors of the Martenitsa our predecessors asked Baba Marta for mercy. They hoped that it will make winter pass faster and bring spring.
The Martenitsa is made of twined red and white threads - woollen, silk, or cotton. The white is a symbol of strength, purity and happiness. The red is associated with health, blood, conception, and fertility.

1 Mar 2010      

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

Celebration of Spring (Martisor) - March 1

I am from Moldova. And I remember the 1st March and Martishor very well.
On the first of March we have a good tradition to give our friends and significant others red and white symbolic flowers as a sign of spring and mutual love.

A sample of Mărţişor

Mărţişor  is a traditional celebration of the beginning of Spring, on the 1st of March. It is a tradition in Romania, and Moldova.The name Mărţişor is the of the name for March (Martie, in Romanian), and thus literally means "little" or "dear March". It is also the folk name for this month.

Mărţişor, marţ and mărţiguş are all names for the red and white (or black and white, also blue and white) string, from which usually a small decoration is tied, and which is offered by people on the 1st day of March.

Giving this Talisman to other people is an old custom, and it is believed that the one who wears the red and white string will be powerful and healthy for the year to come. It is also a symbol of the coming spring.

Usually, women wear it pinned to their blouses for the first 12 days of this month, until other certain spring celebrations, or until the bloom of certain fruit-trees.

1 Mar 2010     

donapeter
Romania

hey, neighbour!!! It seems we have almost the same celebration here!! We choose a day ( from 1st of March till 8th) and it is said we are like the day we have chosen (if sunny- we are  good, cheerful, optimistic, if rainy - we are sad, depressed and so on). My day is tomorrow , let �s find out how I am!!! (i hope it will be sunny and warm!! )
We have the red and white threads too. Students use to bring them to their teachers! 
On 8th of March , we celebrate mother �s day and on 1st of March- woman �s day!!!! 
Happy woman �s day to all the women around here!!
DWink

1 Mar 2010     

mariamit
Greece

On the 1st of March we wear red and white  threads entwinned on our wrist. We call it "Marti" and it is a very old custom here in Greece, too. We take the threads of at Easter and throw them on the Easter lamb spit or on a rose. Unfortunately it is a custom that is becoming rare amongst our young people. I guess many Balkan countries have it.

1 Mar 2010     

Anna P
Brazil

The 1st of March is also a very special day here in Rio de Janeiro. 
It is the city �s 445th anniversary.

1 Mar 2010     

Allisa
Bulgaria

I �m happy to see that there are so many people celebrating today! Smile

1 Mar 2010     

eng789
Israel

Since so many countries celebrate the 1st of March, 

I would like to wish you all a very happy day.

Enjoy

Hugs
Barbara

1 Mar 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Happy celebrations to all !! Hug

1 Mar 2010     

stexstme
France

Well, I �ve nothing interesting to add about the first of March, but I �m really happy to learn from you, friends!!!!& from your countries & cultures...
Sooo, Happy Celebrations to you all!!!Thumbs Up
Hugs from France,
Sylvie

1 Mar 2010     

procei
Brazil

Amazing topic!!!!

1 Mar 2010     

Pelletrine
France

I usely use the English saying " March comes in like a lion, and leaveses (goes)out like a lamp" ...
which quite frankly, I think is about the same thing: we don �t know "how" March will "behave", but in the end we have Spring here, and new life... sprouts, flowers and green leaves :o))
Anyway lots of best wiches for a lovely Spring to everyone here!!!!

1 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >