Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Color or colour?    

Color or colour?

vardaki
Cyprus

Color or colour?

Which  one is correct : color or colour?

THANK YOU

7 Mar 2010      

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hi Vardaki. Both  are correct, color is American English way of spelling and coloUr is British English spelling. Use whatever you like.
Have a good day :)

7 Mar 2010     

cathyvic
France

both are correct normally colour is UK english and color US english it depends on what you want to teach, normally colour is better

7 Mar 2010     

caroay
Spain

i wouldn �t say one is better than the other.. they are just different. I think we cannot say that one dialect is better than the other one. However, you may say that in different educational contexts, one of the two is PREFERRED, but not better.

7 Mar 2010     

vardaki
Cyprus

I just wrote colour and my PC underlines it.
Thank you.

7 Mar 2010     

renko6
Poland

Hi Vardaki!
Kate and cathyvic are right. The both words are correct. If you teach British English you should write COLOUR,  but if you teach American English you should write COLOR.
It would be nice to tell your students that they have 2 opportunities and it is not a mistake. Have a nice Sunday !

7 Mar 2010     

vardaki
Cyprus

Sorry again, the pronanciation is  the same?

7 Mar 2010     

TriumphTriumph
Russian Federation

I guess, it is the same. You PC underlines it, because it accepts only American spelling (cause Microsoft Office is American, if you have it)Smile

7 Mar 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Pronunication is the same.
If you type the word favoUrite in MS Word, it will also be underlined :) Only because the program was created in the US. Use whatever spelling you like, both are 100% fine.

7 Mar 2010     

renko6
Poland

That �s right the pronunciation is the same for these words 

7 Mar 2010     

Jayho
Australia

aaaah - but it only underlines it if your program is set to American English (default).  I have set mine to Australian English and it never underlines it.  You can change the default setting to whatever you are working with.  If you want to know how to do this look here.

In terms with what you should teach, I recommend you teach the version that your governing education body sets.  If they don�t have a preference then you can take your pick.

Cheers - Jayho

7 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >