Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Holocaust Memorial day    

Holocaust Memorial day

nata
Israel

Holocaust Memorial day

Here in Israel, today is a day of commemoration for the six millions of our people who died in the holocaust (including many members of my family).
Also in every Israeli school there are memorial services.

12 Apr 2010      

mrjamal
United Arab Emirates

Sorry for that.. but what �s the educational benifit  of mentioning holocaust here?

12 Apr 2010     

Afrouz
Iran

That makes me too sad. I hope the world get better and more beautiful every day.

12 Apr 2010     

nata
Israel

I believe people from all nationalities need to learn a lesson from the holocaust.
There are many things to learn, but here I will mention two main things:
1. Not to hate people because of their race or origin. In the holocaust millions of Jewish people, men women and children,  lost their lives tragically. It all started from hate and ended in the gas chambers.
2. Not to follow charismatic leaders and obey what they say without thinking about their ideas in terms of right or wrong.

I will end by quoting a holocaust survivor:

"Dear Teacher, I am the survivor of a concentration camp. My eyes saw what no man should witness: gas chambers build by learned engineers, children poisoned by educated physicians, infants killed by trained nurses and women and babies shot and burned by high school graduates. So I am suspicious of education. My request is: Help your students to become more human. Your efforts must never produce learned monsters, skilled psychopaths, educated Eichmanns. Reading, writing and arithmetic are important only if they serve to make our children more human."

Haim Ginot, Teacher and Child, 1972

12 Apr 2010     

nataliteacher
Israel

WE are not only English teachers... you target is to make your pupils think and to make decisions. The "Holocost story" will make them think and understand more about life and humanity. Poor teacher you are if you don �t care!

12 Apr 2010     

serene
Greece

Never again!

Let us condemn every act of hatred and violence wherever it may come from!

Peace in the world!

12 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

I think the  expression �those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it � is more than sufficient as a reason for teaching our students about this tragedy. There are whole generations who have no comprehension of the struggles people went through to give them the rights they abuse today.

If we don �t remember them and teach are students to do the same, then their suffering and loss will be for nothing.

I agree with the above comments - we are educators, not just English teachers.

12 Apr 2010     

jennybohmes
Argentina

May I ask you why do you celebrate it today? 

12 Apr 2010     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Thousands of non-Jews died too. It was anyone who opposed Hitler and his regime. 

12 Apr 2010     

nata
Israel

Well, this day was originally ment to be held on the anniversary for the Warsaw Ghetto uprising, but the original day of the uprising is just after the Jewish holiday of Passover, so it was moved a few days later. You can read more here:

12 Apr 2010     

gilorit
Israel

Hi
I put some information about the Rememberance Day in the cafe this morning.
Those who are intrested are welcome to read about it.
Orit

12 Apr 2010     

1    2    Next >