Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > PLEASE; FOLKS; GO EASY ON COLOUR; PICTURES; DARK BACKGROUNDS, SHADES AND LARGE FRAMES    

PLEASE; FOLKS; GO EASY ON COLOUR; PICTURES; DARK BACKGROUNDS, SHADES AND LARGE FRAMES

Catalina Sorina
Romania

Just wanted to say that some time ago I uploaded a B&W ws (3 pages, fully editable and grouped) about Conditional 1. The frame was a notebook page. The ws got 17 downloads or so.

I did this experiment, out of a little bit of cynicism, I have to confess: I deleted the ws, and copy-pasted the content, exactly as it was, on a colourful background (again a notebook page). I also added the B&W version out of respect for those who need it like that.

My point is that the first page (appearing in the recent contribution section) was colourful. THE EXERCISES WERE LITERALLY THE SAME as the previous B&W-only worksheet.

Guess what?... 106 downloads...

Regards,
Catalina

13 May 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I �m addicted to colorful and fancy ws. Of course I use pics to explain the content and prepare ws this way. In the past I used to prepare plain (boring) ws for my students, and they used to look at them and make what they were to.

Since I registered here I learned how to prepare colorful ws plenty of pictures and you know what? My students love them and always ask for more.

I solved the printing problem: now I have a blog for each class I teach. I post the pdf version and they download, print and do at home. We correct and discuss the ws in class. The result is terrific, at the end of the semester they have an entire book to study.

When I use other teacher �s ws I save them as a pdf file and send them by email to print. If the teacher allows I post it on my blog and explain: this ws was made and kindly donated by teacher...

Students love colored ws and they are easier to understand and remember. After all they are human beings and as the members here they prefer the colored ones. The content is what they have to practice and it �d be the same, B&W or in colors.

(Yesterday was not a holiday here - I think it should be though - because in 1888 Princess Isabel abolished the slavery in Brazil. Well, at least she meant that when she signed a new law...)

Have a nice day.

14 May 2010     

bill24
Thailand

Wow great all the students have computers and colour printers at home..And I thought Brazil was a poor country...Stern SmileGuess it depends how rich the school or it s�s are..Mine are in rural Thailand...When Iwin the lottery   I will supply all of them with the same..Bill

14 May 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

That wouldn �t work in Germany either, Bill.
I guess most households do have computers, but maybe not colour printers. And often my students tell me their computers or printers are out of order or they can �t connect to the internet or some other story. I could never ever rely on them to print something in advance for an English lesson, not even if I told them a week or two in advance.

And, as I said before, most of my students (I teach ages 11 to 20) would feel I was treating them like babies if I left all those pictures on the worksheets.

I �m not asking anyone to change their style.

I �m just trying to encourage people who add all that colour just for ESL �s sake and in order to get more points not to do so or to add the secret sober copy they use for their own classes.

And I would like to encourage people not to jump-press the download button for all those colourful worksheets only but to give the sober ones that center on content a chance, too.

14 May 2010     

bill24
Thailand

I like that..the secret sober copy.I am very new to this site and it was the first thing that struck me..I have however downloaded without too much thought(as you again have cautioned) and regretted it in retrospect.I am a new teacher and must SPEND my points carefully.I most likely need a 30 hour course in the use of Word too as i find it very difficult,some of the worksheets I have been unable to edit or present but have rewritten them almost completely for my own classes..Still as someone said"it would be a funny world if we were all the same"..each to his/her own..good luck to all here....

14 May 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3