Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Situation in Greece and other countries    

Situation in Greece and other countries

tefipaz
Argentina

Don �t be so sad!, try to live in Argentina we are in a constant crisis, economic, social, every kind of crisis and we are getting worse every single day! there �s not security, salaries are a disaster, there are no public services (no health, no justice) NOTHING at all!

Greece it �s a great country with such an amazing history, you �re going to get better soon! be patient!

regards
stefy =)

19 May 2010     

magneto
Greece

Thank you, Halildurak...
Keep your eyes open in Turkey - the economists usually know what they �re talking about.
As far as reacting is concerned, I hope the day will come when more people will react. And I don �t only mean on a national level...The crisis is knocking on other countries � doors, as well...
Let �s just hope we �ll all learn something from that and future generations will not have to pay for our mistakes. We are paying for the mistakes of the past and many seem to be repeating them. Let �s hope this starts changing...
Tefipaz,
I�m thinking about Argentina as I�m writing these lines...I was watching a documentary about what happened in your country the other day. I know how bad things are there...And I fear we�re going down the same road (maybe even worse, if some estimates they were talking about are correct)...
And what scares me the most is NOBODY SEEMS TO BE LEARNING...
Greetings to you all...May people wake up and start fighting back one day

19 May 2010     

gabitza
Romania

Oh dear,

Situation has gone desperate here, too (as Dona said). We �ll have to be 25% less motivated to even live... I can barely survive with what I have now. I don �t know what I will do after the government implements those measures. I don �t want to think about it, not yet... It is unfair!! Everywhere!!! The rich ones get richer and the poor ones get poorer - This is the law, the very fair law...
I �m already desperate! I just hope in a miracle... Hope is what we are left with...

A very frustrated Gabitza

19 May 2010     

magneto
Greece

Gabitza,
hope is not what we are left with...We need to start reacting.

19 May 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

gabitza and donapeter, how awful!
how do you manage to motivate yourselves for your work`?
25%? Was this for teachers only or for other professions as well?

19 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Dear elderberrywine and all ! Motivation has to come from loving to teach! If we expect any motivation from salaries here .... we �re f.... (fried !! what did you think ??) I love teaching 30 or 40 sts in the same classroom, different levels all together, and sometimes complicated family backgrounds ... And the worst is when you have a problem with one of the sts and on top of everything your superiors don �t back you up !!  So, we chose the best profession there is (I really think so !) the problem is WHERE we are living ...

19 May 2010     

donapeter
Romania

To be honest I don �t live from my salary.....I am lucky to have a husband who works hard but .....he earns money. I also must admit I print all the wss for school at his printers, i use his paper and everything. 
All state workers will have a 25% off starting from June. 

19 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Lucky you and your husband, Donapeter ! He works hard AND gets a good salary, here, in some professions, no matter how hard you work, you never get a good salary ...I �ve a husband too, but he �s having a hard time at work also, this is general. See you all later, got to go to work, now.

19 May 2010     

magneto
Greece

20% off our salaries here - for starters. And, when you work in state education, you get to work in towns far from your own. So, imagine how hard it is for teachers with families; they have to pay rent for two houses. I �m not one of them, but it �s not easy for us single ones either - we are simply doomed to never have a family of our own, because we don �t know where we �ll be next year (the explanation is in the next paragraph) and because we simply won �t be able to afford it.
There is also a sort of "points system" when it comes to transferring from one place to another. So, for instance, my home is in Athens but I work in a school in the South Peloponnese (that is, about 4 hours and a half by bus from Athens). To get transferred to Athens I need 90 points (and that number varies from one year to the next - might go up, might go down - usually goes up). Where I work I get 7 points per year. When do I get to permanently return home?...Do the math...Oh, and the position I �ve got is not my own. It �s a colleague �s who �s on a maternity leave. So, when she returns, I might end up somewhere else, or, the way things are going, perhaps even unemployed in the long run. State employees here are supposed to have a permanent job. But that is changing now. As if it were our fault when we passed our exams for getting appointed...As if we should have known that there were not actually so many positions for us, when the official announcement for the exams was that positions were open for 900 hundred English teachers (for example)...
Apart from that, money is kept from our salaries for health insurance, which, in fact, only covers basic health-related issues (like regular blood tests, etc.)...And soon doctors won �t be accepting our insurance because the state owes them money...which we have paid and will continue to pay...
And, of course, the prices and taxes only get higher...and certain people still lose none of their benefits...The ones who actually have to pay are employees (be it in the public or private sector) and small-time shop-owners...In other words, those who were paying anyway...That �s why we go on strike...That �s why we �re so angry...We feel disposable; we feel like our lives are for sale...Who would ever accept that?
My heart has been with Argentina and other countries in trouble for a long time...I guess now there is one more reason...Looks like we �re next...And I believe this is only just starting; all countries will have to suffer eventually...so that corporate vultures and politicians can live happily ever after.
Sometimes I feel really tired and old

19 May 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hello everybody,

thanks magneto for broaching this topic, although it �s not directly related to teaching, I think it �s important to talk about it. To be perfectly honest, all the time when I have recently seen the Greek flag on this forum, I have been wondering how it really looks like in Greece right now and what these people think of it, as we are not only walking books, but also humans with feelings that affect our work and how we work pretty much depends on them.

while reading all the replies above, I started to feel two opposed feelings -  a lot of sympathy and anger. In Slovakia it �s not so bad (I don �t want to say that it is perfect, not at all!!!), but we �ve already started serious worrying about our future. The crisis is everywhere, a lot of companies and factories have been closed, many people have been made redundant... and other bad things that the crisis has brought... you can imagine....But what is making us frustrated is the fact that our government doesn �t seem to learn one single lesson from the Greek situation. In a month we will elect a new government, but it �s pretty unlikely that the opposition wins... If the current government keeps on their policy, I �m afraid that we will catch you up, dear Greeks...  Unhappy

Concerning the problems of setting down, raising a family and pending between remote places, not earning a good salary... believe me, it �s the same here....

And to your first questions, of course that many Slovaks think of Greeks that it �s your fault, and you should be more modest and you should work these troubles out. Frankly, I hate this one-sided point of view, but it �s people, you know. Many people like to judge others very briefly, superficially and in black and white colours. Personally, I think that only those can judge who will prove in the future that they have learnt a lesson from this, and those, who are constantly trying to avoid such a situation in their own country. I �m afraid there aren �t many, are there? and that �s what makes me very sad. You can �t  change people, or am I a real, tough pessimist?

Everybody, wishing you a lot of energy and love.

zuzana

19 May 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >