Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Situation in Greece and other countries    

Situation in Greece and other countries

magneto
Greece

Thank you, Zuzana.
It �s good to know that at least educated people don �t see everything in black and white colours. On the other hand, it �s really depressing to know that others face the same problems (whether to a smaller or to a larger extent), which are repeated throughout history...I guess this means this world �s going to hell.
No, I fear people don �t change. Not until they hit rock bottom, at least...Maybe they start changing then...hopefully...
This is really frustrating.
Yes, we �re going to need that energy and love. All of us.
Thank you. Wishing you all the best, too.

19 May 2010     

knds
Greece

Dear friend, I think we �ll need more than energy and love. We need to act. We need to react. What has happened to Argentina is beyond reason. What is happening here is beyond imagination. We have to protect ourselves and our constitution from all these people who have been lying to us all these years. It �s incredible that some people are still supporting them and probably will vote for them again. Imagine that the �president � in Argentina was re-elected, after having betrayed his country and the people. The same thing has been happening here since 1974. Again and again, the same people, the same families. I �m sick of all that. My students ask me about many things concerning the crisis and their future and the only thing I can tell them is not to make the same mistakes we did. WHEN ARE WE GOING TO LEARN? It �s not only our problem. It �s global. There are people in Greece and around Europe who have been showing us the way out of this, who have found many solutions to this problem but the government is not listening. They don �t want a way out. They want to wipe poor people out. And it �s not only our government. All European governments are following the same path.  
"HOW CAN WE SLEEP WHEN OUR BED ARE BURNING????????" 

In my humble opinion this is one of the most educational topics. Not only for our students but also for us teachers.
I �m really glad you started this topic and it was interesting to hear what people from other countries feel as well.

Thanks magneto!!
knds 

20 May 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

Sorry for asking a very naive question, but if corrupt persons are re-elected by the PEOPLE, how can a small group of people be blamed for that? Why do these governments get re-elected when the population feels so cheated and abandoned?
I suppose it can �t be the press that ill-informs the population, because people seem to know the amount of corruption and betrayal that �s going on, so they must be reasonably informed.
I �m just trying to understand with my little safe middle-European mind... please explain... I �m so shocked to read all this ...

20 May 2010     

magneto
Greece

Dear Elderberrywine,
unfortunately ill-information by the press is a fact. Many things that reveal the corruption of our governments have only come out recently. The problem is, as in many cases, that the people who have funded these governments for all these years are the same ones who have funded the media here...So the press hasn �t always really been very informative...And, as is usually the case, the people mostly listen to mainstream media. They tend to ignore there are other sources of information.
Take this example for instance: 200,000 people took part in the last protest of May. You know that - it �s already been presented by media abroad. Unfortunately, 3 people died, which makes me hurt just to think about. Of course, they didn �t die by the protesters - protesters march peacefully, they don �t use molotov bombs. However, what was presented by the media here was this: 25,000 people marched, three people died, those who threw the molotov bombs came out of the marching crowd (I was there - that wasn �t the case), it was a mob killing! This has happened in many cases before. And, of course, no-one accused the businessman of not allowing his employees to leave the bank. The answer to their request to leave the bank due to the troubles was this: "You can leave if you wish, but don �t bother to come in tomorrow." (I know this from one of the other employees).  There are some so-called anarchists causing trouble (of course, they aren �t anarchists - anarchists respect human life above all else) and the police throw chemicals and hit the protesters. The media, of course, claim the problem are the protests...Now, most of those "anarchists" don �t wear hoods and there are security cameras everywhere...So how come no-one ever arrests them?...But the people seem to finally be waking up. There were so many of us down there on the 5th of May - some of them people who had never been on strike before - that they now know the media is not always reliable.
It is true many people have taken advantage of this corrupt political system so far and maybe that �s why these governments have been switching positions for all those years. It is also true that people have distrusted other parties, because there has been major discord among, say, the left parties, so they saw no way out. But still, it is also a fact that the majority have been misled...That �s why people are so angry now...Hopefully, this is the beginning of a change...We �ll see...
P.S.: Speaking of ill-information by the press, I wonder. Do the people in Germany know that about 90 billion euros come into their government �s hands by the military equipment Greece is forced to buy by the German government? (...Because some people want to cultivate tension between Greece and Turkey). And I also wonder, will that money ever be used for the benefit of German people? Maybe it �s time for the people in other European countries to start reacting, as well. The crisis is bound to come to us all.

20 May 2010     

magneto
Greece

Edit P.S.: I �m not writing this to accuse the German people. I �m only pointing out how the media can be misleading. I �m pretty sure the German people don �t even know their government has that money or how they got it. I know that if they knew that, they wouldn �t want it. No-one wants blood money in their hands.

20 May 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

No, in fact I �ve never heard of it nor do I even understand it. How can Germany force Greece to buy weapons? 

20 May 2010     

magneto
Greece

It was one of the terms for loaning Greece money. The French government did the same... And who knows who else has done the same and what kinds of transactions are going on among the ones in power at the cost of the people. We are all misinformed. Constantly. I - all of us, in fact - can �t even understand how politicians and financial organizations work. We can �t understand how the game is played or why it is played that way...Hence the disappointment and anger of the people.
I hope the crisis doesn �t knock on your door as hard as it has knocked on ours...But I fear the future looks bleak for all nations. You, as people, have my respect. I know there are many qualities in you that are good...In fact, people of all nations have my respect. And the people have no interest in turning against each other. But, the way things work, the people are one thing and governments are another. That �s a fact. We had to learn the hard way, as the people in Argentina and so many others did. I hope others won �t have to learn that way.
Have a nice day

20 May 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3